Speculation: 2014-15 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread (Cap , Roster , etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
We can agree to disagree with regard to the future of Andrew Shaw.

I'm of the mindset of a new youth movement:

Teravainen to replace Handzus
Morin to replace Versteeg
Johns or Dahlbeck to replace Brookbank/Rozsival (hopefully by the trade deadline at the latest, similar to Leddy's situation in 2011)

I'd be ecstatic if that worked out...especially if Johns.

Prospects is sometimes just a numbers game. If you got 4 good ones you'd think at least 2 work out.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
We can agree to disagree with regard to the future of Andrew Shaw.

I'm of the mindset of a new youth movement:

Teravainen to replace Handzus
Morin to replace Versteeg
Johns or Dahlbeck to replace Brookbank/Rozsival (hopefully by the trade deadline at the latest, similar to Leddy's situation in 2011)

I was hoping they were going to do that this year but went with vets instead. Don't think you need to add a ton of youth but they need to start breaking in 1 or 2 new guys.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Shaw really has peaked. I'm personally surprised he managed to pot 20 goals this year. He's a spark plug with skill.. but I don't see him being a consistent 20/20 guy.. but he doesn't have to be to be effective and an impactful player for Chicago.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Are any of those players named Parise, Suter, Kesler, Richards? No. Were any hot items at the trade deadline or in free agency? No.

Coldsteel wants splashes, not results.

The Blues got Roy, Ott, and Miller, 3 guys the Hawks had to get and they were beat in the first round by the team that just couldn't win without those players. Now all of them are free agents and the Blues lost Chris Stewart in the process.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Shaw really has peaked. I'm personally surprised he managed to pot 20 goals this year. He's a spark plug with skill.. but I don't see him being a consistent 20/20 guy.. but he doesn't have to be to be effective and an impactful player for Chicago.

Yea, I was really skeptical of him when he first came up and played as well as he did. Thought it was a hard working kid who ran through walls to get his shot. Tons of those in JR and the minors. He's got a bit of skill, brings grit and energy to go with his mouth and motor. As others have said, I think long term he sticks in this league on wing and goes on to have a Matthew Barnaby like career.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
The Blues got Roy, Ott, and Miller, 3 guys the Hawks had to get and they were beat in the first round by the team that just couldn't win without those players. Now all of them are free agents and the Blues lost Chris Stewart in the process.

Man, Ott and Roy were so good against Chicago. Remember when Roy couldn't crack the lineup and Ott was tapping guys on the head when he couldn't get under their skin? So effective.

And then, the Blues beat the Hawks.. er, my bad, the Hawks won, right? It just seems like a weird dream considering they made teh big splash.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
I was hoping they were going to do that this year but went with vets instead. Don't think you need to add a ton of youth but they need to start breaking in 1 or 2 new guys.

Yep. Even when they had the perfect chance to work in the young guys (when Zus and Shaw were both hurt) they still went ahead and sent both Nordstrom and Pirri back to Rockford so we had to play Versteeg at center until Shaw could come back. :shakehead

SLarmer28*

In the interest of not capping Shaw's upside, what do you realistically see him becoming?
2014-15 NHL Regular Season:

Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - Kane
Bickell - Teravainen - Morin/Smith
Bollig/Morin - Kruger - Smith/Condra

2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - Kane
Bickell - Teravainen - Smith
xxxx - Kruger - Condra

xxxx = Morin or trade deadline acquisition on the cheap

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
2014-15 NHL Regular Season:

Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - Kane
Bickell - Teravainen - Morin/Smith
Bollig/Morin - Kruger - Smith/Condra

2015 Stanley Cup Playoffs

Sharp - Toews - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - Kane
Bickell - Teravainen - Smith
xxxx - Kruger - Condra

xxxx = Morin or trade deadline acquisition on the cheap

Uh, not on what line. Like his skillset. Where he'd best slot on a team in his prime. Strengths/weaknesses. No links please.

SLarmer28*

St Louis is planning that Stanley Cup Parade later this month! :sarcasm:

SLarmer28*

Uh, not on what line. Like his skillset. Where he'd best slot on a team in his prime. Strengths/weaknesses. No links please.
Strengths:

Forechecking
Net Front Presence
Deflections
Work Ethic

Weaknesses:

Defense (could improve)
Faceoffs (could improve)

Ceiling - second line center
Floor - third line center

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
Others have said it, but I think Shaw fits best at 3RW

Issues are 1) we would then need 2C and 3C, and 2) We have a plethora of wings, especially RW

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Strengths:

Forechecking
Net Front Presence
Deflections
Work Ethic

Weaknesses:

Defense (could improve)
Faceoffs (could improve)

Ceiling - second line center
Floor - third line center

I'd agree with strengths and weakness for the most part. But this is why I see him more as a third liner or a guy who finds his way into the top 6 as a grinder winger.

IMO, most top-six 82-game centers (especially at 5'10) are above average at one or more of the following characteristics: vision, hands, shot. Basically, the skills that "skill players" have. Shaw isn't necessarily bad in those departments, but he doesn't really stand out to me. This is why I see his ceiling lower, especially at his size. I think Shaw gets everything out of his God-given body/skills which I think should be an enormous compliment. And I can see, with that work ethic, why he could maybe exceed the ceiling many of us have set for him.

SLarmer28*

I'd agree with strengths and weakness for the most part. But this is why I see him more as a third liner or a guy who finds his way into the top 6 as a grinder winger.

IMO, most top-six 82-game centers (especially at 5'10) are above average at one or more of the following characteristics: vision, hands, shot. Basically, the skills that "skill players" have. Shaw isn't necessarily bad in those departments, but he doesn't really stand out to me. This is why I see his ceiling lower, especially at his size. I think Shaw gets everything out of his God-given body/skills which I think should be an enormous compliment. And I can see, with that work ethic, why he could maybe exceed the ceiling many of us have set for him.
Shaw has good hands, not necessarily great hands. Shaw's vision is just fine, better than Bickell. Shaw has a higher hockey IQ than Bickell and much higher than Stalberg can ever dream of.

I'd prefer if the Chicago Blackhawks trend towards bigger wingers in the future (Versteeg - wimp, Nordstrom - wimp) which is why Shaw needs to remain at center. Then again, if centers were so easy to acquire or develop then there would not be so many posts in the trade rumors section which regard to the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad