Speculation: 2014-15 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread (Cap , Roster , etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Hey now ,, We replace Regin with a just as mediocre Condra and carry an extra forward that Q hates in Morin not to mention put our prized prospect in a NHL checking role (A job he is ill suited for)

And go into season with shaky 3rd pairing again and an even worse #7

Surely that means this team will magically be better

For the millionth time, our third line isn't a checking line.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($0.764m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.894m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Andrew Shaw ($2.000m) / Ben Smith ($1.250m)
Brandon Bollig ($1.250m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Kris Versteeg ($2.200m)
Joakim Nordstrom ($0.617m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.375m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.500m)
David Rundblad ($0.785m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,873,462; BONUSES: $780,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,126,538

Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($0.764m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.894m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Andrew Shaw ($2.000m) / Ben Smith ($1.250m)
Brandon Bollig ($1.250m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Jeremy Morin ($0.800m)
Joakim Nordstrom ($0.617m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Brent Seabrook ($5.800m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)
Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m) / Johnny Oduya ($3.375m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.500m)
David Rundblad ($0.785m) /
GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($1.000m)
BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,473,462; BONUSES: $780,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,526,538

SLarmer28*

For the millionth time, our third line isn't a checking line.
Yup!

Erik Condra is a competent fourth line checking right winger who excels on the penalty kill. In essence, Erik Condra would replace Michael Frolik from 2013 and Kris Versteeg from 2014 at a fraction of the salary cap space, considering the salary cap constraints the Chicago Blackhawks will be under for the 2014-15 NHL Season. Furthermore, I have no faith whatsoever in Country Club Q's ability or conviction in developing young penalty killing forwards. Thus, replace a washed up 37 year old recently demoted fourth line center who can't skate with a 28 year old fourth line right winger who can skate on the Chicago Blackhawks penalty killing unit. Finally, Kris Versteeg was never utilized on the Chicago Blackhawks penalty killing unit during the 2013-14 NHL Season, so his value to the Chicago Blackhawks decreases even further.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The 2 guys who I want gone most at this point is Versteeg and Leddy

Both were pathetic and should never play another game with Hawks

I don't care about Leddy's skating or offensive upside ,, Same soft inept disaster 3 years in a row in playoffs and I am sick of seeing it

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
They were lucky last year too. Pretty lucky in 2010 too

The team is worse by a long shot to 2010 and decently less than last year. It's clear as day. And in case you haven't noticed, bombs are going off around us, other teams in the West are getting better in a big way. All you say is oh well and sit idly by while it happens. Great approach.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
The team is worse by a long shot to 2010 and decently less than last year. It's clear as day. And in case you haven't noticed, bombs are going off around us, other teams in the West are getting better in a big way. All you say is oh well and sit idly by while it happens. Great approach.

Now that is extreme viewpoint

Plenty of West teams have issues of there own ,, Hawks will say ahead of them if they address holes because the core of this team is still better then any other West core (Including LA ,, Though Doughty is probably now the best defender in NHL)

Nothingman*

Lots of Leddy lovers here. You know....he is still young, etc. the problem is that his 'development' has been either baby steps or nonexistent. I just don't see him getting drastically better any time soon. So his trade value is high now.....cash in. Have someone ready for when Oduya walks the year following.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
First off, I think Andrew Shaw is the man. Heart and soul guy on the team. I think his importance to the Hawks outweighs his contract.

That being said, I don't think he's a full time 2nd line center. The Saad-Shaw-Kane line played great. At the same time, Saad and Kane were in complete beast mode. Sure, Shaw contributed, but Saad had another gear no one on the ice had, and Pat Kane was in magician mode.

I think Shaw is a great change-up to throw out there to give the opponent a different look. But I don't think he is an 82 game center you'd ideally have with Kane. I guess there is no ideal lineup in the salary cap world though...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Now that is extreme viewpoint

Plenty of West teams have issues of there own ,, Hawks will say ahead of them if they address holes because the core of this team is still better then any other West core (Including LA ,, Though Doughty is probably now the best defender in NHL)

No ****ing kidding. It's like walking around in the best suit ever with a pair of Velcro gym shoes on. Just go buy the ****ing shoes; you're making a fool out of yourself.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
If you're moving Kesler in, then you have to move one of the core out. You think Kane is going to force out a player like Sharp or Seabrook?

I think Kaner would hate to see either of these guys go...especially Sharp.

But I think the party-boy image of Kane we have in our head often blinds us to how competitive and ambitious he is...especially towards his personal goals.

This is pure conjecture, but I truly believe:
-Kane would like to lead the league in scoring
-Kane would like to be the clear #1 wing on the team
-Kane would like to be one of the captains
-Kane cares about post-season individual awards

Kane is a team first guy, but he's also SHOWTIME. The kid knows how talented he is, he's confident, he loves the spotlight, and believes he can be the man.

Kane was the #1 pick in the draft, the team is built around Toews. I think Kane is fine with that; I also think he wants a competent 2C.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Leddy is now the age many defenseman are just cutting their teeth at. If he's moved for an established center with upside I'm ok with it. For a band aid? Nah.

SLarmer28*

Lots of Leddy lovers here. You know....he is still young, etc. the problem is that his 'development' has been either baby steps or nonexistent. I just don't see him getting drastically better any time soon. So his trade value is high now.....cash in. Have someone ready for when Oduya walks the year following.
You do realize that at the age of 23, Nick Leddy has played 258 NHL regular season games. In contrast at the of 23, Duncan Keith played only 81 NHL regular season games. Chicago fans fail to remember how poor Duncan Keith was during the 2005-06 NHL Season at the same age.

Until a prospect (for instance Klas Dahlbeck) proves to be a better than Nick Leddy, the Chicago Blackhawks can retain Nick Leddy for one more season until the salary cap contraints really hit the fan for the Chicago Blackhawks during the 2015-16 NHL Season (Toews, Kane, Saad, Kruger). The grass isn't always greener with a young prospect, especially one who has yet to play a NHL game.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Leddy is now the age many defenseman are just cutting their teeth at. If he's moved for an established center with upside I'm ok with it. For a band aid? Nah.

What would you think if we got rid of Leddy to get a guy like Kesler? I still don't think it happens without giving up TT, but if they could find a deal with Leddy, a pick, and maybe another prospect or another player they like, what would you think of that? Certainly don't think that happens, just tossing it out there to see what you think.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
What would you think if we got rid of Leddy to get a guy like Kesler? I still don't think it happens without giving up TT, but if they could find a deal with Leddy, a pick, and maybe another prospect or another player they like, what would you think of that? Certainly don't think that happens, just tossing it out there to see what you think.

Leddy as the centerpiece? Easy trade for me. And I like Leddy.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

At least Kesler wouldn't be a bandaid but a desperately needed tourniquet at the 2C position, whatever the cost in terms of prospects.

SLarmer28*

I think Shaw is a great change-up to throw out there to give the opponent a different look. But I don't think he is an 82 game center you'd ideally have with Kane. I guess there is no ideal lineup in the salary cap world though...
This line of reasoning is pure crap.

Andrew Shaw is a 23 year old center who has yet to reach his ceiling.

It's all about line chemistry, someone on the Saad - Shaw - Kane line needs to do the dirty work in the corners and in front of the net.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
This line of reasoning is pure crap.

Andrew Shaw is a 23 year old center who has yet to reach his ceiling.

It's all about line chemistry, someone on the Saad - Shaw - Kane line needs to do the dirty work in the corners and in front of the net.

I really like Shaw's game. I always thought he'd be more effective on the forecheck in the corners as a wing.

I didn't see Shaw doing that much dirty work in front of Crawford in the series. Kings were camped out.

Again, I think Shaw is the man. Calling him a top 6 winger or 3C (who can also play 2C) isn't suppose to be any type of slam on the kid.

SLarmer28*

Who is going to replace Leddy? Where is all this salary cap space going to come from to allot for Kesler's $5 million salary cap hit?

Sounds like a classic:

Rob Peter to Save Paul

General Manager Ray Shero was a genius trading for Jarome Iginla, Brenden Morrow, Douglas Murray during the 2012-13 NHL Season! Oh wait, two goals scored in four games by the Pittsburgh Penguins against the Boston Bruins during the Eastern Conference Finals last year.

Last edited by a moderator:

SLarmer28*

I didn't see Shaw doing that much dirty work in front of Crawford in the series. Kings were camped out.
You realize that as far centers go on the Chicago Blackhawks roster, Toews then Kruger are responsible for the toughest defensive assignments?

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Too bad that Handzus became so inept overall during the 2013-14 NHL Season and 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Country Club Q could not see the forest thru the trees.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You realize that as far centers go on the Chicago Blackhawks roster, Toews then Kruger are responsible for the toughest defensive assignments?

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67#

Too bad that Handzus became so inept overall during the 2013-14 NHL Season and 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Country Club Q could not see the forest thru the trees.

You may as well have argued the merits of tort reform for all the relevancy your reply had to do with what you quoted.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

If you can come up with something that makes sense for both teams and works money wise I could give you a better answer. I just don't see us taking on two million in cap space without making this team even more top heavy and not gutting the defense or the prospect pool.

SLarmer28*

You may as well have argued the merits of tort reform for all the relevancy your reply had to do with what you quoted.
Nice to know you have capped the ceiling on the 23 year old Andrew Shaw. I guess there is no room for improvement whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad