2014-15 Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I take it as Allen for Vancouver and Elliott against the hawks since it's a 1 day break

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Ott is better than Paajarvi on this team.

As much as Paajarvi has lacked impact, he's still better at jumpstarting rushes and creating offensive zone chances. Ott is more useful overall, but in a lineup that has both, I can see the logic in playing Paajarvi with better players.

Twisted Blue

Feb 4, 2013
St. Louis
Ott is better than Paajarvi on this team.

How many points has Ott scored while on the same line as Backes and Oshie? I think Paajarvi could produce more as an offensive threat paired with them. Paajarvi is not a hitter and should not be on the 4th line, which is where Ott should be.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'd prefer Paajarvi to play well enough to make that switch an obvious move. I haven't seen it from him yet, and this season at least, the Backes line is a shut-down line first. Ott is better suited to that role than Paajarvi. But hey, Paajarvi is getting into a couple games here, so the onus is on him to force the coaches to keep him in the line-up. He doesn't have to be an offensive dynamo on the 4th line, but he needs to show some kind of spark.

But the guy that I think should be argued for here isn't Paajarvi. Its Jaskin. I'd rather see him on that line with Ott on the 4th. If things go badly in a game, you can shift Ott up as needed (if Jaskin wilts against opponent's top lines).

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How many points has Ott scored while on the same line as Backes and Oshie? I think Paajarvi could produce more as an offensive threat paired with them. Paajarvi is not a hitter and should not be on the 4th line, which is where Ott should be.
I agree Paajarvi shouldn't be on the 4th line. He also shouldn't be on the first. I don't see what he really brings to this roster anywhere.

I know people don't like Ott with Backes and Oshie but he at least keeps that line as a physical, defensively formidable line to play against. They'll have an identity. Paajarvi really offers nothing. Sure he has speed and more "offensive potential", but he doesn't use either to his advantage. His idea of creating offense is trying wrap arounds which don't work. He wouldn't help Backes or Oshie produce, so you might as well stick the veteran with them who you know will play a role.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I agree Paajarvi shouldn't be on the 4th line. He also shouldn't be on the first. I don't see what he really brings to this roster anywhere.

I know people don't like Ott with Backes and Oshie but he at least keeps that line as a physical, defensively formidable line to play against. They'll have an identity. Paajarvi really offers nothing. Sure he has speed and more "offensive potential", but he doesn't use either to his advantage. His idea of creating offense is trying wrap arounds which don't work. He wouldn't help Backes or Oshie produce, so you might as well stick the veteran with them who you know will play a role.

I don't think it's that simple, but I also don't think anybody's really bent out of shape about frickin' Ott vs. Paajarvi, either. Neither one of those players should be the difference between a win or a loss with the talent throughout the rest of the lineup.

And if anybody checks out JR's Morning Skate today, Hitch specifically noted that those two might swap.

But the guy that I think should be argued for here isn't Paajarvi. Its Jaskin. I'd rather see him on that line with Ott on the 4th. If things go badly in a game, you can shift Ott up as needed (if Jaskin wilts against opponent's top lines).

I appreciate the idea of giving Jaskin big responsibility in the minors, but I'm still a bit surprised they went with Porter over him simply because of Jaskin's ability to play up and down the lineup. Considering they play Lindstrom 10-13 minutes a night, they could definitely swap Jaskin up a lot. If the Blues don't score well over the next couple of games and Stastny's absence is prolonged, it would be a lost opportunity if they didn't recall Jaskin.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I don't think it's that simple, but I also don't think anybody's really bent out of shape about frickin' Ott vs. Paajarvi, either. Neither one of those players should be the difference between a win or a loss with the talent throughout the rest of the lineup.

And if anybody checks out JR's Morning Skate today, Hitch specifically noted that those two might swap.
I think it is pretty simple and I never said anyone was bent out of shape about it, although some GDTs may tell you otherwise.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
I think it is pretty simple and I never said anyone was bent out of shape about it, although some GDTs may tell you otherwise.

I didn't mean to imply that you said that, I was just commenting on a relevant topic. People are really salty 'round these parts, lately. :help:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Would it be best to load our top 6 up? Go with SOB and Schwartz-Stastny-Tarasenko with Berglund-Lehtera-Lindstrom as the 3rd line. Maybe Hitch and all of us wanted to shelter the new guys a bit, but Lehtera and Lindstrom are showing that they don't really need that IMO. I think they would be fine on their own away from their bigger linemates.

I made mention of doing something like this before the Stastny injury but now it is even more important. Spreading out the offense doesn't work unless line assembly allows for fully effective lines. Your top 6 must matchup with the other teams top 6.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I appreciate the idea of giving Jaskin big responsibility in the minors, but I'm still a bit surprised they went with Porter over him simply because of Jaskin's ability to play up and down the lineup. Considering they play Lindstrom 10-13 minutes a night, they could definitely swap Jaskin up a lot. If the Blues don't score well over the next couple of games and Stastny's absence is prolonged, it would be a lost opportunity if they didn't recall Jaskin.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe the team wasn't happy with the progress Jaskin's skating has shown.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Porter and Jaskin weren't really in competition with each other. Keeping Porter was the obvious choice because you can throw him in the press box and it won't do any harm.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
You guys are right, these should be the lines right now

Jaskin-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Berglund-Lindstrom
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

At some point I wouldn't mind seeing this

Steen-Stastny-Oshie
Schwartz-Backes-Jaskin
Berglund-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

you could flip Schwartz and Bergy if you want as well

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
You guys are right, these should be the lines right now

Jaskin-Backes-Oshie
Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Berglund-Lindstrom
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

At some point I wouldn't mind seeing this

Steen-Stastny-Oshie
Schwartz-Backes-Jaskin
Berglund-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves

you could flip Schwartz and Bergy if you want as well

I would definitely like to see Oshie and Stastny play together - they were very good linemates in the Olympics. But at this point, I see no reason to separate Schwartz and Tarasenko. It could certainly work, but I think you avoid breaking them up unless there's some unseen chemistry with other players.

And while I'd also like to see Jaskin again, there is just no reason to bench Lindstrom right now. Everybody loves the gritty 4th line for good reason, but if you're playing Jaskin, go ahead and sit Lapierre and Reaves and give me a higher skill 4th line. Not to pick apart fantasy lines too much, just some thoughts about how the team appears to work right now.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I would definitely like to see Oshie and Stastny play together - they were very good linemates in the Olympics. But at this point, I see no reason to separate Schwartz and Tarasenko. It could certainly work, but I think you avoid breaking them up unless there's some unseen chemistry with other players.

And while I'd also like to see Jaskin again, there is just no reason to bench Lindstrom right now. Everybody loves the gritty 4th line for good reason, but if you're playing Jaskin, go ahead and sit Lapierre and Reaves and give me a higher skill 4th line. Not to pick apart fantasy lines too much, just some thoughts about how the team appears to work right now.

I'm not sure what all the analytics are that the team prioritizes, but Pang was referencing something in a recent broadcast to the effect that Tarasenko and Schwartz together have a special synergy not seen with other player combos, that the team was tracking objectively. That matches my perception watching the games, too. Unless there is a compelling reason, I would make it a priority to play those two together (with either Lehtera or Stastny).

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm starting to come to the conclusion that it's not going to matter whether Lehtera or Stastny centers Schwartz. They're able to take games over between the two of them. You can tell they have a special type of chemistry between them.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Andy Strickland @andystrickland
T.J. Oshie says he's feeling less pressure to score this season than before. PP time is down and starting more shifts in D-zone #stlblues
Congrats on that, TJ. You're playing like crap.

STEVIE RAY BLUES

Jul 5, 2009
Has anyone heard of a specific update on Stasny's injuries? It's not the playoffs so I'm not sure why we haven't heard exactly whats up. I also might just have missed it. Thanks ahead of time.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Has anyone heard of a specific update on Stasny's injuries? It's not the playoffs so I'm not sure why we haven't heard exactly whats up. I also might just have missed it. Thanks ahead of time.

He's out of his sling, and will be reevaluated this weekend.

On a hilarious note...Steen is sick and Hitch indicated 6 others may have the bug. Wtf is with this team, do they all share the same water bottle, jeez.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Flu shots are not the be all, end all of flu prevention. You can still get the flu even with a shot. There are a ton of different strains. With how much time these guys spend close to each other it's not a surprise the flu is going around. All it takes is for one guy to get it.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Flu shots are not the be all, end all of flu prevention. You can still get the flu even with a shot. There are a ton of different strains. With how much time these guys spend close to each other it's not a surprise the flu is going around. All it takes is for one guy to get it.

Yep, with all the travel and going to places where other people have been traveling, the chance of getting a different strain is increased a lot. And recent flu strain predictions have been worse than before. This nearly happens to every team, every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad