2014-15 Season Trade Rumours/Proposals thread vol. I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't get all the opposition to the Michalek signing. Ottawa had yet to sign Legwand and was way below the cap.

Without Michalek, Ottawa had Hoffman and Greening behind MacArthur. Michalek's numbers last year along with his special teams play makes him worth 4 million.

He also doesn't have a full no trade clause, so if Puempel and Hoffman become solid 2/3 wingers over the next few years, Michalek could be traded.

Obviously, Ryan is now playing on his off wing. If anything, that seems to be a consequence of Ottawa's lack of LW depth compared to RW depth as well as Stone's chemistry with Turris and MacArthur.

He isn't very good. That's why people opposed the deal. I appreciate Murray's loyalty, and agree that a young team needs veteran presence, but Michalek should have been allowed to walk this summer.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
In hindsight i would have loved rattie, Fabbri and Jaskin. Paul is looking pretty damn good which makes me feel better about the deal though

Well id rather have chiasson paul and guptill over Berglund rattie and a 1st that blues fans were throwing around. Actually maybe just the first I would sub in for guptill.
But I mean chiasson > Berglund. And I think paul > rattie.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
He isn't very good. That's why people opposed the deal. I appreciate Murray's loyalty, and agree that a young team needs veteran presence, but Michalek should have been allowed to walk this summer.

I would have spent the 4M and + on a top 4 D. Hell, right now I'd rather have Greening in there over Michalek.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I would have spent the 4M and + on a top 4 D. Hell, right now I'd rather have Greening in there over Michalek.

Which defender would you have spent the money on?

The only one worth anything was Ehrhoff and there is no guarantee he would have signed here. He went to a team that is a contender.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Well id rather have chiasson paul and guptill over Berglund rattie and a 1st that blues fans were throwing around. Actually maybe just the first I would sub in for guptill.
But I mean chiasson > Berglund. And I think paul > rattie.

Rattie did score 30 as a rookie in the AHL thats very hard to do. I dont think Paul has that potential

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It's not really 4M+4M.

Michalek and Greening Make a combined 6 million this year. Take out 1.5 million if you replace them with the cheapest possible players, and you still only have 4.5M to spend on your magical mystery player that the 5 least popular (as judged by this HFBoards subsection) Ottawa Senators are preventing from joining the team.

All because getting a number 1 defender through free agency at a bargain price is as easy as bundling together a bunch of contracts to clear salary space for them.

Wiercioch2Karlsson

Sep 13, 2010
Damn, you got me. Greening sucks.

Stralman and Niskanen come to mind. Ehrhoff would have been perfect but I think he was set on PIT.

Who is to say BM didn't make them offers? I think we should consider ourselves lucky that we've been able to land some decent free agents over the past bunch of years (Gonchar, McArthur, Legwand). Think of the basement dwelling teams with all the good intentions and enough money that can't make anything happen.

I'm sure BM is/was actively looking for ways to bring in a veteran top 4 defenceman. They don't grow on trees. Decent crop coming up this year, though. Hopefully we get a piece of that action.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
It's not really 4M+4M.

Michalek and Greening Make a combined 6 million this year. Take out 1.5 million if you replace them with the cheapest possible players, and you still only have 4.5M to spend on your magical mystery player that the 5 least popular (as judged by this HFBoards subsection) Ottawa Senators are preventing from joining the team.

All because getting a number 1 defender through free agency at a bargain price is as easy as bundling together a bunch of contracts to clear salary space for them.

I never insinuated using Michalek's salary AND Greening. Just Michalek. Use the 4M and another 1M to 2M to overpay for a top 4 D. Niskanen is making 5.75M. Throw 6M at him, but a shorter term. We're not going to be a cap team. The extra 2M can't kill Melnyk. Can it?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I never insinuated using Michalek's salary AND Greening. Just Michalek. Use the 4M and another 1M to 2M to overpay for a top 4 D. Niskanen is making 5.75M. Throw 6M at him, but a shorter term. We're not going to be a cap team. The extra 2M can't kill Melnyk. Can it?

(Misread your initial post about Greening)

Why would Niskanen take a shorter term deal with Ottawa? Niskanen got a max term deal. Your entire posts reads that you'd ignores real life circumstance and context regarding players signing with teams.

The Michalek extension is so mind blowingly simple. Ottawa was well below the cap, had no LW depth (Greening, an unproven Hoffman, and a 1 year AHLer in Puempel would be the 2/3/4 in no particular order without accounting for injuries).

The 4M given to Michalek did not stop Ottawa from getting a defender. Either being uninterested in a defender on the market, or being unable to lure on to Ottawa is likely what stopped Ottawa from getting a defender.

The two aren't linked. The insinuation that Michalek's extension was bad because it took budget away from a magical mystery defender who otherwise could have been signed is foolish.

Michalek's extension was made because he is a decent player, he took a discount, and going into the season Ottawa had a bad prospective LW situation.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
(Misread your initial post about Greening)

Why would Niskanen take a shorter term deal with Ottawa? Niskanen got a max term deal. Your entire posts reads that you'd ignores real life circumstance and context regarding players signing with teams.

The Michalek extension is so mind blowingly simple. Ottawa was well below the cap, had no LW depth (Greening, an unproven Hoffman, and a 1 year AHLer in Puempel would be the 2/3/4 in no particular order without accounting for injuries).

The 4M given to Michalek did not stop Ottawa from getting a defender. Either being uninterested in a defender on the market, or being unable to lure on to Ottawa is likely what stopped Ottawa from getting a defender.

The two aren't linked. The insinuation that Michalek's extension was bad because it took budget away from a magical mystery defender who otherwise could have been signed is foolish.

Michalek's extension was made because he is a decent player, he took a discount, and going into the season Ottawa had a bad prospective LW situation.

Niskanen was just one example. There are other top 4 D that I would have overpaid just to get them to Ottawa. No mystery defenders there. I already mentioned Stralman. No need use that tired argument.

I fully understand the Michalek deal as it was a two prong reason. You need to read better again. That was just my suggestion what I would have tried to do with the Michalek moneyz. Michalek sucks. He sucked last year, he sucked the year before that and he sucks this year. That's my biggest problem with the Michalek signing. There are 100 other ways we could have spent the money to either improve our D, get a better player AND bring us to the floor.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Zibanejad + Weircioch for Gormley and a 2nd in 2015

Letting Zibanejad go blows but we have good depth at centre and I think Weircioch sucks.

We get a player who has definite top 4 potential, is a leftie and young, get our third 2nd in an awesome draft and deal with the logjam on D

Thoughts?

And stay polite, it's just for fun

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Letting Zibanejad go blows but we have good depth at centre and I think Weircioch sucks.

We get a player who has definite top 4 potential, is a leftie and young, get our third 2nd in an awesome draft and deal with the logjam on D

Thoughts?

I think some people would jump off a bridge before they see Zibby traded. I havent watched Gormley enough but im pretty sure the Cyotes have a log jam on d and would have no need for Wier. If were trading Zibby i think i might want someone with a bit more NHL experience

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
Do not think that we'd part with Zib so early. The kid was always raw to begin with and they're going to give him more time. I don't share the opinion that he's close to capped out as a prospect (not saying you do either) and would thus not move him. Certainly not now. Maybe things change by the deadline or in the off-season.

I would really like Gormley though. He wouldn't have to be with the big club initially. If we can clear Wier or Cowen simultaneously it might be nice. As Vesa said, they've got their own logjam in Arizona at LD so those two probably won't be going back in any Gormley deal. Would they take futures? Our two seconds? Maybe some unsigned prospects to boot?

edit: having a chuckle picturing Wier in Tippett's system. He'd be dead and buried in no time I think.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They are more broke than we were last year

I don't even think they could afford the deal I proposed but since it seemed like a good deal for the Arizona fans I figured I'd get this board's opinion on the matter

The only reason Gormley isn't in the NHL is because he's the only LHD who is on a two-way contract. They all agree he was very good in the preseason and should be in the NHL

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
The only reason Gormley isn't in the NHL is because he's the only LHD who is on a two-way contract. They all agree he was very good in the preseason and should be in the NHL

I believe them. But the same rule would apply to him here if we were to acquire him tomorrow.

If we could do a straight one for one swap of Cowen for Gormley, I'd like that.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC

Thoughts?

As politely as anybody could say is no. Gormley is good and all and the 2nd is nice but i don't think we would do that for Zibby alone. Personally think only way we trade Zibby is in a package for a top 3 Dman that would compliment Karlsson like Alzner or Vlasic or another top 6 winger to make our team have more diverse scoring than we already have

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
In hindsight i would have loved rattie, Fabbri and Jaskin. Paul is looking pretty damn good which makes me feel better about the deal though

Same, but seeing St. Louis wouldn't trade their 1st, as said by Murray, we never would have gotten that.

I am happier with Chaisson than Paul, who I am also happy with.

Guptill, whatever happens happens, and the 2nd will net us a good player, whether it be from the draft or trade.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I was surprised but three Coyotes fans seemed rather pleased by the offer

You were surprised?

Zib is the younger, better player at the moment, and has the higher potential. It makes 0 sense to do this trade, it is a big step backwards.

Gormley isn't ready for top 4 duties, and has been very bad defensively in every game I have watched over the last 3 years.

He WILL be a top 4 D, he isn't right now.

Also, it wouldn't deal with the logjam on D, trading Weir for Gormley leaves the same number of D on the roster, unless you wanted Gormley in the AHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad