Olympics: 2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part X)

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

Neal and Stamkos can't be on the same line because they serve the same purpose. They literally do the exact same thing. Put Crosby and Neal together on the 1st line, and Stamkos and St Louis together on the 2nd line. That's assuming Stamkos will be ready to play

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
That would be my roster mainly for the round robin games.

What I mean to say to you is if you are bringing line mates its probably a good idea to play them together in such a short tournament. It would be fun to see how different combos might work you right, but unfortunately their aren't enough international games to work that out.

TurdFerguson

Jul 29, 2012
I wouldn't let Kuntiz or Neal anywhere near this this team based on their even strength play. If they make it, it has to be as the 13th and 14th forwards to play on the PP with Crosby. Crosby has 50% more ESP than Kunitz, which says their chemistry is far from special this year at even strength. PP is another story. Obviously Yzerman doesn't pick where each forward plays, but Babcock would quickly realize these guys shouldn't be playing together at even strength.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wouldn't let Kuntiz or Neal anywhere near this this team based on their even strength play. If they make it, it has to be as the 13th and 14th forwards to play on the PP with Crosby. Crosby has 50% more ESP than Kunitz, which says their chemistry is far from special this year at even strength. PP is another story. Obviously Yzerman doesn't pick where each forward plays, but Babcock would quickly realize these guys shouldn't be playing together at even strength.

The Crosby-Neal combo are just scratching the surface of what they can bring 5on5. You're right that Kunitz shouldn't be any where near this team though.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
What I mean to say to you is if you are bringing line mates its probably a good idea to play them together in such a short tournament. It would be fun to see how different combos might work you right, but unfortunately their aren't enough international games to work that out.

Yeah, I know. If you want chemistry, I would do this:

Tavares - Crosby - Neal
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
St.Louis - Giroux - Stamkos
Sharp - Toews - Nash
Couture
Bergeron

But I think chemistry is overrated here. Yes, I would try Stamkos with St.Louis, but I think Perry could be used with Crosby for example.

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
Yeah, I know. If you want chemistry, I would do this:

Tavares - Crosby - Neal
Duchene - Getzlaf - Perry
St.Louis - Giroux - Stamkos
Sharp - Toews - Nash
Couture
Bergeron

But I think chemistry is overrated here. Yes, I would try Stamkos with St.Louis, but I think Perry could be used with Crosby for example.

That was tried in 2010, and for my memory, it produced little to no offense ending in the two being split up.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
This Neal talk is getting a little out of hand. He put up one 5 point night, let's give it a rest. Imagine if it was an Olympic year when Gagner put up 8..

Neal is too slow and one dimensional to be playing on the Olympic team. There are better triggermen like Carter who can actually skate and play a 200 ft. game.

cameronrubel

Dec 30, 2013
This Neal talk is getting a little out of hand. He put up one 5 point night, let's give it a rest. Imagine if it was an Olympic year when Gagner put up 8..

Neal is too slow and one dimensional to be playing on the Olympic team. There are better triggermen like Carter who can actually skate and play a 200 ft. game.

Neal is leading the league in points per game. He's played two full seasons in the NHL ( one being his rookie year), and has a 40 goal season under his belt. Carter had one 40 goal season in his many more opportunities. If goals and points don't matter, then yea, count him out. but they do, so G'day!

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
Neal is leading the league in points per game. He's played two full seasons in the NHL ( one being his rookie year), and has a 40 goal season under his belt. Carter had one 40 goal season in his many more opportunities. If goals and points don't matter, then yea, count him out. but they do, so G'day!

If Neal is so dominant, why did he not get the attention before last night? Small sample size, people go all nuts over a single 5 point game. Neal has played half the games this season, not really comparable for PPG when the sample size is 20.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I'd love to hear TSN's (specifically, Bob MacKenzie's) thoughts on the last couple of weeks of action, and what their sources are telling them about Kunitz and Neal in particular. The last "projected" roster I saw the fellas from TSN present was on a Darren Dreger podcast (I believe), from a few weeks ago. As a note, I am not sure if these are Dreger's personal projections, or whether he was speaking on behalf of the TSN crew. And, take these with a grain of salt; they portray these projections as being sourced from insiders and those close to HC, but you never really know:

Forwards:
Couture - Crosby - Stamkos
Staal - Getzlaf - Perry
Benn - Toews - Nash
Marleau - Tavares - Carter
Kunitz, Giroux

Short-list:
- Duchene
- St. Louis
- Bergeron
- Sharp

Defence:
Keith - Doughty
Vlasic - Weber
Bouwmeester - Pietrangelo
??? - Suban

Short-list:
- Hamhuis
- Staal
- Boyle
- Seabrook

Goal:
- Price
- Luongo
- Smith

- Overall, the goaltender situation seems to be locked-down. I can't recall if any other candidates were mentioned, but you have to think that HC is still keeping their eye on Crawford and Bernier for that 3rd spot.

- On defence, Dreger has the top 7 spots locked-down, and seems inclined to think that HC is leaning towards Hamhuis for the 8th spot. Not a bad decision, IMO. LHed D-man, very reliable defensively, very good skater, 5 World Championships under his belt (so understands the game on the big ice), and someone that's not going to hurt us at all if he dresses as the 7th D-man for a few games. I don't think the D corps is controversial.

- Forwards: This is where things get more interesting. Dreger heavily alluded to this being the final short-list of 18 forwards. Note - Neal is absent; this list was put together during his recent suspension, shortly after his previous hot streak. Also absent is Taylor Hall. Personally I'm not a fan of this group of forwards, and would definitely like to see all four "bubble" players - Sharp, Duchene, St. Louis, and Bergeron - on the final roster, in replacement of Kunitz, Benn, Nash and Staal. I understand the case for Kunitz (but simply don't agree), and also understand the case for Nash and, to a lesser extent Staal. Both of those guys are seriously underperforming this year, but I realize there's a good chance of them being on the roster based on name recognition only. It reminds me quite a bit of 2006, but I digress. I also don't get the love for Benn. Really good player, but we have others who are more experienced, and better suited for the style of play on the international ice. We've heard Babcock speak about selecting players with strong resumes, and Benn would have by far the weakest resume of anyone in the forward group (0 NHL playoff games; 1 World Championships).

Re: Neal. He's a better hockey player than Kunitz and has a skill set that Team Canada can actually utilize (even if its only on the PP), but he has a track record of undisciplined and at times dirty play. I also haven't been a fan of his playoff performances the last two years - against Philly in 2012, and Boston in 2013. Those two aspects, particular the lack of discipline, are what concern me the most. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hockey Canada go in a different direction because of this, even with Neal being absolutely on fire running up to Jan. 7. He seems to have taken his game to a new level this year, so it will be interesting to see if Neal starts popping up on these projections.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Comparing Neal to Gagner is absurd.

Neal has more goals than Corey Perry the last 3 years. 88 to 81 right now in reg. season plus playoffs.

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
If Neal is so dominant, why did he not get the attention before last night? Small sample size, people go all nuts over a single 5 point game. Neal has played half the games this season, not really comparable for PPG when the sample size is 20.

Im not a penguins by any means, but have you not watched hockey in the past two seasons. He has been on of the most dominant Canadian goal scorers over the past two years.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Im not a penguins by any means, but have you not watched hockey in the past two seasons. He has been on of the most dominant Canadian goal scorers over the past two years.

Anyone not named Stamkos of course.

I'm just saying if TC have to take a winger that Sid is familiar with on this team, it should absolutely, positively, be James Neal and not Chris Kunitz.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Neal is absolutely getting a chance, IMO. He's just on a level that nobody can ignore.

Nobody knows if Stamkos is back right in time, and even if he is, what if he's not 100% ready? That could be another reason to take Neal, because he's almost as dangerous as Stamkos on a PP. And everybody knows that power-plays are important, so having another guy that can easily score in a PP can't be a bad choice. All in all, it depends on if Yzerman wants to bring Eric Staal and Nash, or even Benn or Hall, in that case, there is no much room for Neal in the lineup.

Crosby, Tavares, Perry, Getzlaf, St.Louis, Duchene, Stamkos, Couture, Toews, Giroux, Bergeron - my locks. Those three another players in my case are: Sharp, Neal, and Nash. Would be a bit surprised if both St.Louis and Duchene were out of the roster and E.Staal and Benn were in. But not disappointed.

penguins2946*

No, there were a lot of fans who were talking about him making team Canada befits last night. He's been exceptionally good all year. There's no reason for him not to make team Canada. Actually watch him, he's not just a 1 dimensional trigger man. It's not 2012 anymore.

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland
No, there were a lot of fans who were talking about him making team Canada befits last night. He's been exceptionally good all year. There's no reason for him not to make team Canada. Actually watch him, he's not just a 1 dimensional trigger man. It's not 2012 anymore.

I was referring to these speculations here, not much Neal, all Kunitz. And yes, I have actually watched him play, a lot. He plays well, but cannot be mentioned in the same sentence as Stamkos.

penguins2946*

I was referring to these speculations here, not much Neal, all Kunitz. And yes, I have actually watched him play, a lot. He plays well, but cannot be mentioned in the same sentence as Stamkos.

Well that's just false about not being close to Stamkos, because Neal is the 2nd best Canadian sniper in the league. He's right below Stamkos. If Stamkos can't play, he will make it. Even if he can, he probably will still make it.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Well that's just false about not being close to Stamkos, because Neal is the 2nd best Canadian sniper in the league. He's right below Stamkos. If Stamkos can't play, he will make it. Even if he can, he probably will still make it.

The second best Canadian sniper in the league is Sidney Crosby, I'd wager.

If TC is worrying about Sid's chemistry, or if Stamkos can't play, then I'd consider Neal. Otherwise, Neal isn't needed on this team.

McStimperi

Apr 6, 2012
Finland

Well, I respect your opinion, but declaring Neal the 2nd best Canadian sniper is a lot. Just sit back and relax. And watch him play more than these 20 games this season.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon

What? :laugh:

It's quite clear you don't watch many Pens games.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Almost forgot how horrible international officiating was. Anyone without Bergeron on the roster is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad