2013 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurfling

Sep 24, 2004
While I agree that Robson wasn't a great fit here, our central midfield is sadly lacking. We really need to pick up another player to play there. (unless I've missed a transaction, which is possible)

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
While I agree that Robson wasn't a great fit here, our central midfield is sadly lacking. We really need to pick up another player to play there. (unless I've missed a transaction, which is possible)

I think it's time to let Koffie shine. He's known as a holder and a ball winner but we've seen him lay off some beauties to Mattocks and I think he has definitely earned a shot.

If he gets that key role I could see him sticking around several more years rather than just the one more.

gurfling

Sep 24, 2004
I think it's time to let Koffie shine. He's known as a holder and a ball winner but we've seen him lay off some beauties to Mattocks and I think he has definitely earned a shot.

If he gets that key role I could see him sticking around several more years rather than just the one more.

I have no doubts that Koffie can stand up in the middle & be solid player on the ball, all I am saying is besides him, who else is there?

Looking at the roster we have Davidson & Watson but do we really want those 2 guys playing a lot of minutes, I'm not sure that we do. I just think we need 1 more quality guy in the centre to play with Koffie. I like our depth on the wings with a lot of quality youngsters, its in the middle I'm worried about.

gurfling

Sep 24, 2004
http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Caps+look+Japan+midfield+help/7857061/story.html
Hopefully Kobayashi works out in the midfield and there is a chance for the trialist Lensky to stick around with some of his european experience.

Caps also signed more forwards today leading to some belief that Salgado could expendable, possibly even being shopped around at this point

At least they are bringing in someone for the central midfield. Though I need to be convinced, a lot of these guys they bring in just don't cut it.

That would suprise me if they let Salgado go, from what I saw last year of him he showed some real promise & I have some high hopes this year for him. He showed that he can play out wide as well, so I think there's a spot for him.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
I wonder if Freddy Adu might make sense for us. Philadelphia wants to get rid of him and his contract. Yeah, he's an egomaniac who's never going to reach his potential, but he's also exactly what we need right now - a young, talented central midfielder who can set up Mattocks and Miller. If Rennie thinks he can keep him under control, it might work.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Caps waived Martin Bonjour today. He was pretty solid last year. I thought maybe we'd keep him for depth at CB but Demerit and Obrien are clearly the 2 starters so I guess he wanted more of a starting role.

JBIZ14

Nov 22, 2007
Lethbridge
Caps waived Martin Bonjour today. He was pretty solid last year. I thought maybe we'd keep him for depth at CB but Demerit and Obrien are clearly the 2 starters so I guess he wanted more of a starting role.
Apparently Brad Rusin has been really impressive in training which would make Bonjour expendable with he's high salary and international slot.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
You've got to be glad the cranky Robson is out of here. In spite of being often one of poorer players in the game, he never wavered in his berating of opponents, official and teammates. In many cases just seemed to give up and flaps his around in in a never ending tantrum.

Certainly one of the biggest disappointments in Vancouver sports history and certainly one of worst behaved. Thought the pre-Robson White Caps were better than a the team with Robson in the second half of the season.

Up to this point appears the team is again playing small ball in the acquisition of new players. Seem to be hoping some people can step up if given a chance. Would be great however if the team could come with an International player (particularly in the mid field) that has some proven credentials.

Really liked Bonjour but somehow seemed to fall out of favor with Rennie. Might have been better to have moved him late in the season to get something back. Could, however, make the case that they needed some depth on the backend in any sort of playoff run.

metric

May 6, 2010
Whitecaps beat New England 4-1 in their first preseason friendly. Mattocks had a hattrick in 15 minutes. Miller finished it with a PK.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
Whitecaps won 2-1 in a preseason game against Huston today. Played with two separate squads in each half and I thought I'd share some of the standouts.

YP Lee: No surprise he was SO much better than ANYONE else. Looked like he was playing against boys.

Mattocks/Hurtado/Manneh/Camilo: the first half these guys were together and Mattocks looked the least threatening (despite the goal). Camio, who usually has those games where he can beat defenders then take a bad shot decided to go playmaker today and had a couple nice set ups (one lead to the Mattocks goal). He looked really good as a roamer. Hurtado looked really threatening down the right wing with his pace and Manneh the same. Both our rookies looked great on the ball. Manneh's temper did shine through a couple times though.

Kobe: Didn't have much to work with in the second half and didn't get a TON of touches but you could see the quality he has on the ball. Had a couple nice looking set pieces as well.

Rusin: Can't really comment on his actual ability but he's an imposing presence out there. Omar Gonzalez is 6' 5" 205 and Brad looks just as intimidating at 6' 4" 215. For comparison that's bigger than Kassian in a sport where the average height and weight of a player is far less than hockey..

Paolo Jr: It's just one game but he looks like a guy that would have competed for a spot on the 2011 Whitecaps. Provided very little from the left flank. Got subbed half way through the 2nd half and immediately Evan James looked SO much better in comparison.

The other regular starters (Knighton, Cannon, DeMerit, Rochat, Koffie) all looked good as one would expect.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
Excited about Kobe this year. Think we still need a little bit more creativity in midfield though. Hoping it comes via trade.

gurfling

Sep 24, 2004
Excited about Kobe this year. Think we still need a little bit more creativity in midfield though. Hoping it comes via trade.

Yeah, agreed. On the wings, I don't think there are problems, but centrally, we definitely need some more there.

Eastside

Mar 8, 2012
Vancouver Island
Purchased my season opener tickets today. Went to the opening game last year and it was a blast. Great atmosphere for a fraction of the cost of Canucks' games.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about Kobayashi after some pre season footage and camp reports. I recall there being a rumour about Chiumento possibly coming back? That would be nice.

Seems like Rennie is really focusing on building a fast team. The two draft picks can both apparently fly. Should make for some exciting games at the very least.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC

I think he's got enough technical ability and creativity to suffice (not that I can judge too much from the 45 minutes of soccer I've seen him play...). I think Rinnie pretty much as every position covered with decent depth behind. If we make any further moves it will be to make a clear upgrade on a position (which is awesome!)

Purchased my season opener tickets today. Went to the opening game last year and it was a blast. Great atmosphere for a fraction of the cost of Canucks' games.

Anyway, I'm cautiously optimistic about Kobayashi after some pre season footage and camp reports. I recall there being a rumour about Chiumento possibly coming back? That would be nice.

Seems like Rennie is really focusing on building a fast team. The two draft picks can both apparently fly. Should make for some exciting games at the very least.

Davidé possible return fell through. It's too bad because he was a good player and a treat to watch, that being said he wasn't a perfect match for MLS. Also, from what I've heard over the last year is that Rinnie (when he's had success at every level he's been at) has built teams that were big at the back and fast at the front.

Expect some noise on Tuesday... a group of Southsiders will be in the upper bowl of Rogers arena.

HAH, I decided to watch the Davis Cup match on TV and all I heard was Whitecaps chants :laugh:

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
D'oh! Any season's tickets holders sign up for the meet & greet with the team and the staff?

I only saw the e-mail yesterday (it was from the beginning of February) and, when I tried to register, I ended up on the wait list.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some recent game highlights here:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/

See opening lineup as follows

Back line: Lee O'Brein DeMerit Roachat (subs Rusin, Harvery, Mitchell)

Mid Field: Coker Kobtashi Camilo Koffee (subs Watson, Paulo, Tiebert, Davidson)

Forwards: Miller Mattocks (subs Manneh, Salgado, Hertzog, Clarke, Hurado)

Goal: Knighton - Cannon

Maybe some other opinions here. Team seems to have a lot more depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad