2014-15 Goalie Madness: Someone HELP US

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think it's cool that whichever way Nill/Ruff go, Kari's going to have a fellow countryman pushing him for starts. Agreed on Campbell being the go-to guy in Texas for another year.

EDIT: Whoops, thought Lindback was Finnish. Still.....close enough. :sarcasm:

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I hope that Campbell is in Austin for two more years. He has an extra year of eligibility on waiver exemptions because he's a goalie, and there's not much reason to not use it at this point. You're never going hurt a goalie by being slow with them, and even next year I don't know that there's a ton of value in him as a 20 game back up when the alternative is potentially one extra full season as an AHL starter. I think that could easily be better for his development long term ... two full AHL seasons rather than making him backup. IMO ... that's exactly what STL did with Allen, and it is going to pay off huge for them in the long run. Exhaust that waiver exemption at all costs.

LT

XXXX - XXXX - XX__ - ____
Jul 23, 2010
I think it's cool that whichever way Nill/Ruff go, Kari's going to have a fellow countryman pushing him for starts. Agreed on Campbell being the go-to guy in Texas for another year.

EDIT: Whoops, thought Lindback was Finnish. Still.....close enough. :sarcasm:

Rynnas is Finnish.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
[nhl]633497[/nhl]

Ruff indicates Lehtonen will play quite a few games this season. He could potentially play as many as last year. The difference this year is in a non-condensed Olympic schedule the games won't be as tough.

"He's going to play back to back, he's going to play more games. You no ideally we'll keep him you know somewhere close to those games maybe some less if we can keep him a little bit fresher.That schedule was borderline ridiculous at the end."

He started just before by saying Hasek and Miller performed better with bigger loads and knowing that that heavy workload was coming. He mentioned he told Kari before the season to expect to play quite a bit.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
It's being widely reported that VAN Markstrom is on waivers. I think this was smart of the Canucks. The sooner he goes on waivers, the less likely he's taken because of a camp or pre-season injury. If a team already had designs on taking him because of his talent, they'd take him now or later.

I think Dallas should do the same with Glennie. If you're on the fence and he really could make the team, maybe wait. If not, just bite the bullet.

MetalGodAOD*

"He's going to play back to back, he's going to play more games. You no ideally we'll keep him you know somewhere close to those games maybe some less if we can keep him a little bit fresher.That schedule was borderline ridiculous at the end."

Same **** different year. So silly.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Same **** different year. So silly.

I almost added it was the one thing I am not a huge fan of that Ruff does. I think he might be trying to apply an Eastern Conference philosophy to the Western Conference. At the same time though ... Kari's paid to be that 60+ game guy. Even though he's paid that way, I don't know that he's suited for it.

We'll see I guess. Fortunately this year they seem to have the depth that you'd expect at least one of the three to be able pick up the slack for Kari if he does hit a wall. That said, I feel like I said this about Ellis so I don't know how much faith I have that all the goaltending woes are solved.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Hopefully Ruff doesn't drive him into the ground like Tips did with Turco that one year. If his play suffers, throw Rynnas/Lindback in. If not, play the hot hand.

Primetimey*

It's being widely reported that VAN Markstrom is on waivers. I think this was smart of the Canucks. The sooner he goes on waivers, the less likely he's taken because of a camp or pre-season injury. If a team already had designs on taking him because of his talent, they'd take him now or later.

I think Dallas should do the same with Glennie. If you're on the fence and he really could make the team, maybe wait. If not, just bite the bullet.

Don't worry, he isn't going to get claimed.

McGinley

Captain, my captain
Feb 13, 2013
Kari got new buckets.

p7dyzcn.jpg

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
He's holding true to not going crazy as he gets older ... focusing more on the game ... something along those lines.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I have no confidence whatsoever in Lindback. I predict another year of horrible backup goaltending.

Yeah I really wish they had some other options. It was really dumb to only come into the season with one. It'd be great if they had an older, youngish guy that had some success in Europe who might be NHL ready. What else would be perfect is if they had a top prospect that was too young to be in the NHL playing limited minutes, but he might be ready as an injury fill in or if some one doesn't live up to expectations.

I hate when teams ignore depth.

Alistar

Jul 9, 2006
^^ ahahah nice.

One thing I will say in support of Lindback is that he is only 26 years old. Sometimes goaltenders suddenly figure it out in their late 20's / early 30's.

I mean it's better than picking a guy in his 30's like Dallas has done lately and expect something different than the hundreds of games track record they've built up to that point. The book isn't closed yet on Lindback, and he could surprise.

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
Yeah I really wish they had some other options. It was really dumb to only come into the season with one. It'd be great if they had an older, youngish guy that had some success in Europe who might be NHL ready. What else would be perfect is if they had a top prospect that was too young to be in the NHL playing limited minutes, but he might be ready as an injury fill in or if some one doesn't live up to expectations.

I hate when teams ignore depth.

I just don't like Lindback from what I have seen of him. I was really hoping for Rynnas to win the job. But since Rynnas couldn't beat out Lindback I'm not holding my breath.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I just don't like Lindback from what I have seen of him. I was really hoping for Rynnas to win the job. But since Rynnas couldn't beat out Lindback I'm not holding my breath.

I know, and I get it. He was awful last year. I was just having some fun.

Regarding your last statement ... I don't believe he ever had a real shot. Rynnas' contract was designed to clear waivers. Lindback was always their guy. He would have needed to be awful, and he wasn't.

Rynnas was just a great depth signing IMO, and he'll push Campbell. I wish Campbell would play 60 games, but at the same time .... screw it make him earn it. If he can't beat out a Nilstorp or Rynnas, he's going to have a hard time every succeeding in the NHL.

I could for sure see Rynnas in the back up role next year. Unless Lindback has an amazing year, I doubt he's back. I doubt he's going to love only playing 20 or so games anyway. He'll probably want to move on if Lehtonen remains healthy.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Rynnas was expected to be the backup for tonight’s game but he is ill, so Anders Lindback will back up Lehtonen.

I'd have liked to see more of Rynnas but if he's not going to be able to play anyway then it's best to put him through waivers now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad