Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk: v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

cizko

Feb 10, 2009
decchire pretty much sums up my sentiment towards him too. No to Hall, thank you.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
The thing with Hall is that I'm pretty sure if he were traded to a really good team he would fit in wonderfully and improve in his deficient areas. The problem is we are a terrible defensive team pretty much throughout the roster and that is his biggest weakness. He would help us score, I'm sure. But at this point in time I don't think we'd get full value for Nuke and our 1st, though in a nut shell I think Hall is worth that, if that makes any sense.

If we made that trade I don't think it makes us a better, more well rounded team, which is the most important thing right now. I don't think we take any serious steps forward without adding quality defensemen and quality defensive or two-way forwards to the squad. We need a few Chris Kelly/Rich Peverley's more than we need one Taylor Hall.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The thing with Hall is that I'm pretty sure if he were traded to a really good team he would fit in wonderfully and improve in his deficient areas. The problem is we are a terrible defensive team pretty much throughout the roster and that is his biggest weakness. He would help us score, I'm sure. But at this point in time I don't think we'd get full value for Nuke and our 1st, though in a nut shell I think Hall is worth that, if that makes any sense.

If we made that trade I don't think it makes us a better, more well rounded team, which is the most important thing right now. I don't think we take any serious steps forward without adding quality defensemen and quality defensive or two-way forwards to the squad. We need a few Chris Kelley's more than we need one Taylor Hall.

Especially in a down season like this where we are full of issues despite loads of talent, it's obvious that simply adding more offensive firepower is not the fix. The last thing we want to add is a locker room cancer James Neal or Ribeiro. Patience is key. We are in a rebuild and it needs to be done right...otherwise we'll be rebuilding again in 4 years we get the wrong mix. If we were to add anyone, I would hope it would be from some who is doing well. Someone who knows how to WIN. Seabrook for instance.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
If Seabrook gets to FA he should be our #1 target. He's a guy I would be fine with overpaying because of his team resume and his personal skill set. Trading for him within the division is another story, however.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I talked to a guy who used to ref Taylor Hall in midget and is a EDM fan the other day. Hall is apparently as much of a d-bagger as he looks to be to the naked eye. Apparently it's "all about Hall". No thanks. Let's keep the ****** factor to a minimum. Seguin meets and exceeds that quota, so we don't need the other half of the potentially douchiest draft in history haha.

Hall comes to Kingston in the summer to train. I've heard some funny stories from my friends who've spent a summer here.

Seems like a beautician

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'll try and remember a few later.

I do remember right before the summer in first year, one of my friends was training at the field and Hall showed up- he said Hall was pretty friendly. Snapped a pic and signed an autograph for the guy. So it's not all negative.

I don't know how I haven't seen him in my almost 4 years here

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
I'll try and remember a few later.

I do remember right before the summer in first year, one of my friends was training at the field and Hall showed up- he said Hall was pretty friendly. Snapped a pic and signed an autograph for the guy. So it's not all negative.

I don't know how I haven't seen him in my almost 4 years here

Kingston is in Ontario correct?

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Sadly, you could probably put Benn's face up there and video sync his lip movements to those exact words and we would think it was real.

The Stars say all the right things, but game after game, just don't ever seem to improve. I have to wonder if the losing culture needs a lot more work to be overcome. It seemed to start last year, but this year, I think the Stars got overconfident and think (or thought) it should be easier.

We might not be any better team culture right now than the woeful Oil or any of the other losing teams.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Sadly, you could probably put Benn's face up there and video sync his lip movements to those exact words and we would think it was real.

The Stars say all the right things, but game after game, just don't ever seem to improve. I have to wonder if the losing culture needs a lot more work to be overcome. It seemed to start last year, but this year, I think the Stars got overconfident and think (or thought) it should be easier.

We might not be any better team culture right now than the woeful Oil or any of the other losing teams.

Agreed. This team has taken one giant step backwards this season. They've completely undone the good they did in making the playoffs last year. Our confidence is destroyed, we're beat up, and we have a LONG season ahead of us. A major shakeup is needed IMO. Vets like Daley, Goligoski, Garbutt, JoBenn, and Cole need to go. They aren't doing their job. Ship 'em out. Maybe not all of them, but a good number of them. Go to bear bones. Address rebuilding in the offseason. Get rid of Valley and maybe some of the assistants. Take one of the group of McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, Strome, Werenski, Marner, or J. Roy in the draft and try to forge a new mindset next year.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Well, I suspect the hockey minds like Nil will think more about rebuilding on the fly. Seeing how 3 of 6 rookie D are doing probably doesn't get them dancing over shipping out too many vets.

They probably think the better plan is to let Goli, Demers and Daley stay until contracts expire, and work the young D in slowly, more slowly than has been required this year.

Same is true even of the forwards. As enticing as our prospects are, its hard to imagine Cole, Horcoff, Eaves, Peverly and Fids being replaced en masse with Ritchie, Dickenson, Faksa and Shore (or whoever). OMG we would be terrible next year and the kids would probably suffer. Whoever of those vet forwards leave would probably have to be replaced by a similar UFA. Probably best to bring back Fids (signed anyway) and maybe Horcoff at half the salary, while trading Cole for a second. Peverly, I think, is done anyway, which is sad. I think Eaves will stay.

Of course, the trades or lack of thereof would be influenced by who doesn't give a damn. I can sure see the argument that Goli and Daley have presided over 5 years of non playoff, and one of playoffs (6 if you count this year) and you could say the insanity thing, as in why would next year be different? However, we would need some replacement who needed some training, and we could conceivably even take a step back again, hard as that is to believe. I mean, is picking up more Demers really going to make us better than what we have?

That isn't building, that is just a lateral move.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Hall would be a nice addition, but I would rather send the bundle of assets to find help on D.

Pretty much. We have enough talented forwards to build around (namely Seguin), now we need to start establishing quality depth instead of trading it away for more first line talent forwards. If you want skilled wingers, it doesn't take long (or a high pick) to draft and develop them.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
If one of the EDM guys is coming it would be Eberle for a smaller cost than Hall I think. I don't think they're coming here though.

ScubaSteve*

If Nill can possibly pull another Jedi Mind Trick and acquire another elite player while giving up basically nothing of value like he did with the Seguin and Spezza trades, why not at least kick the tires on Hall?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The only reasons you don't try Hall is if you think the same bundle of assets could get you some better help on D or if you worry about having another big chunk of cap space dedicated to a forward for several seasons.

valente317

Jun 4, 2014
Some of you are being absolutely absurd. If you have the opportunity to acquire a player with the elite talent of a Taylor Hall, who just a few months ago was considered the second best LW in the game, and not give up the best player in the deal, you make that trade without a second thought.

Before the start of this season, Hall was 6th in points over the last two seasons on an Edmonton team absolutely devoid of talent. It's more plausible than not that he would score at Seguin levels playing alongside some combination of Benn, Spezza, and Seguin.

It sounds like Hall wants to be "the guy" in Edmonton, because he has always been "the guy" there and feels that is his franchise. Edmonton is looking eagerly toward drafting McDavid and making him "the guy," which gives them an incentive to move Hall.

Hall doesn't make players around him better. McDavid will. Hall shouldn't be the lone superstar on the team, but he will never be able to let go of that expectation in Edmonton, even with McDavid there.

Edmonton has a plethora of other needs, including a blue chip goalie prospect, young defenders, and young wingers. They have one significantly valuable trade chip in Hall, and are in the position to possibly utilize it. It isn't crazy to think that you could land Hall in a deal centered around a couple of Campbell/Oleksiak/Eakin plus lesser pieces.

You ABSOLUTELY consider moving your 1st round pick this year if you think it will be in the 10-20 range. This draft is being massively overhyped because of the small number of extrmely elite prospects who are making plenty of other average players look pretty good.

Consider this list -- Danny Roussin (2nd), Danny Stewart (4th), MA Pouliot (1st), Mark Tobin (2nd), Michal Sersen+Eric Neilson (5th). I bet you've never heard of any of those players, because none of them ever made it to the NHL, but they have one thing in common - they played on a line with Sidney Crosby.

Outside of the 5-10 picks this year, this year might be even more of a crap shoot than normal. If you acquire Hall without giving up significant value from your NHL roster, this team's pick is not going to be in the top 10, no matter how poor the defense is.

ScubaSteve*

If Voynov doesn't end up getting deported or getting a multi-year jail sentence, we could probably get him for a bargain basement price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad