Speculation: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Z and Pageu are nice players but we are really relying on a lot if youth...

It's the only thing I will address because time is precious but we aren't really relying on youth that much

Top-9 forwards :

Jason Spezza (30 y/o)
Bobby Ryan (26 y/o)
Kyle Turris (soon 24 y/o)
Milan Michalek (28 y/o)
Clarke MacArthur (28 y/o)
Mika Zibanejad (20 y/o)
Cory Conacher (23 y/o)
Colin Greening (27 y/o)
Jean-Gabriel Pageau (20 y/o)

Top-7 D-men :

Erik Karlsson (23 y/o)
Marc Methot (28 y/o)
Jared Cowen (22 y/o)
Chris Phillips (35 y/o)
Joe Corvo (36 y/o)
Patrick Wiercioch (soon 23 y/o)
Eric Gryba (25 y/o)

N.1 Goalie :

Craig Anderson (32 y/o)

Our youngest "important" fowards are Turris (soon 24, breaking out, shown that he is able to play a very important role), Zibanejad (young but 6th overall with a really fast development curve), Conacher (23 but proven as a pro) and Pageau (very young but his game is mature). We're not asking them (outside of Turris) to be our best forwards, but more like our 6th-9th best forwards...

On defense, we have Erik Karlsson who is young but who cares? He is already a top player in the NHL. Jared Cowen is still young but already has some experience and shown that he can carry a top-4 load easily (was a 9th overall pick, could have went higher if no injury in his draft year). Wiercioch and Gryba are somewhat young (23 and 25) but we're asking them to be our 6th/7th D-men...

Anderson is a veteran

In summary, most of our important are already veterans and the young guys we are relying on are Elite (Karlsson) or very very good (Turris, Zibanejad, Pageau, Conacher, Cowen and Wiercioch)

Most fanbases would look at our line-up and would be ecstatic because it has present and future.

And it doesn't take in account our top-30 of prospects, which is ultra-loaded

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Btw, for anyone looking for a good read on the Leafs' offseason moves, this is one of the greatest blog entries ever. Even the Leafs fans in the comments are jealous of what Ottawa has been able to do.

Leaf fans trashing the leafs + leaf fans in awe of the sens.

tumblr_man7f4MWCI1qbl3rro1_400.png

Its perfect.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
^^^

This. Those defenceman are all pretty bad.

I thought everyone wanted Hainsey or Gilbert like two weeks ago.

And although I say defence is more of a question mark, we could definitely use another winger, especially when you factor in injuries. Add an over-the-top guy at the deadline and we're looking pretty good.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It seems to me like you're simultaneously projecting the worst-case scenarios for Ottawa and the best-case scenarios for Toronto... and I'm STILL not convinced that Toronto is better.

This is exactly what I've been trying to say in a nutshell.

And it could be argued that with the addition of Clarkson that Toronto is a lot tougher & much more intimidating than Ottawa especially if we dress Pageau, Conacher & Condra in games against them. I assume that Kassian will replace one of them when Ottawa plays TML.

You mentioned arguably the 3 worst players to be bullied.

Condra has been consistent in his games regardless of what teams we've been facing. In fact, his best games have come against Boston and more physical teams where our other forwards can't handle it. Pageau and Conacher are gritty and fast guys who also love playing against more physical teams because they use their speed and IQ to beat em.

New Jersey fans are so confident that Clarkson is the stupidest player in the NHL who does absolutely nothing if he isn't scoring or hitting average players.

LOL, that is a dream rather than an intimidation.

I'd be more concerned about Kadri who can hit and is skilled.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is exactly what I've been trying to say in a nutshell.

You mentioned arguably the 3 worst players to be bullied.

Condra has been consistent in his games regardless of what teams we've been facing. In fact, his best games have come against Boston and more physical teams where our other forwards can't handle it. Pageau and Conacher are gritty and fast guys who also love playing against more physical teams because they use their speed and IQ to beat em.

New Jersey fans are so confident that Clarkson is the stupidest player in the NHL who does absolutely nothing if he isn't scoring or hitting average players.

LOL, that is a dream rather than an intimidation.

I'd be more concerned about Kadri who can hit and is skilled.

Maybe Conacher can go after Kadri then? :laugh:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Being a good #2 isn't exclusively about putting up points, although it certainly helps. As Smeddy just showed though, Turris drives possession. He creates chances. He draws penalties. And, despite the occasional cold stretch, he does put up points. On this team where we've been dying for an effective #2C since Fisher left (and for a #2C who could put up points since even before him,) I don't think you can ask for much more from your second-line pivot.

I respectfully disagree, and also hopeful that he does improve. I find he lacks muscle and guts. He was asked to play a lot of quality minutes last year and drew the tougher opposing lines. This year he will have a chance to show that he belongs there IMO. If he continues to improve and grow stronger great! Teams that have won have been historically strong down the middle. I agree we have been looking for a 2nd line Centre a long time. Fisher was better in all areas accept finish (giving Turris some thing); and he arguably is a great 3rd Line Center on a good team. He will be asked and pushed to be better, and more consistent this year. I hope he shows he belongs; He won't get a better opportunity and more given to him than the Sens have.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Exactly, In fact I see that as the plan. Having Conacher on the top line just because he plays a fast and smart game with hockey skills but is also a pest who can bug the other team's better players. Kind of like Marchand in Boston.

Conacher is no where near Marchand... other than perhaps height

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig