Speculation: 2013 Offseason: UFAs, Trades, What's Next? | Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Old thread went over the limit, continue here.

[MOD]
The previous thread (Part VI) can be found here.

--------------------

I'd still love to sign Mueller, regardless of his past... We signed Lats didn't we, we knew exactly what we'd get from him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
People were talking about Brenden Morrow in the last thread... not gonna lie but I thought about him.. mostly to fill some of the veteran leadership void and he can still be productive on the 3rd line... I would envision a line like... Morrow - Z.Smith - Neil/Greening

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
People were talking about Brenden Morrow in the last thread... not gonna lie but I thought about him.. mostly to fill some of the veteran leadership void and he can still be productive on the 3rd line... I would envision a line like... Morrow - Z.Smith - Neil/Greening

He would be expensive (for Ottawa), and has regressed considerably. I think it is clear Murray and Mac want to get faster, not slower.

He would bring grit and leadership which you can never have enough of, but also has a history of injuries due to his style of play. If there was no self imposed cap, I would say sure, but I think what we have now is basically what we will start the season with. Corvo was our big move.:sarcasm:

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
He would be expensive (for Ottawa), and has regressed considerably. I think it is clear Murray and Mac want to get faster, not slower.

He would bring grit and leadership which you can never have enough of, but also has a history of injuries due to his style of play. If there was no self imposed cap, I would say sure, but I think what we have now is basically what we will start the season with. Corvo was our big move.:sarcasm:

He made 4.1mil on his last contract and as you've said he's regressed because of his still of play.. I think we could still get him at around 3mil like MacArthur perhaps even a tad under.

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
I look at the Hawks as being the best team in the league. Speed, skill, size and experience. We're starting to have all the right parts. Elite #1 C, #1D and #1 G. Now now to complement with depth. Would love to model us around Chicago. Unfortunately that'll require $$$. Not sure if EM is willing to spend to cap.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The big thing I have against signing Morrow is that we've already got too many forwards. Internal competition is nice, but as it stands it looks like we'll be scratching anywhere between two and four NHL players because there's no room on the roster.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
The big thing I have against signing Morrow is that we've already got too many forwards. Internal competition is nice, but as it stands it looks like we'll be scratching anywhere between two and four NHL players because there's no room on the roster.

Agree with this. I don't want to bump our younger players.

Spezza
Ryan
Michalek
Turris
MacArthur
Smith
Greening
Condra
Neil
Conacher
Zibanejad

That's 11 guys I absolutely don't want to bump for an aging vet.

Then there's a group of guys like Stone, Pageau & Hoffman that I'd rather give a shot to over Morrow.

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Id rather not add somebody for "veteran leadership"... Weve got Phillips, Neil, Spezza, Methot for that... I want the younger guys to grow into those roles... Another NHL body isnt what we really need...

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
No old and slow guys. Either sign Mueller or Brunner. If not, then we can just try Conacher, Greening and Zibanejab on our top six. Hope Lazar and Prince also get a few looks with the big club.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Agree with this. I don't want to bump our younger players.

Spezza
Ryan
Michalek
Turris
MacArthur
Smith
Greening
Condra
Neil
Conacher
Zibanejad

That's 11 guys I absolutely don't want to bump for an aging vet.

Then there's a group of guys like Stone, Pageau & Hoffman that I'd rather give a shot to over Morrow.

This. I don't want a broken Mueller who couldn't even stick in Floreda. Morrow is not worth the price. Brunner is not bad, but I'd rather have Pageau, Stone or Hoffman over him. We need to see what the kids can do.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The only reason I want the Sens to sign Jagr is so that Jagr can say at his press conference: "I felt like Ottawa was my best chance at winning the cup one more time before I retire". Just to stick it to Alfie.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
IMO BM is done signing UFAs, he got the good young forward he wanted in MacArthur. Then he made that huge trade to replace Alfie with Ryan & signed the veteran defenceman he wanted in Corvo. Now I imagine he will wait until training camp to see who steps up & what he has in Ottawa. He will keep an eye on Bingo next season to see who will rise to the top down there & play really well. I assume that he will probably make a trade or two during the yr, maybe not so much to acquire a player but more so to make room for a couple of Bingo players like Stone & Robinson. Of course, he still has a lot of assets to work with should he want to bring in another top 6 forward or top 4 defenceman. We'll see but they look like they are in very good shape right now anyways. :handclap:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Who do you guys want as your next captain?

The Leafs waited a season or 2 before naming one after Mats, do you feel the same may be done in Ottawa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad