2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserker*

While I loved watching Sedin get slapped around like that, the reality is he (and the team) was trying to be disciplined and not retaliate so they could draw a penalty. The problem being that the refs had grown tired of Vancouvers attempts to draw penalties and just let anything go that wasn't dangerous.

It was a failed strategy more than anything else imo.

Understandable, but there is a point where you need to stand up for yourself. When your star player is getting bullied like that and he nor anyone on your teams does anything, you look like cowards and the team tends to get defeated mentally.

Look what happened to Lattendresse in the playoffs. We were losing to the Habs and at the end of the game he was getting bullied by Ryan White and didn't do anything. Paul MacLean ended up scratching him because of that.

It reflects very poorly on your team and on individual players when they don't stand up for themselves and their teammates.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Understandable, but there is a point where you need to stand up for yourself. When your star player is getting bullied like that and he nor anyone on your teams does anything, you look like cowards and the team tends to get defeated mentally.

Look what happened to Lattendresse in the playoffs. We were losing to the Habs and at the end of the game he was getting bullied by Ryan White and didn't do anything. Paul MacLean ended up scratching him because of that.

It reflects very poorly on your team and on individual players when they don't stand up for themselves and their teammates.

Oh, I agree, as I said, it was a failed strategy. Had he drawn the penalty and they scored though, maybe things work out differently. Truth is, had that happened, we might be talking about how stupid and undisciplined Marchand was.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

Ex Karlsson to boyle to Carkner

Ron Jeremy

The Carkner mauling of Boyle changed the momentum of the series and we almost ended up winning against a far superior team. Toughness and sticking up for a team mate wins championships not pacified sissies trying to draw penalties,

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
The Carkner mauling of Boyle changed the momentum of the series and we almost ended up winning against a far superior team. Toughness and sticking up for a team mate wins championships not pacified sissies trying to draw penalties,

But wait, Corsii numbers show that toughness does not matter! :sarcasm:

Yeah, the intangibles are what win championships year after year. I will always have a soft spot for Carkner for taking care of business like that. Yeah, he drew a penalty but whatever. You rough up our star player and you eat supper through a straw for the next month. Period.

One M0RE YEAR

Jun 5, 2013
what we should do is trade spezza to the ducks for our 1st rd pick back as well as a prospect. then we could offer sheet stepan and have a legit 1st line C !:naughty:

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Injured players cost double...swap Spezza for RNH

Who knows how many years Spezza has left? He's old and broken down physically. Will he ever even play another full season? With RNH, you literally get an extra 10 years of that 1st line centre calibre player.

I agree with this logic, choosing younger RNH over Spezza. Spezza's back is very likely to break down again, so if he plays only half a season we are effectively paying double for him on a per-game-played basis. Same for Michalek. I would trade them both for more durable assets who are more apt to play the full season.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
If we are talking about fantasy. I want Spezza to be perfectly healthy for next 6-7 years.
True dat.

We lost two players who could calmly hold the puck in Gonchar and Alfie, now we have only Karlsson and Spezza left. I wonder if Ryan can do that, but I'm guessing not. Perhaps Wiercioch?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
True dat.

We lost two players who could calmly hold the puck in Gonchar and Alfie, now we have only Karlsson and Spezza left. I wonder if Ryan can do that, but I'm guessing not. Perhaps Wiercioch?

Wiercioch, Turris, Zibanejad, MacArthur all have that potential IMO

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Oh, I agree, as I said, it was a failed strategy. Had he drawn the penalty and they scored though, maybe things work out differently. Truth is, had that happened, we might be talking about how stupid and undisciplined Marchand was.

We only have to go back to the JM days when Toronto was pushing Ottawa around to know thast what Bruiser says is true. If you don't respond the team is already beaten mentally & Quinn knew that & JM thought otherwise & lost because of it several times in the playoffs to an inferior team in the Leafs.

Which is why I prefer Maclean as coach over JM who wanted his players to ignore it & everyone in the league knew it & tried to bully them because of it. I felt sorry for Chris Neil in those days, it made his job that much tougher.

I don't. Spezza at his age and experience and stage and everything right now is perfect.

If we are talking about fantasy. I want Spezza to be perfectly healthy for next 6-7 years.

On this we can agree, now is not the time to talk about trading Spezza as he is in his prime & should be able to produce if he can stay healthy. Of course, if he can't produce or gets injured again then maybe we start talking about it closer to the trade deadline. We have seen that this is still a pretty good team without Spezza & if we could add another much younger Bobby Ryan by trading Spezza, than it's something to think about. Ottawa is deep down the middle now but I would only consider trading Spezza at the deadline as I said if he was hurt or not producing to his potential. Personally, though I think he has another good year, especially if he is made Captain.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario

I don't think that was a good example of team toughness. Boyle went after Karlssson with 5 minutes left in the first period of game 1, he paid for it 48 hours later 2 minutes into game 2. The Sens were even down 4-0 in game 1 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd and their was no response until Konopka and Carkner were inserted into the lineup for game 2.

Then 10 minutes into the 2nd period of game 2 Hagelin elbows Alfredsson in the head putting Alfie out of the lineup for 3 games. Hagelin also is supended for 3 games returns for games 6 and 7 to no response from the Sens.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I don't think that was a good example of team toughness. Boyle went after Karlssson with 5 minutes left in the first period of game 1, he paid for it 48 hours later 2 minutes into game 2. The Sens were even down 4-0 in game 1 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd and their was no response until Konopka and Carkner were inserted into the lineup for game 2.

Then 10 minutes into the 2nd period of game 2 Hagelin elbows Alfredsson in the head putting Alfie out of the lineup for 3 games. Hagelin also is supended for 3 games returns for games 6 and 7 to no response from the Sens.

im pretty sure that was because after the carkner response in game 2, the sens were warned by the league to stick to playing hockey and not to be after their own revenge on hagelin especially since he was suspended by the league already. Also i doubt Maclean wanted the Sens to respond in game 6 when we had a chance to win the series or in game 7 when the series was on the line

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
im pretty sure that was because after the carkner response in game 2, the sens were warned by the league to stick to playing hockey and not to be after their own revenge on hagelin especially since he was suspended by the league already. Also i doubt Maclean wanted the Sens to respond in game 6 when we had a chance to win the series or in game 7 when the series was on the line

And the Sens faced Hagelin 3 more times last season with no response.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

With the way the refs were calling that Game 6 - I don't think we even would have had a chance to get near Hagelin without a whistle blown in favour of the Rangers.

And going after someone in the next season is just cold. Too much gone on since then, water under the bridge type thing.

Sonny Lamateena

Nov 2, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
With the way the refs were calling that Game 6 - I don't think we even would have had a chance to get near Hagelin without a whistle blown in favour of the Rangers.

And going after someone in the next season is just cold. Too much gone on since then, water under the bridge type thing.

I don't know, I've heard it said when a player gets a penalty defending a teammate those are the penalties the players love to kill, it unites and fires up the team.

I guess I just grew up during a different time. In my opinion when an opponent roughs up your star player you don't wait a game until you can add some goons to the lineup, you make him pay immediately (even if it's a 50 goal scorer dealing out the receipt).

And if a opponent injures one of your players and he get's suspended like Matt Johnson did for 12 games when he sucker punched Jeff Beukeboom in the back of the head, you make him answer the first chance you get like Darren Langdon did in the first minute of the first game they played against him the following season even though Johnson had switched teams.

Maybe the Sens will be a more united team now under new leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad