Speculation: 2013 NHL Trade Deadline Thread (CBJ deadline discussion here)

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
As we talk about the "cultural change" in the CBJ locker room, I wonder if, long term, Howsons' best move as CBJ GM will be viewed as the Nash trade. I do think the removal of Nash and the acquisition of Dubi and AA has player a major part in the locker room revival. Indeed with the "captaincy" empty right now, it allows several different players to step up and share their own grit and determination with the rest of the locker room.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Dubinsky not for sale.

Umberger for a 2nd and a good forward prospect

Brassard for a good forward prospect

Fair enough on Dubinsky.

For the other two- we have no good forward prospects outside of a guy we are not going to trade (Bennett). We have some prospects who are long shots/far away, but nobody really "good".

Umberger would probably be something like the Pens 1st with the Jackets paying some salary. Though knowing Shero he could get him for less. Brassard is probably a second + a prospect though with 87-71-16 down the middle I doubt the Pens give Brass a look. Dubi would frankly cost an arm and a leg, way more than he is actually worth. Likely a first round pick and one of the stable of young D-men like Maata or Beau Bennett.

I think Umberger to the Pens makes alot of sense, except for Umby's cap hit. Alongside Crosby Umby likely outproduces both Kunitz and Dupuis, but the cap hit could result in some issues for the Pens in the near future. I could maybe see Tyler Kennedy and a second for Umby. (Clear 2 million+ in cap for Umby going forward and you get something for a player that is likely to be let go in the offseason)

Yeah... A first in a deep draft seems high for a guy who has 7 points this year.

Now, Kennedy plus a second- I would do it in a heartbeat, especially if you can take some of the cap hit in the later couple years. We have Malkin and Letang to re-sign, Umby's over 4 million dollar contract will make that more difficult.

Umberger or Brassard is probably worth the 1st-rounder, with something minor on either side for balance.

Pittsburgh winning the Atlantic would probably slot the 1st somewhere in the 22-26 range.

I doubt a first happens (for either player), but thanks for your opinions guys.

As for the JJ rumors- I will kick a puppy if that is the trade.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
As we talk about the "cultural change" in the CBJ locker room, I wonder if, long term, Howsons' best move as CBJ GM will be viewed as the Nash trade. I do think the removal of Nash and the acquisition of Dubi and AA has player a major part in the locker room revival. Indeed with the "captaincy" empty right now, it allows several different players to step up and share their own grit and determination with the rest of the locker room.

I think so. I really wish they would have broached this topic maybe 2 seasons ago with Nash. A small part of it was addition by subtraction. Rick Nash the player was not the problem. Rick Nash the "franchise cornerstone" Rick Nash's contract, and Rick Nash the Captain were the problems. Like I said before the season with Dubinsky and Anisimov, they may be 3rd liners on deeper teams, but they are bona fide top six here, at least for now. And I was a bit leery with Erixon before the season simply because of what I heard about his exit from Calgary. But man, He looks like a top four guy right now. Solid if unspectactular.

Finnpin

"internet"
Oct 10, 2005
Helsinki
I don't expect any major moves unless somebody is willing to really overpay and JK/JD just can't say no.

Hey and I don't know nothing about the owners of the CBJ...can somebody give a short info about the owner(s)?

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Including if they like the core and only see some minor tinkering necessary because they do not see the roster as a 'pitiful mess'?

If they like what is here, then so be it. I would be quite surprised if that is the case. I would think major overhaul would probably be more likely their view as opposed to minor tinkering. In fact, I'd place some good $$ on that:)

This roster could reasonably be considered to be devoid of any top 6 forwards. Its defense is, at best, ordinary and its goaltending would have to be classified as poor. There are no "can't miss" prospects on the farm. The team is dead last in the league this year. They were dead last this year. As such, 'pitiful mess' would probably qualify as a reasonable description of the roster in its current form.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
I don't expect any major moves unless somebody is willing to really overpay and JK/JD just can't say no.

Hey and I don't know nothing about the owners of the CBJ...can somebody give a short info about the owner(s)?

John H. McConnell (deceased) was the majority owner from the franchise's inception until his death in April of 2008. He was the Founder of Worthington Industries (Big Steel, Columbus-based) He was a big time philantropist and was well liked in the community, despite not being a native of the city (He was from West Virigina). He wrote a personal check for 80 mil for the organization to the NHL when the funding proposal for a downtown arena failed a vote.

His son, John P. McConnell has been the majority owner since then, but owns a significant lesser amount of majority share than his father did as minority ownerships are come aboard and dropped out since "Mr. Mac's" death.

The team has been very fortunate that local ownership has stood firm and the Arena restructuring deal went through without significant red tape or hurdles. Despite my personal feelings on if ownership has been as "Engaged or hands on" as I would like, they've shown incredible resislentancy to maintain the team here for the forseeable future.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

If we're entertaining the notion that Jarmo might trade JMFJ, then why would we assume that AA and Dubi are not also potentially on the move?

If they like what is here, then so be it. I would be quite surprised if that is the case. I would think major overhaul would probably be more likely their view as opposed to minor tinkering. In fact, I'd place some good $$ on that:)

This roster could reasonably be considered to be devoid of any top 6 forwards. Its defense is, at best, ordinary and its goaltending would have to be classified as poor. There are no "can't miss" prospects on the farm. The team is dead last in the league this year. They were dead last this year. As such, 'pitiful mess' would probably qualify as a reasonable description of the roster in its current form.

You don't need to rehash all those arguments. I know what they are and I've made some of them myself.

I'm just suspect of the recent rend of projection among many posters that they have any inclination at all what new management is up to.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
And Jarmo plans on sucking for the next 2-4 years? Relying on youth hasn't been working exactly for the Oilers. Already the Jackets are the youngest team in the league.

Dumping salary is one thing if the team simply can't afford it. But just having a massive firesale and getting rid of Umby, Brass, Tyutin, Prospal, Letestu for whatever he can get for them when those guy account for what little offense there is because Jarmo wants to start from scratch with 2nd and 3rd round picks isn't exactly going to win a lot of fans in Columbus.

Honestly, the team needs to win sooner rather than later. I don't think fans expect a playoff contender, but they expect progress.

The Jackets haven't played that badly lately. If Jarmo takes the approach that he's not going to part with Umby or Brass unless the price is right and if he goes into next season with them that's fantastic, then maybe some team is willing to make an offer.

Getting rid of the players who are contributing nothing like Boll is find or prospects that aren't part of the long term plans - say Savard if Jarmo isn't a fan. But what team is going to give up much for Boll? But blowing up the team for whatever scraps they can get into going to help ticket sales next season.

Where did I say that? It is easy to find replacements for a year or 2. Plus we have some guys who are ready to make the move up to the NHL. I don't know why some of you think trading a few players is so bad. We are in last place with these guys. They aren't the answer. We need to make moves to bring in more talent.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
As such, 'pitiful mess' would probably qualify as a reasonable description of the roster in its current form.

And, yet, it isn't a reasonable description. You can't take an extremist view at every corner and expect reasonable at the destination.

As for this thread. Not sure what to make of it yet, there really aren't any rumors of anything at this point. We can try and speculate on who might get moved, but I really don't have any history with JK to even hazard a guess.

The defense has created some interesting problems. The defense really hasn't dropped off with the injuries as they are. Of course it hasn't been that long either. But to this point it doesn't speak well to the other d-men and makes the situation a bit foggy.

I don't expect any big moves at forward, leaving that is, unless Brassard moves.

I'll have more of an opinion as we get closer to the deadline.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I think the deals have to be made with a 2-4 or 5 year outlook. Also need to consider redundancy of players. CAM,Jam,Calvert similar players-Do we need all 3 for the long term? We have some D depth. If we can move some for a decent return then fine. Letestu is a UFA. Are we really going to resign him?Brass & Umbie, I don't see fitting, although Umbie has the NTC so we may be stuck. Without moving some players, we are going to have the same team next year-Is that what you or other fans want? To get good assets we are going to have to give something. Maybe moving a guy for a 2nd at the deadline helps facilitate a better trade down the road. I would like to think that JD & JK are smart enough to look at things collectively and not just consider ay proposed deal in a vacuum.

Exactly. For example, an extra 2nd may be what we need to move up in the draft to get the player we really want.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Would depend entirely on the return for me. I love JMFJ, but if we could get a king's ransom for him I could back the front office's play. (pardon the pun). JMFJ has been excellent for us and he is on an outstanding contract, but he hasn't been a norris candidate. I think alot of the love for him is that he was actually excited to come to the franchise during the lowest point in its short history. JMFJ's optimism was "the light in the darkness" during the Carter and Nash fiascos.

I agree. I would love to keep him, but I am okay if we trade him. We have very few players/prospects I would be upset about if we traded them.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Adam Gretz also tweeted that, on top of Kekelainen, Davidson and Patrick were also in attendance last night in Pittsburgh... Not to send us all into a panic, DET and COL also had people in attendance, apparently.

Its important to remember, despite the overall feeling of who's helping really lead the charge to change the culture here on the ice, none of these guys were acquired by the current regime. I'd be sad to see JJ or Prospal leave, but its business....

Also, those guys were needed to change the culture for 2 reasons. It was bad and we weren't drafting or bringing in guys to change it. I think the culture is good enough now that we can trade/move a few. We just need to continue to draft and bring in the right people. I think we will with JD and JK.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
If we're entertaining the notion that Jarmo might trade JMFJ, then why would we assume that AA and Dubi are not also potentially on the move?

Anything is possible, heck, we dont know what they are thinking, But since we have alot of young defenseman that are showing they can perform in the Nhl, we obviously have much more depth to move a defenseman, rather than AA or Dubi. Also, I think JD singled out AA & Dubi as a huge part of changing the culture. As for Jack Johnson, man it would be hard to move someone like him that embraces the midwest, and is a pretty capable Dman, that is still really young. Only way this would happen I think is if quality young forwards are coming back, maybe package a Umberger and Jack Johnson for ? But man, we really dont know what we have in Ryan Murray yet, yes by all accounts he would be on the team this year had it not been for his injury, but maybe JD & Jarmo are seeing how well all of our other young guys are playing in the NHL. Even Prout has looked really good. Just speculation, most likely just informal conversations as Jarmo is seeing what may be out there once our sell off begins, but thats what message boards are for.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Disavowing Prospal's "gentlemen's agreement" and trading Johnson less than a year after bringing him in may not send the kind of message to players around the league that JD and GMJK want received. Columbus has a good rep, I understand, as a place to raise a hockey family. Might our new leadership be reluctant to damage that with what might be seen as very cold, business-like decisions? Especially to well-respected vets like Vinny and JJ? Just a thought, since we really have no idea what the boys at the top have in mind.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

Anything is possible, heck, we dont know what they are thinking, But since we have alot of young defenseman that are showing they can perform in the Nhl, we obviously have much more depth to move a defenseman, rather than AA or Dubi. Also, I think JD singled out AA & Dubi as a huge part of changing the culture. As for Jack Johnson, man it would be hard to move someone like him that embraces the midwest, and is a pretty capable Dman, that is still really young. Only way this would happen I think is if quality young forwards are coming back, maybe package a Umberger and Jack Johnson for ? But man, we really dont know what we have in Ryan Murray yet, yes by all accounts he would be on the team this year had it not been for his injury, but maybe JD & Jarmo are seeing how well all of our other young guys are playing in the NHL. Even Prout has looked really good. Just speculation, most likely just informal conversations as Jarmo is seeing what may be out there once our sell off begins, but thats what message boards are for.

Also, we seem to have a lot of similar defensemen. Maybe they want to trade one or two and bring in a different type of defenseman to pair with our offensive defensemen.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Disavowing Prospal's "gentlemen's agreement" and trading Johnson less than a year after bringing him in may not send the kind of message to players around the league that JD and GMJK want received. Columbus has a good rep, I understand, as a place to raise a hockey family. Might our new leadership be reluctant to damage that with what might be seen as very cold, business-like decisions? Especially to well-respected vets like Vinny and JJ? Just a thought, since we really have no idea what the boys at the top have in mind.

I don't think players around the NHL care if someone is traded from another team. It happens all of the time. Maybe they will look at it and think, hey, Columbus is doing whatever they can to become a winner.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Where did I say that? It is easy to find replacements for a year or 2. Plus we have some guys who are ready to make the move up to the NHL. I don't know why some of you think trading a few players is so bad. We are in last place with these guys. They aren't the answer. We need to make moves to bring in more talent.

Trading Umby and Brass right now isn't going to return immediate talent. It's likely 2nd or 3rd round draft picks. Or maybe he takes a risk on players who need a change of scenery or prospects that teams are willing to part with. Maybe Jack Johnson has value more, but he's injured. Nikitin may have played his way out since he can be replaced with Erixon or Goloubef, but he's not going to return immediately 1st line help.

Umby is good for 20 goals a year. He's not a 1st line guy and he's overpaid. He's not going to create offense all by himself, but he's better than what they likely could get for him. Maybe a line of Umby - MacKinnon - Brass would be more effective with more talent, and some somewhat talented more veteran players with a rookie.

Umby's value is pretty low right now. What is the chance next season he turns things around? Do they sell low or wait to see if his value increases if he's playing better? Or if he can actually help contribute to the team.

Trading for bonafide 1st line players isn't going to happen. If the Jackets want young players like Johansen and hopefully MacKinnon/Drouin/Monahan/Barkov to be successful and develop into the 1st line talent they need, they need to surround them with some veteran players. I'd rather that be Umby than whatever 4th liner the Pens are willing to trade for him or a 2nd round draft pick or whatever free agent is willing to sign for an exorbitant price.

Maybe the bidding goes crazy and teams start parting with huge prospects to get an advantage in the playoffs. But Jarmo needs to play this cool and not:

tumblr_m0cbwoWczY1qabfx1o1_250.gif
tumblr_m0cbwoWczY1qabfx1o2_250.gif

The Jackets aren't playing at Value City Arena and shouldn't give away players for nothing.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
We aren't making moves for next year though. We are making moves to make our team good in 2-4 years.

While I agree with the thought behind this, I don't think Columbus will remove all players from a leadership role to go with youth. I think the goal will be to be like Chicago in 2-4 years, not just good. I think all GM's want to be good as quickly as possible and some moves will be made to bring in veterans or swap veterans. I'm thinking a player like Umberger for another vet but maybe on a shorter contract type deal.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I could see any of Aucoin (NMC be damned), Boll, MacKenzie, Tyutin, Nikitin, Umberger, Brassard, Mason, Savard, and Prospal (If the agreement with Howson will not be honored and he wants a shot at a cup) move.

To be honest, I wouldn't be shocked to see Dorsett get traded. I wouldn't like it, but I get the feeling it could happen.

I would be. If Columbus can add top 6 talent that moves Dorsett back to a 3rd line role we'd have a gem. Leader, grit, some skill (not much but some) and a ton of heart. That would definitely surprise me.

Your others at the top of the post are dead on in my opinion.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Who/What would you CBJ fans want from the Pens for Umberger? Or Brassard? Or Dubinsky?

I really think Umberger would be a great fit on the Pens. Not because of the Pittsburgh connection but the fact that he would compliment Crosby or Malkin extremely well. He's coming back into NHL shape (in my opinion) and starting to play better but with the lack of skill in Columbus and RJ's inability to generate offense on his own (meaning high skill) I think he needs a different surrounding cast to improve his situation. CBJ would miss his lockerroom presence but this just seems like a really good fit for him.

Notice, I didn't bring up the contract and cap implications.... :)

Don't see a need for Brassard on the Pens and Dubinsky will be names CBJ captain soon enough...

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Agree 100%. Much as I liked Nash as a person (nice guy, great goal scorer), he wasn't a leader. Best player - yes, but not a leader.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad