2014-15 CIS Pre-Season

leafhky88

Mar 16, 2009
Toronto
Attended the first exhibition game of the year for Laurier and Waterloo (at University of Waterloo). It was the Battle of Waterloo, or the battle between last year's OUA West 9th and 10th place teams (the only 2 teams not to make the playoffs). Both teams are looking to do better this year.

The game was tied at 4 after regulation, which saw 5 minutes of 4 on 4 which solved nothing, then the 5 minutes of 3 on 3 which was noted on these boards as a first time rule in the OUA. It was extremely interesting to watch. You did not have enough skaters to run a cycle, or offensive zone pressure, so all attacking was done in waves. It was also interesting to see both teams start with 2 forwards and 1 defenceman. I believe part way through, they both changed strategies to 1 forward and 2 defencemen.

Laurier scored with 0.5 seconds left in the second OT to win, as Michael Webley in his first game as a Goldenhawk completed his hattrick. Derek Schoenmakers scored the other 2 goals for Laurier.

Goals for Waterloo I believe were:
Matt Amadio x 2
Joel Hoekstra
Joe Underwood

Both teams were short some regulars due to injury/scratched for preseason. Newcomers for Laurier who impressed included Webley and Erik Pushka up front, and Matt Franczyk on D.

Total shots I believe were around 37-32 for Laurier, despite Waterloo being much stronger possession wise in the first period, with the rest of the game fairly even.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Good day for the AUS....X over UNH 2-0 and Acadia over Quinnipiac 4-1.

Other scores....BC over UNB 6-4, RPI over UPEI 5-2, UMass over Dal 5-2, and BU over STU 12-1.

Last edited:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I don't know if they even travel outside of the AUS for exhibition games. Not sure why.

Good point...certainly does seem strange. You would think Moncton would play some Quebec teams once in a while. SMU could probably hold their own against most Hockey East teams....but maybe they don't have it in the budget to travel down south.

CoconutHockey*

For the second straight year, Waterloo wins their only trip south - this time, it's a 5-4 victory over Notre Dame.

Sounds like Waterloo, McGill, UQTR and Carleton will dominate the OUA once again this year.
Decent U.S. trip by McGill so far, lost 3-2 to a very good Denver squad last night and going into OT (4-4) against Colorado College tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad