2014-15 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread - Part VI - Oh hey, look at that... a 2C

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
could be - the point being made is that a high-skill player at a controlled cap hit for a lot of years is a longterm solution... not trading that player for help right now.

Let's not pretend it's a sure thing. He is a prospect after all. Nevertheless, those days are over. I would have gladly moved TT for Kesler but we didn't do it and Anaheim scooped him up. There isn't anyone else out there worth trading TT for. He stays.

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
If you honestly believe that, you're dreaming. Oh, we won't be discounted entirely. We will be mentioned as a contender, but hardly the favourites. Add a Stastny, our odds go up, but can we afford it?

I'm just going on what the gamblers say, and the fact that this team was this close to repeating last year. And that the moves they made, however minor, did serve to improve the team if only by replacing the old and skill-less with the young and promising. Meanwhile, for all the splashes the other teams made, they still need to prove their moves on the ice.

But if you really do believe in the hopelessness of this team why aren't we taking it to its logical conclusion? Why do we still have Toews, Kane (and his wasted carrier), Keith, and Hammer? Build around Saad and TT to hopefully catch up with the Kings and Ducks by 2017.

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Cry me a river. TT has yet to prove a damn thing in the NHL.

the other team holding that player's contract would have no reason to trade that player for TT, who is an unproven commodity.

Yes?

I really don't understand why everything is so black and white to you - not making a move for a center (in a time frame of a week, no less) when free agency starts tomorrow, all the while when the franchise's biggest players' deals are being negotiated, makes Bowman a terrible GM dead set on detroying a dynasty, most options on the market are "garbage", Blackhawks are basically doomed when the season doesn't even start in several months...

SLarmer28*

Assuming the team remains status quo once again this summer, it is becoming painfully obvious that Stan's ultra-conservative style is quietly catching up to us. Hawks are in reality quickly becoming a middle-of-the road team. I reckon Kings, Avs, Blues, Ducks are all seeded ahead of us going into this season, with Wild and Sharks right on our heels. That's what happens when (for years) you neglect (arguably) the two most important positions in hockey: center and in goal.

Sorry to burst anyone's bubble but we all witnesed how overmatched our bottom 6 was in the PO's, and to compound the issues we have, there is little cap space available to alleviate anything. It sounds also like T/K are going to milk as much money as they can when renewing their contracts, making our cap situation worse still. It's difficult to be optimistic for another SC run anytime soon.
If the Chicago Blackhawks do not resolve the second line center position in the next 24 hours (no band-aids either), the Chicago Blackhawks won't make the playoffs next season.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
But if you really do believe in the hopelessness of this team why aren't we taking it to its logical conclusion? Why do we still have Toews, Kane (and his wasted carrier), Keith, and Hammer? Build around Saad and TT to hopefully catch up with the Kings and Ducks by 2017.

It's not hopelessness of the team. The team is a 2C away from being the best team in the NHL. That's why people are a little down; they just don't see it coming.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If the Chicago Blackhawks do not resolve the second line center position in the next 24 hours (no band-aids either), the Chicago Blackhawks won't make the playoffs next season.

That's a bold statement. The division certainly is a lot stronger than it was last season, but I still like us as a No. 3/4 seed. Nashville gets Spezza for futures, Stastny goes to St. Louis, Minnesota makes some moves, alright, it'll be a fight for 82 games to get a spot. Right now though, we still look good for the playoffs. Obviously that can all change in a couple days though.

SLarmer28*

Yes?

I really don't understand why everything is so black and white to you - not making a move for a center (in a time frame of a week, no less) when free agency starts tomorrow, all the while when the franchise's biggest players' deals are being negotiated, makes Bowman a terrible GM dead set on detroying a dynasty, most options on the market are "garbage", Blackhawks are basically doomed when the season doesn't even start in several months...
Get this straight. There is no dynasty. The Chicago Blackhawks are fast becoming the 1985 Chicago Bears, the dynasty that never was.

If the second line center position is not resolved in the next 24 hours, there will be no playoffs next year. Sharp goes, Versteeg goes, Rozsival goes, Rundblad goes, Leblanc goes, Stastny signed, problem resolved.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004

I would modify that to- If the Hawks do not resolve the second line center position by the trading deadline they won't win the Stanley Cup next season. Who knows? Resolving that may even be someone like TT but I don't think so.

nickynick001

Jun 3, 2014

So St. Louis, Colorado, Minnesota and Dallas all have better rosters then the the Hawks now? Get a grip.

Please explain how this can happen.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
If Grabovski could not last one season under Coach Randy Carlyle, Grabovski would not last one day with Coach Q due to his defensive deficiencies.

Q wouldn't put Grabovski in a shutdown role he is not suited for or tell him he needs to pick up his offensive game when playing on 4th line

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
if the chicago blackhawks do not resolve the second line center position in the next 24 hours (no band-aids either), the chicago blackhawks won't make the playoffs next season.

lolol you have forever lost any credibility in my eyes

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
It's not hopelessness of the team. The team is a 2C away from being the best team in the NHL. That's why people are a little down; they just don't see it coming.

So if they don't do anything they settle for what? One of the best teams in the NHL? With experience, consistency, and a score to settle in their favor? Is that really so horrible? Slam dunk SC teams lose in the second round all the time. "One of" teams win the Cup all the time. The hawks aren't going to go from WCF game 7 OT to out of the playoffs so hope for the best. They team has never given you a reason for pessimism.

nickynick001

Jun 3, 2014
Get this straight. There is no dynasty. The Chicago Blackhawks are fast becoming the 1985 Chicago Bears, the dynasty that never was.

If the second line center position is not resolved in the next 24 hours, there will be no playoffs next year. Sharp goes, Versteeg goes, Rozsival goes, Rundblad goes, Leblanc goes, Stastny signed, problem resolved.

But you create problems for the future. 88 and 19 need to be extended. Plus Saad.

Not to mention someone has to want to trade for Versteeg and Rozsival.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
It would be a ballsy move to offer sheet Johanssen. I wish Stan would do it. Probably same price as these free agents and better option than all of them. A legit young center with a future, not a rental. Better option than all others.

Losing next year's 1st, 2nd and 3rd would not hurt much, really. Looks like our drafting strategy is USHL to try to get players 5-6 years away.

It is a risky move, and way out of character for Bowman. Offer sheets rarely work, and it would piss off all his other GM buddies. They are all jealous and dislike the Hawks anyways, what with trying to fleece TT and all on draft day.

If it did work, the Hawks would have a great 1-2 center punch for years to come instead of a rental and then TT could ease his way in and we roll 3 formidable lines out there.

He is master of the cap? Wish he had the cajones to pull this off. I know, but one can dream. on the eve of free agency, can't one?

I think that the Jackets would thank the Hawks for doing their negotiations, and immediately match any reasonable offer (especially one that only returns a 1st, 2nd & 3rd). And if the offer was unreasonable, they'd likely still match the offer for Johansen, and then offersheet Saad next summer in response.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012

107pts, no significant losses=golf 2nd week in April following season.
Is that right?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
We hope!

He has proven nothing in NA , Let alone as a center in NA

I agree with this. Even if he is the long term answer, he may be on Granlund's (Wild) trajectory. It might be 17' before he's a meaningful contributor. I don't like assuming anything from the prospects, including that they'll be better than underperforming veterans.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site

Drama-king much?

EDIT: Especially because the Hawks would have the ability to make a TD deal where they're only on the hook for 1/4 of the cap hit.

Last edited:

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
107pts, no significant losses=golf 2nd week in April following season.
Is that right?

The Hawks had 3 more points last year than they did in 09 when they went to the WCF. They had 5 less than they did when they won their first Stanley Cup. The end is nigh

member 151739

Anaheim has definitely bolstered their center depth. They had the flexibility to do so. Hawks are cap-strapped, which Bowman alleviated... a little bit by trading Bollig. I want to see more moves and more results but it's not make or break for this team. Still a contender regardless. But seriously, we need a center.

SLarmer28*

I could care less what the Las Vegas odds are, since the clowns who set the odds are too blind to see the crap on the Chicago Blackhawks payroll:

Versteeg
Rozsival
Rundblad
Leblanc

as well as, at best, an AHL goaltender masquerading as the Chicago Blackhawks backup goaltender next season.

Furthermore, the Chicago Blackhawks just may have downgraded from Bollig to Mashinter.

Quite simply, one helluva pathetic off-season for the Chicago Blackhawks organization to date.

No second line center whatsoever to be found on the Chicago Blackhawks roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad