Olympics: 2014 — Finland Roster Discussion (Part II) (Released, post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Unless they don't play Barkov and Lehterä on fourth line and O.J on second?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Filppula-Koivu-J.Jokinen
Selänne-Kontiola-Aaltonen
T.Ruutu-Barkov-Granlund
Korpikoski-O.Jokinen-Komarov

That third line is gonna get more TOI than that second line. If Selänne-Kontiola-JMA is gonna be a line, this is only what makes sense to me, maybe flip Korpikoski and Ruutu...
So, you're willing to buy that Kontiola-Selänne thing, but won't acknowledge that Koivu and Ruutu will be in the same unit? Some logical infallacy there...

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Filppula and Bergenheim didn't compete at the same spot, or did i misunderstand something?

I think regardless of age, Barkov is a better option than OJ as the 2nd line center. With that being said, I dont think recent success with Barkov is enough justification to have Bergenheim on his wing in the Olympics, or at least bumping someone like Filppula out of the top six. Its not a slight against Bergenheim, since Im a fan of his, and the Panthers, its just Filppula is having a good season, and deserve to be one of Finland's top six wingers.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I think regardless of age, Barkov is a better option than OJ as the 2nd line center.
He could be. But in turn, OJ is a worse option for 4th line center than Barkov is. And having a good 2C and a good 4C is better than having a great 2C and a bad 4C.

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
So, you're willing to buy that Kontiola-Selänne thing, but won't acknowledge that Koivu and Ruutu will be in the same unit? Some logical infallacy there...

Antti Mäkinen is not a guy that just make stuff up, so i think he has some info..
Sure you can switch Filppula/J.Jokinen and T.Ruutu, but i thought that T.Ruutu-Barkov-Granlund line could have some potential..

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
He could be. But in turn, OJ is a worse option for 4th line center than Barkov is. And having a good 2C and a good 4C is better than having a great 2C and a bad 4C.

Have you thought that there might be a chance that Erkka wont play Barkov? I mean, it sound like he take Barkov because he will be a future top line center.. I know it would be stupid to not play him, but we all know that Erkka trust his vets..

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
Have you thought that there might be a chance that Erkka wont play Barkov? I mean, it sound like he take Barkov because he will be a future top line center.. I know it would be stupid to not play him, but we all know that Erkka trust his vets..

Finland's best chance at winning a medal is with Barkov playing, not sitting in the press box.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Antti Mäkinen is not a guy that just make stuff up, so i think he has some info..
Sure you can switch Filppula/J.Jokinen and T.Ruutu, but i thought that T.Ruutu-Barkov-Granlund line could have some potential..
I didn't doubt Mäkinen's sources. It's just that you made up that Aaltonen-Kontiola-Selänne -line based on outside info, but all the rest based on your personal preference. That's the leap in logic I was referring to.

Either build every line based on how you'd prefer them to be, or how you believe they will be. Ones that mix these two views are confusing as heck.

I have considered that. Actually, I have no doubt that Koivu, Jokinen and Kontiola will be in the lineup before Barkov. And could be that Lehterä is too. You never know. However, the point was that given our ratio of mostly offensive vs. solid two-way centermen is not exactly even, and one of the latter will be our 1C. So it's highly likely that Barkov, if and hopefully when he gets to hit the ice, will be leading an unit in the bottom-six.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Maybe Erkka took this job a year ago and figured out the only way to get anything is to get the old guard one more time and hope Rinne (now Rask) standa on his head.
So he calls up Jokinen then, gets him to return, and sorta promises #2 centre spot.
Koivu/Jokinen/Koivu/Kontiola down the middle being his thinking after MM/WC 2013

Then come late 2013 a certain Sasha Barkov decides that he will be in the Olympics and Erkka has talked himself into a bag..

Saku Koivu is Erkka's choice as Captain, thinks Mikko would be better choice. Goes over this with Erkka - it's Mikko's team. During this he hears Barkov won't be in, can't understand why, argues with Erkka about Barkov, NHL vs KHL etc. Erkka doesn't budge, Saku decides Barkov is already better than him and pulls out from team forcing Erkka's hand.

/this conspiracy theory brought to you by Raimo Sillanpää originals (all rights reserved)

Harvest

Nov 21, 2013
Either build every line based on how you'd prefer them to be, or how you believe they will be. Ones that mix these two views are confusing as heck.

Actually i just thought that would be something what Erkka might do so i didn't mix those two.. It wasn't my fantasy line up, because there would be no room for JMA.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
If he's looking to make sure that Barkov isn't interested in playing ever again for the NT, sure, why not.

You don't select NHL top6 centers into a national team just to sit in the pressbox. Even if it's the "lowly" Florida Panthers top6 we're talking about.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
IF Kontiola is truly going to play with Selänne, then JMA is a popcorn guy. Has to be. JMA-Kontiola-Teemu sounds like a trainwreck. If you build a line like that, you might as well have brought along Leino too and stuck him and Lehterä into the lineup and put everyone who's not a moody artist into the pressbox or told them to stay at home.

Barkov may start out in the pressbox, but I hope Erkka will see reason by the time the first two games are over and done with and remove Lehterä in favor of Barkov. I would much rather have Sasha play against Canada than Lehterä.

Watching SKA-Sibir now: Lehterä deserves to be on the Finnish team, IMHO

Dude, the problem has never been his KHL play. It's his NT play, which has been and still is extremely underwhelming. Nobody knows the reason, but he can't get it together. He's had ONE good EHT tournament over the last several years, and that tournament was the first part of EHT this season. In the other tournament he took part in this season he was back to his underwhelming NT self. The Finnish NT has little use for that Lehterä, especially not over Kontiola or Barkov.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Actually i just thought that would be something what Erkka might do so i didn't mix those two.. It wasn't my fantasy line up, because there would be no room for JMA.
I see. Well, I'll be hugely surprised if he decides to separate Koivu and Ruutu. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing some player there who's on a hotter streak, but knowing the chemistry between these two, it's highly unlikely.

IF Kontiola is truly going to play with Selänne, then JMA is a popcorn guy. Has to be. JMA-Kontiola-Teemu sounds like a trainwreck. If you build a line like that, you might as well have brought along Leino too and stuck him and Lehterä into the lineup and put everyone who's not a moody artist into the pressbox or told them to stay at home.
They'll rotate, I could bet my left nut on it. Teemu is not going to be able to play 15-20 minutes a game over this tournament. So Aaltonen dresses for games as the nominal 13th forward, but is ready to jump in at a moment's notice. The line is going to be Korpikoski-Kontiola-Selänne/JMA or Komarov-Kontiola-Selänne/JMA.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
They'll rotate, I could bet my left nut on it. Teemu is not going to be able to play 15-20 minutes a game over this tournament. So Aaltonen dresses for games as the nominal 13th forward, but is ready to jump in at a moment's notice. The line is going to be Korpikoski-Kontiola-Selänne/JMA or Komarov-Kontiola-Selänne/JMA.

Could be, but as I said, all 3 of them on the ice at the same time = trouble for us. Even J. Jalonen wouldn't have built a line like that.

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
As File said Teemu and JMA will probably rotate I think Erkka will go with this on the offense:

Filppula - Koivu - Ruutu
Granlund - OJ - JJ
Korpikoski - Konna - Selänne/JMA
Komarov - Barkov - Pihlström
Lehterä

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland
This is how it should have been

MG-Koivu-Ruutu

Filppula-Barkov-Bergs(RW?)

Korpikoski-OJ-JJ

Komarov-Koivu/Kapanen-Pihlström

Selänne

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
can i ask why u guys insist on making lineups with guys who aren't on the team?

To paraphrase:
This is how it should have been
It's a personal fantasy roster, plain and simple.

Or are you confused by some of the nicknames we use? In that case, "Pillu" stands for Antti Pihlström, "Konna" for Petri Kontiola and "JMA" for Juhamatti Aaltonen, all on the team. "OJ" is Olli Jokinen and "JJ" is Jussi Jokinen, should be self-explanatory.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
J.Jokinen-Koivu-Ruutu
Filppula-O.Jokinen-Granlund
Korpikoski-Barkov-Selanne
Komarov-Kontiola-Pihlstrom/Aaltonen

Timonen-Vatanen
Salo-Maatta
Kukkonen-Vaananen
Lepisto

Rask

ShootFromTheHip

Jan 7, 2014
J.Jokinen-Koivu-Ruutu
Filppula-O.Jokinen-Granlund
Korpikoski-Barkov-Selanne
Komarov-Kontiola-Pihlstrom/Aaltonen

Timonen-Vatanen
Salo-Maatta
Kukkonen-Vaananen
Lepisto

Rask

I expect that if JMA is supposed to take some of Selänne's shifts, Kontiola and Barkov will probably switch places because Erkka wants Kontiola and JMA playing together. I myself would like to see Selänne with Barkov/Granlund/Filppula so he would have a good passer with him. But that probably won't happen because he can't be used as a full time top6 winger anymore. Other than that my only consern is can Fil and Granlund play together because they both like to hold puck and are more of a pass-first guys, so it could be Fil-Koivu-Ruutu and JJ-OJ-MG.
Other than that this seems pretty accurate

Killerinstinct

Dec 19, 2012
Still can´t believe Bergenheim is not in the team. Is better than Pihlström or Aaltonen. And can play all roles.

teddy83

Nov 2, 2013
I expect that if JMA is supposed to take some of Selänne's shifts, Kontiola and Barkov will probably switch places because Erkka wants Kontiola and JMA playing together. I myself would like to see Selänne with Barkov/Granlund/Filppula so he would have a good passer with him. But that probably won't happen because he can't be used as a full time top6 winger anymore. Other than that my only consern is can Fil and Granlund play together because they both like to hold puck and are more of a pass-first guys, so it could be Fil-Koivu-Ruutu and JJ-OJ-MG.

You can get more out of Selanne if he plays with Barkov, no disrespect to Kontiola, but Barkov is more of pass-first guy, It would give Barkov similiar line that he has right now in Florida but better, And what is this talk about JMA taking some of Selanne's shifts? He's in the 3rd line, they are gonna play somewhere between 13-16 minutes per game. witch is same amount he plays in Anaheim. And the Filppula\Granlund thing? Wouldn't Filppula have the same problem with Koivu? And besides Filppula shoots nowdays more. But i have no problem with MG-OJ-JJ line either, JJ and OJ have history together so i see your point.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
You pretty much just described the roster posted by yours truly and Bloodhound only a few posts back.

He's in the 3rd line, they are gonna play somewhere between 13-16 minutes per game. witch is same amount he plays in Anaheim.
It's not the minutes per game, it's the game frequency. The Ducks play around three games a week, and even then Teemu is sitting some out. In the olympics, there will be double the games in that time.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Who will be the penalty killers? I'm sure Korpedo,Komarov and Pillu will be but after that? If it's Koivu and Filppula they will be playing something like 24 min per game..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad