Speculation: 2014-15 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread (Cap , Roster , etc) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Definitely need some fresh blood. Not an old time hockey guy by any stretch of the imagination, but a true energy guy or two would be nice up front. Versteeg can go. Smith gets paid - PLEASE - and a promotion to the third line. Rozi has been a good soldier so send him someplace warm.

In fantasy land I wouldn't hate to see Oduya, Bickell and Bollig go. Give Leddy a chance to step up and play big minutes. Rundblad gets flipped somewhere for a third. Two of Johns, Dahlbeck and Clendening make the team along with a cheap Brookbank type to round out the D.

southernbeardown54

Apr 23, 2012
I am intrigued by McNeil and possibly Hayes. I think the hawks have to get bigger. The league has almost decided not to call interference in the playoffs and you must have the size to fight through that garbage. The blue line size also is problematic. Good gosh it's almost easy to predict goals against when that traffic gets in front of the net no hawk dman are physical enough to push and clear space. I understand that's partially the way the hawks play which seems to be position over body though. How much better it is to be a hawk fan than say blues or nucks. We are blessed with our small frustrations.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I'm all for keeping Smith, but not on the third line - at least not consistently. He is what he is at this point; an energy, trench guy with enough skill around the net to pot his share of goals. But he makes slow decisions and I can't count the amount of times he turned the puck over at the defensive blueline because he needs 2-3 seconds to decide where to go with the puck.

The good outweighs the bad with Smith. Just keep him in the role he's in and don't expect him to be more.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm all for keeping Smith, but not on the third line - at least not consistently. He is what he is at this point; an energy, trench guy with enough skill around the net to pot his share of goals. But he makes slow decisions and I can't count the amount of times he turned the puck over at the defensive blueline because he needs 2-3 seconds to decide where to go with the puck.

The good outweighs the bad with Smith. Just keep him in the role he's in and don't expect him to be more.

Totally agree. He's great and doing what is does. If he improves maybe he can take a bigger role, but he's perfect where is he right now. I would like to keep him, though.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Smith is a warrior and a guy that leaves everything on the ice, just like Frolik before him. He can play up and down the lineup and gives this team versatility. I'd gladly take two Smith's to one Bickell, playoff's included.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

I agree with you on 99% of your post, but I think Smith is a fine 3rd line RW for this team. He'll pot his 15-20 goals a year, be defensively responsible, and can move all around the lineup. He's probably the 3rd best player below the circles outside of Toews and Hossa. Not many players on the team get to the net as well as he does off the rush. If we could keep Smith on the 4th line then great, that's a luxury.

I also think Shaw can easily be a 20/20 guy as long as he continues to get time on the PP. Ever since his first game against Philly a few years ago, I thought he had underrated hands, solid hockey sense, and a nose for the net. I'm not worried about his production at all if he stays healthy. I think it's very likely the third line going into next year is Bickell-Shaw-Smith.

Last edited:

SLarmer28*

Ben Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kris "wimp" Versteeg

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Ben Smith >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kris "wimp" Versteeg

I see everybody has turned Versteeg into the Frolik of 2011/2012. I think he can be an effective player in this league again. Confidence looked shot toward the end of the year. People had high expectations for him after his return, so I definitely understand the frustration with him.

My only gripe with Q over the years is his unfortunate ability to bury a guy's confidence. Him icing Bollig over Versteeg reminds me of the John Scott situation in 2011. Once Bowman shipped him to New York is when Frolik became a key player again for the team.

I hope the cap is around $70M next year so we have room for him. If he bounces back, great. If not, his contract is up at the end of the year. I still think the trade that brought him back was the right decision.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Steeger was horrendous and was turning puck over every shift

Q frankly gave Steeger too much respect ,, Blaming Q for how terrible Steeger was on ice is absurd

SLarmer28*

I see everybody has turned Versteeg into the Frolik of 2011/2012. I think he can be an effective player in this league again. Confidence looked shot toward the end of the year. People had high expectations for him after his return, so I definitely understand the frustration with him.

My only gripe with Q over the years is his unfortunate ability to bury a guy's confidence. Him icing Bollig over Versteeg reminds me of the John Scott situation in 2011. Once Bowman shipped him to New York is when Frolik became a key player again for the team.

I hope the cap is around $70M next year so we have room for him. If he bounces back, great. If not, his contract is up at the end of the year. I still think the trade that brought him back was the right decision.
No thanks! I had my fill of Mister Double Dangle Blue Line Turnover Special.

I'd rather flip Kris Versteeg for an asset (player, prospect, pick) and move on to Ben Smith, Jeremy Morin, Mark McNeill, Kevin Hayes (if he signs a contract that is).

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Steeger was horrendous and was turning puck over every shift

Q frankly gave Steeger too much respect ,, Blaming Q for how terrible Steeger was on ice is absurd

Versteeg was fine until playoff time. And never in my post did I blame Q for Versteeg's ineffectiveness on the ice late in season. I said that Frolik became the same whipping boy during 2011-2012 and Q continued to ice the inferior hockey player in John Scott. Versteeg is still a more talented hockey player than anybody on the fourth line. He just looked like he lacked confidence and wasn't himself. It was Q's fault for not finding another role for him. Why didn't he test him on the PK at all during the regular season? Didn't he do this in 2010? But I will admit that his 'fancy play syndrome' does irritate me a lot. Maybe next year he'll come in and embrace his role a bit more.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago
Huh?

Kris Versteeg only scored 4 goals in the last 41 games of the regular season primarily playing on the second line: Versteeg - Handzus - Kane.

Kane was injured for 40% of those games for those keeping score at home. And Zus is the worst guy on the team. Not sure what you're trying to say.

SLarmer28*

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster

FORWARDS
Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
Brandon Saad ($0.764m) / Andrew Shaw ($2.000m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
Bryan Bickell ($4.000m) / Teuvo Teravainen ($0.894m) / Jeremy Morin ($0.761m)
Travis Moen ($0.925m—50.00%) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Ben Smith ($0.925m)
Brandon Bollig ($1.250m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
Johnny Oduya ($3.375m) / Niklas Hjalmarsson ($4.100m)
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m)
David Rundblad ($0.785m)

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.925m)

TRADES (Salary Cap Dumps)
Kris Versteeg ($2.200m) to Montreal for Travis Moen @ 50% retained salary
Michal Rozsival ($2.200m) to Detroit for 2015 NHL Draft Pick (GMKH loves geriatrics)

BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)
Rostislav Olesz ($0.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,093,045; BONUSES: $630,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $906,955

BGFalconHawks

Apr 2, 2013
Grayslake, IL

FORWARDS
Travis Moen ($0.925m—50.00%) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Ben Smith ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m)
David Rundblad ($0.785m)

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.925m)

TRADES (Salary Cap Dumps)
Kris Versteeg ($2.200m) to Montreal for Travis Moen @ 50% retained salary
Michal Rozsival ($2.200m) to Detroit for 2015 NHL Draft Pick (GMKH loves geriatrics)

BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)

SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,093,045; BONUSES: $630,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $906,955

Who the **** wants Travis Moen...I only want the Pahlsson/Niedermeyer version of him and we are about 7 too years late on that.

SLarmer28*

Who the **** wants Travis Moen...I only want the Pahlsson/Niedermeyer version of him and we are about 7 too years late on that.
You're right.

No one wants Travis Moen and no one wants Michal Rozsival either.

SLarmer28*

FORWARDS
Tanner Glass ($1.000m) / Marcus Kruger ($1.325m) / Ben Smith ($0.925m)

DEFENSEMEN
Nick Leddy ($2.700m) / Michal Rozsival ($2.200m)
David Rundblad ($0.785m)

GOALTENDERS
Corey Crawford ($6.000m)
Antti Raanta ($0.925m)

TRADES
Kris Versteeg ($2.200m)

BUYOUTS
Steve Montador ($0.000m)

SALARY CAP: $68,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,118,045; BONUSES: $630,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): -$118,045

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad