2014-15 Saskatchewan Huskies

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
Here's a look at a list of U of S newcomers for 2014:

G Jordan Cooke (Kelowna Rockets, WHL)
D Jordan Fransoo (Victoria Royals,WHL)
D Jesse Forsberg (Moose Jaw Warriors, WHL)
D Brett Plouffe (Dalhousie University CIS, Tri-City Americans WHL)
D Tyler Borstmayer (Weyburn Red Wings, SJHL/ Regina Pats WHL)
D David Stumborg (Humboldt Broncos, SJHL)
D Brandon Kuse (Notre Dame Hounds SJHL).
F Rhyse Dieno (Red Deer Rebels WHL)
F Michael Sofillas (Lethbridge Hurricanes, WHL/Dauphin Kings, MJHL),
F Parker Thomas (100-point season with Selkirk Steelers, MJHL)
F Tayler Thompson (RBC champion Yorkton Terriers, SJHL).
F Cam Blair (Battlefords North Stars/Flin Flon Bombers, SJHL)
F Jeremy Margeson (Canmore Eagles, AJHL)
F Calder Neufeld (Estevan Bruins, SJHL)

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
I haven't followed them that closely this season. But it looks like they took a hit in the recruiting department. Of course, a player like a Derek Hulak doesn't come along very often. I think he is the only Huskie in recent years that signed with a pro team immediately after the Dogs were done.

I do hope the Dogs manage to sneak into the 3rd spot and make the playoffs and play the 2 vs. 3 matchup instead of the 1 vs. 4. However, with MRU in the mix this year, the Dogs will be lucky to get in at all.

I do think that Mount Royal's entry has hurt the Huskies recruiting. Much like the football team, the Huskies are still seen as a top flight program in Canada West, but given the option to play anywhere but Rutherford is probably causing some Southern Alberta born players to look to the MRU Cougars instead of coming to Saskatoon.

It will be interesting to see what happens down the stretch for the Huskies though. I hope Dave Adolph is burning the phone lines trying to find a couple European exchange students from say the VHL to come over and play for next season. It was what helped the Huskies Men's soccer team win Canada West.

With the Blades lease up for renewal, I certainly hope that the Priestner family (Blades ownership), sees the benefits in letting the Huskies play at SaskTel Centre. Right now, under the terms of the current lease, the Huskies cannot be a permanent tenant there. I believe old Jack Brodsky did not want CIS hockey to steal away any Blades fans, so he had an exclusivity clause in the lease written in to forbid anyone but the NHL from calling the arena home. With the few games, the Huskies were able to play at SaskTel Centre (then known as Credit Union Centre) last season, it would appear the Priestners are much more accommodating toward the Huskies.

City Council in Saskatoon has been talking about the need for rinks in the City. I haven't heard any details, but I certainly hope that they decide to partner with the U of S to build a brand new 5,000 seat arena next to Griffiths Stadium. An arena that size would give Saskatoon a secondary venue when hosting international tournaments in any sport, plus a concert venue that would attract acts that won't fill SaskTel Centre but are too big to play Prairieland Park (the room is essentially an empty warehouse that is used during the Saskatoon Exhibition for exhibits and then used for things like high school grads and concerts the other 51 weeks per year, but only holds about 2,000 people for a concert). Seems like a no brainer and outside of Huskies games and practices, minor hockey could use the rink the rest of the time. Would be perfect, they could even house a SJHL franchise there if they wanted.

But for the time being, the Dogs are still playing at Rutherford. Too bad the games aren't broadcast on the radio, the rust time outs would be perfect for commercial breaks. But if I can make it work, I do have to go see a game at the old girl at least one more time. But living in Lloydminster, it makes it a bit more difficult since I have to plan a trip specifically for the Dogs. I think I have two home regular season weekends left this season to try. So we will see what I can do, but I've become a Lloydminster Bobcats AJHL junkie lately, so I go to more of their games.

SP Saskatuned

Aug 2, 2011
Saskatoon, SASK.
Tonight in Vancouver, Dave Adolph officially eclipsed Clare Drake's all-time CIS record for most regular-season conference wins. The Hockey Dogs battled back from a 3-0 deficit with four unanswered goals, three of them in the third period, on their way to a 4-3 win in double OT.
This is a highlight this season for an inexperienced team which has had its struggles, especially up front where the majority of the team's top scorers from last season have graduated or moved on.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Reposted from Bison thread ...

I posted this in the Bison thread, then I dug up the 2014-15 Sask thread.

The Mutts have tweeted out that Cody Smuk has passed away. He was announced as ill last year.

CIcY5NnUAAAuFWK.jpg

https://twitter.com/HuskieAthletics/status/614175501159137280

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad