Speculation: 2014-15 Stars Trade Talk: v2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalGodAOD*

Actually a lot of the Rangers fans are on board with trading Staal. He's regressed and doesn't' seem to fit into AV's system. Not really teh same player he was before his injuries, and that's a scary thing to lock up for 6x6 or w/e it'll be.

Rangers fans have been saying things like Dillon+Eakin though, so the value is clearly different.

McDonaugh(probably never gonna happen), Staal+, or Girardi+(right shot).

UFA Spezza for 6 years of Girardi or McD? Come on man! ;)

UFA Spezza for UFA Staal could be an interesting proposal though.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Actually a lot of the Rangers fans are on board with trading Staal. He's regressed and doesn't' seem to fit into AV's system. Not really teh same player he was before his injuries, and that's a scary thing to lock up for 6x6 or w/e it'll be.

Rangers fans have been saying things like Dillon+Eakin though, so the value is clearly different.

Do you think we'd make good trade partners with the Rags?

I didn't realize Marc Staal had an injury. Is he someone that could still help the Stars in your opinion?
He's gotta still be an upgrade over Dillon right?

MetalGodAOD*

He's absolutely an upgrade over Dillon. He's a prototypical shut down D-man, the problem is his skating has waned and his puck skills are pretty non-existant.

I think Dallas would be a good fit to sign him as a UFA yea. He's not perfect but he's an upgrade, and Dallas has the cap room to dedicate to him. It'd be a risk though.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
He's absolutely an upgrade over Dillon. He's a prototypical shut down D-man, the problem is his skating has waned and his puck skills are pretty non-existant.

I think Dallas would be a good fit to sign him as a UFA yea. He's not perfect but he's an upgrade, and Dallas has the cap room to dedicate to him. It'd be a risk though.

Thanks for the scouting report on him. The Rangers are my #2 team (grew up watching them before the Stars), but rarely watch them these days though.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Any chance Toronto is still trying to trade Jake Gardiner. I don't fall TOR close enough to know when he is and isn't in the dog house. Just wonder if you could build something around Dillon for him.

Same question for Tanev in Vancouver. Not that he's in the doghouse, but Willie has added players from his past. I'd imagine Dillion is a guy he'd push his GM for if he was available. Would give Dallas another right shot.

I hope they are patient with him, but I also wonder if he's headed for odd man out. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle scratches moving forward. Logic would tell you at worst ... Jokipakka and Oleksiak rotate. There'd be no reason for either to serve as an extended scratch.

If it was 100% based on performance though ... I think there's a reasonable argument the rotating scratch should be Dillon and Benn, but as much "faith" as they've shown in Oleksiak by keeping him over Jokipakka all year long ... they've shown no faith in Oleksiak to give him minutes ... including benching him moments before the 4 goal against onslaught in Chicago.

Really hard to predict how they play this.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Any chance Toronto is still trying to trade Jake Gardiner. I don't fall TOR close enough to know when he is and isn't in the dog house. Just wonder if you could build something around Dillon for him.

Same question for Tanev in Vancouver. Not that he's in the doghouse, but Willie has added players from his past. I'd imagine Dillion is a guy he'd push his GM for if he was available. Would give Dallas another right shot.

I hope they are patient with him, but I also wonder if he's headed for odd man out. It's going to be interesting to see how they handle scratches moving forward. Logic would tell you at worst ... Jokipakka and Oleksiak rotate. There'd be no reason for either to serve as an extended scratch.

If it was 100% based on performance though ... I think there's a reasonable argument the rotating scratch should be Dillon and Benn, but as much "faith" as they've shown in Oleksiak by keeping him over Jokipakka all year long ... they've shown no faith in Oleksiak to give him minutes ... including benching him moments before the 4 goal against onslaught in Chicago.

Really hard to predict how they play this.

Best indicator of future behavior is based on past performance. I think they still give the "tenured" Dillon and Benn immunity from the press box. Oleksiak and Jokipakka rotate.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Best indicator of future behavior is based on past performance. I think they still give the "tenured" Dillon and Benn immunity from the press box. Oleksiak and Jokipakka rotate.

That's also the definition of insanity to go with the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I agree with you it's likely, but at some point tenure and tradition mean squat. Would hope the Chicago game serves as the breaking point for Ruff.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Would hope the Chicago game serves as the breaking point for Ruff.

You'd hope...we'll see tonight right? For punishment to be effective at deterrence it must be immediate and public. Scratch one of the vets tonight.

One can only hope, but I'm not holding my breath.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
That's also the definition of insanity to go with the same thing over and over and expect different results.

I agree with you it's likely, but at some point tenure and tradition mean squat. Would hope the Chicago game serves as the breaking point for Ruff.

According to Worley, "insanity" it is.

"For defense, the Stars are apparently trying to get Trevor Daley back on track by putting him on the top pairing with Alex Goligoski once more, while John Klingberg will be paired with Brenden Dillon.

Goligoski - Daley
Dillon - Klingberg
Benn - Oleksiak"

No Jokipakka tonight. :(

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Those were the pairs this morning before Jokipakka was in the building. At least they didn't mention he was on the ice. Therefore we'll probably have to wait for the pre-game skate to get an accurate idea about D pairs.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Those were the pairs this morning before Jokipakka was in the building. At least they didn't mention he was on the ice. Therefore we'll probably have to wait for the pre-game skate to get an accurate idea about D pairs.

Hope you're right because those pairs look RUFF.

Goligoski - Daley
Dillon - Klingberg
Benn - Oleksiak

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
These pairs could work. Assume TD and AG get it back together when together....

Dillon hasn't played really terrible other than the turnovers. Just tell him he can't touch the puck, or if he gets it, pass it right back, and let Klinger carry it up ice. Just might work to let Dillon be the D guy on the pair.

Or, maybe I am just hoping.

Occurred to me that Jordie already has a built in scapegoat name - Jordie "Has" Benn.

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
There has to be a few deals out there. Youll overpay but holy ****. Does it even matter at this point? Just bring in somebody who you know will do something.

Cost doesnt even matter at this point.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
There has to be a few deals out there. Youll overpay but holy ****. Does it even matter at this point? Just bring in somebody who you know will do something.

Cost doesnt even matter at this point.

Better to just write the season off than panic buy. Nobody available is going to fix this.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Better to just write the season off than panic buy. Nobody available is going to fix this.

With it appearing Spezza has committed to the long term vision of the team ... sign me up.

Really thought he'd expect them to win now before committing, but Nill must have painted a nice picture. If that deal is announced and done ... I still want to see them do everything possible to get in the playoffs, but the panic I felt for them to get in pretty much goes away.

Still ... for sure would rather they get in than not make it. The lines actually played fairly well tonight. The Top 2 lines looked dangerous for the first time in the same game. That was a positive.

Thought Dillon and Klingberg looked fine together.

Time to see if Rynnas can be the answer to not over working Kari leading to more nights like tonight.

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan

UFA Spezza for UFA Staal could be an interesting proposal though.

Does the ranger want Spezza though??? May work out though...

But not for only Staal lol. It's harder to land on a guy like Spezza than a typical shut down D-men (who is struggling).

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I'm down with not getting and retreads just to tread water and be equal, but older.

Feels better to let the kids on D develop together. Even if they suck a bit now, in a few years, when we have added a key UFA or trade Dman, they will be stellar.

Gotta wonder how Jamie O and a few others would look now if JN had committed to bringing in one young D per year? Yeah, I know, he brought in UFA's in Dillon and Benn, and maybe didn't want to rush them all in at once, but it seems like one more could have come in each year and they might be further along.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Without going any deeper in to it (money, number of forwards we have, etc) is anyone here interested in Mike Richards at all as a player?

5 years ago? Hell yeah.

The current edition of Mike Richards? Naw. It's also rather ****ed that he's almost 30 years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad