Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XI - Announcement Jan 7th, 12PM EST, TSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Bergeron proved himself last year in the playoffs plus in 2011 finals that he is much more than a face-off guy...he is a money player when stakes are high

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Bergeron did prove himself in the playoffs no doubt but when I look at his role on Canada heres my thought process. He is a defensive forward having a bad yr offensively. He won't be our no. 1 shut down guy as Toews will play that role. I have Getzlaf as my 4th line center and he is good defensively. While he is clutch I don't see him being put out there in big situations unless its a defensive face off and then he is off. Factor in he came in 2010 and wasn't barely used. He's a great player I just see a lot of reasons why he might not make it.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Bergeron proved himself last year in the playoffs plus in 2011 finals that he is much more than a face-off guy...he is a money player when stakes are high

I'd like to see him on the team, too. If we have learned nothing from this years' WJRs, we have learned that winning without a strong face off percentage is tough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I also like Mike Richards more than him personally for his ability to change a game even without having to score.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Bergeron will be there, will be shocked if he isn't.... only player I can see taking Bergy's spot is Mike Richards... but again, wouldn't be shocked if both are on the team.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I also like Mike Richards more than him personally for his ability to change a game even without having to score.

I like Richards, but Bergeron is the better defensive player right now. Bergeron is a game-changer with his shut down ability (see B's vs Pens in the 2013 ECF), PKing, and RHed faceoff ability. Our other elite faceoff guys are LHed (Crosby, Toews). IMO all of this negates Richards' physical advantage, which is mitigated on the larger ice surface anyway.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I like Richards, but Bergeron is the better defensive player right now. Bergeron is a game-changer with his shut down ability (see B's vs Pens in the 2013 ECF), PKing, and RHed faceoff ability. Our other elite faceoff guys are LHed (Crosby, Toews). IMO all of this negates Richards' physical advantage, which is mitigated on the larger ice surface anyway.

Difference for me is Richard would play wing. My centres are Crosby, Stamkos or Tavares depending on ur top line, Toews, Getzlaf. Bergeron could maybe be the 13th fwd in my estimation.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Difference for me is Richard would play wing. My centres are Crosby, Stamkos or Tavares depending on ur top line, Toews, Getzlaf. Bergeron could maybe be the 13th fwd in my estimation.

I have him as my 13th forward too.

Bergeron would be able to slide over to the wing just as easily as Richards though. He's done so in the past at the World Championships (where he played with Crosby).

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I have it the same, and have Bergeron as my 13th forward as well. I was wavering on Bergeron based on his poor play in the 2010 Olympics, but i will cut him some slack since from all accounts he was injured then. Killing penalties and faceoffs- you need guys like Bergeron to play that role, and so he makes it on my team as my 13th forward.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
I have him as my 13th forward too.

Bergeron would be able to slide over to the wing just as easily as Richards though. He's done so in the past at the World Championships (where he played with Crosby).

Ya I just think one of his biggest assets and reasons for making the team would be his rh face ability so if he isn't taking draws id rather have others out there.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
Ya I just think one of his biggest assets and reasons for making the team would be his rh face ability so if he isn't taking draws id rather have others out there.

He can take faceoffs even if his nominally a winger. Put him (RHed) and Toews (LHed) together in defensive situations, let them take draws on their strong sides, and combined they'll win us ~75% of the draws and provide excellent defense.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
He can take faceoffs even if his nominally a winger. Put him (RHed) and Toews (LHed) together in defensive situations, let them take draws on their strong sides, and combined they'll win us ~75% of the draws and provide excellent defense.

Ya your right that would be a killer pk unit.

Tavares Crosby Neal
St. Louis Stamkos Giroux
Richards Toews Sharp
Duchene Getzlaf Perry
Bergeron

Take your pick who's in the press box

havefunbyfuglien*

Is Taylor Hall qualified to make this team as one of the nation's best natural LW?

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Bergeron did prove himself in the playoffs no doubt but when I look at his role on Canada heres my thought process. He is a defensive forward having a bad yr offensively. He won't be our no. 1 shut down guy as Toews will play that role. I have Getzlaf as my 4th line center and he is good defensively. While he is clutch I don't see him being put out there in big situations unless its a defensive face off and then he is off. Factor in he came in 2010 and wasn't barely used. He's a great player I just see a lot of reasons why he might not make it.

Ok...but he did have groin pull in 2010 and that was the reason he had limited time...I can't see Babcock not picking him again, but will see...

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
It may raise a lot of eyebrows, but I think two former Hawks that are getting no attention would fit Team Canada really well. Brian Campbell would bring a lot in terms of puck possession and power play. It irritates me to see Seabrook get consideration while Campbell doesn't. And I also like Andrew Ladd as a tough depth forward and PKer. I think he would fit the team perhaps better than Logan Couture, who often gets a lot of attention.

I'm not sure I would really put either player on my final roster, I just think they deserve more attention than they've gotten.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Is Taylor Hall qualified to make this team as one of the nation's best natural LW?

Canada's best LW, and fastest player overall. Playing over a PPG the past 3 years..hard to leave him off even if he has apparent defensive issues.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
It may raise a lot of eyebrows, but I think two former Hawks that are getting no attention would fit Team Canada really well. Brian Campbell would bring a lot in terms of puck possession and power play. It irritates me to see Seabrook get consideration while Campbell doesn't. And I also like Andrew Ladd as a tough depth forward and PKer. I think he would fit the team perhaps better than Logan Couture, who often gets a lot of attention.

I'm not sure I would really put either player on my final roster, I just think they deserve more attention than they've gotten.

I like both of these players too. Ladd to me can't be there because there are as we know so many great fwds. Now as for Campbell he is lucky enough to play a position Canada is a little week on if you can call it that. LD is not our strongest position and with names like Hamhuis and Vlasic being tossed around Im surprised no one has brought up Campbell especially with the way he skates.

As for Seabrook he is a beast and an amazing player, why don't you like him?

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
The thing is Canada has a history of taking as many natural centres and transitioning them to wing positions, since that's usually easy(ier) for them to do than wingers to move to centre. I expect no more than 3 or 4 natural wingers combined (Perry and St. Louis are likely the only lock wingers on the team right now, and Neal, Kunitz and Hall seem to be the only others in the conversation at all). I wouldn't be shocked if Hall is left off the team in favour of guys like Matt Duchene, Mike Richards, Logan Couture, Jonathan Toews, Patrick Sharp, Patrick Marleau, John Tavares and Steven Stamkos being moved to either wing. In fact, I'd almost guarantee it.

Weltsky

Sep 21, 2005
Calgary, Alberta
Last kick at the can:

St. Louis - Crosby - Stamkos
Sharp - Toews - Giroux
Marleau - Getzlaf - Perry
Tavares - Duchene - Couture
Bergeron
Benn

Keith - Seabrook
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
Vlasic - Weber
Doughty - Subban

Price
Luongo
Smith​

Man forward decisions get so tough. Would still like to see a Hall - Duchene - Couture line. But with the way Sharp has been playing, you can't leave him off this team. Couture has not played very well offensively lately, but I don't think you cna leave him off this team with his ability to play a 200 ft. game.

As far as defense goes, Seabrook should be on this team, him and Keith are 1,2 in scoring for Canadian defenceman, and their chemistry goes a long way.

Goalies are pretty much set in stone as far as I am concerned.

HjalmarFan

Jul 8, 2010
Villa Park, IL
I like both of these players too. Ladd to me can't be there because there are as we know so many great fwds. Now as for Campbell he is lucky enough to play a position Canada is a little week on if you can call it that. LD is not our strongest position and with names like Hamhuis and Vlasic being tossed around Im surprised no one has brought up Campbell especially with the way he skates.

As for Seabrook he is a beast and an amazing player, why don't you like him?

I do like Seabrook, but I think he's overrated. He likes giving up breakaways, he is a mediocre penalty killer, he's not a great skater. He plays a lot of minutes with those top forwards, so it's not reflected in his +/-, but I feel that the puck goes in the net too often as a result of him. At this point I think both Keith and Seabrook are bit overrated. Hjalmarsson and Oduya log tougher, better minutes, and that third pairing of Leddy and Rozsival is really good too. The Hawks are not the Keith and Seabrook show that they once were.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Hall-Toews-Sharp
Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry
Marleau-Couture-Bergeron
Carter, Nash

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Hamhuis is getting better and better and better, nearly played back to back 30 min games.

The guy seriously is ridiculously consistent.

What else do you need for a 7th d-man, A guy who barely makes mistakes, Skating is his BEST asset, can score or assist here and there, and is a puck mover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad