2013 NHL-NHLPA CBA

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Anyone interested in discussing pensions re the "new" CBA?

does anyone have a link to the recent draft cba - i'd like to see what the provisions are.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Not sure about your question. The first post in this thread links to the actual [new] CBA.

yes...sorry about that (and thanks to Lady Stanley for pointing that out to me). fyi - w/o looking at this board, i thought to myself i was interested in pensions and rather than reading the board i just remembered my own post on pensions and bumped it. sorry :help:

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Question on Buy-Out

Can a player like say : Lecavalier or Richards if bought out can be sign before the UFA? Or if, like the others, need to wait till july 5?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Paragraph 13(e) said:
Upon termination, the Player shall immediately be an Unrestricted Free Agent and shall no longer be obligated to perform under this SPC.

They become an UFA, which means they cannot sign a new contract before the UFA signing period begins.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
NHL Buyouts rules acc to CBA

I have not found the answer if NHL players can buyout their contracts (of course to pay the reminder of contract to club). Is it possible?

I know that the NHL club can buy out the contract (compliance buyout, ordinary buyout) per capgeek.com

DyerMaker66*

They become an UFA, which means they cannot sign a new contract before the UFA signing period begins.

Here's my thinking:

Players with expiring contracts become UFAs on Friday. Players who are bought out are immediately out of a contract and hence are UFAs before then and can therefore be signed before Friday. Is this incorrect?

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/07/02/today-could-really-be-the-end-of-the-coyotes-in-phoenix

Ready to allow free agents to make visits to possible destinations Wednesday and Thursday for the first time in history, the NHL has laid down the law before the fun begins. They have informed teams that they can’t spend outrageous amounts of money by having owners send their private jets to give the players ultimate luxury before their visits. That means if Boston Bruins centre Nathan Horton, one of the top names on the market, wants to visit a place like Buffalo he’s got to fly commercial just like everybody else.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Here's my thinking:

Players with expiring contracts become UFAs on Friday. Players who are bought out are immediately out of a contract and hence are UFAs before then and can therefore be signed before Friday. Is this incorrect?

AIUI, they can talk to teams as soon as buyout is official, before Wed/Thurs "open discussion" period, but they'll have to wait until 7/5 to sign.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Still trying to figure out the exact CBA loophole that allowed Lecavalier and Briere as buy-oust to sign before today--presuming the contracts were filed with the league before today as the articles suggest happened.

I'm wondering if the Interview Period and RFA/UFA Signing Periods didn't apply to them because they were not on any Club roster as a pending UFA? If that's the case they could sign as early as July 1st when the new League Year started.*

* CBA requires that SPC's be signed for the current League Year, with some exceptions for things like Drafted players on Reserve List. Briere and Vinny shouldn't have met any of those exceptions though.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
There is a second Buy-Out window (for regular "Ordinary Course" Buy-Outs, not Compliance Buy-Outs) for teams which had an arbitration elected, even if the case was settled before the arbitration hearing/award - a 48 hr window, beginning three days after the case was resolved - subject to certain restrictions.

CBA Exhibi1 1 - Standard Players Contract - Paragraph 13(c) said:
(c) The notice of termination shall be effective if given in the form attached as CBA
Exhibit 20, with a copy to the NHLPA and Central Registry as follows:

(i) beginning the later of June 15 or forty-eight (48) hours after the
conclusion of the Stanley Cup Finals and ending at 5:00 p.m. New York time on June 30; and

(ii) For Clubs who have Club or Player elected Salary Arbitration filings
pursuant to Article 12, within the forty-eight (48) hour period beginning on the third day
following the later of: (i) the Club's receipt of its last salary arbitration award; or (ii) settlement
of its last case
(provided such award was received or such settlement occurred prior to 7:00 p.m.
New York time; awards or settlements that occurred or were received at or after 7:00 p.m. New
York time will be deemed to have occurred or received the following business day for purposes
of this provision).​

There was a common misconception under the old (and now new) CBA that a team was required to have two or more arbitration cases in order to use the second window. That is not correct. The restriction was that if a team had only one arbitration case AND that case was a team-elected arbitration in lieu of a QO (for players who earned >$1.5M, now $1.75M) then that team was not eligible to use the second window.

There were a couple of changes to these "Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period" under the new CBA.
- You can't have acquired the player since the last Trade Deadline.
- The fixed $1M salary threshold was increased to $2.75M (indexed to increases in Average Plaayer Salary).

CBA Article 11.18 said:
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the right to
exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary Course Buy-Outs in
accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be limited to no more than
three (3) such Buy-Outs outside the regular period over the term of this Agreement pursuant to
Paragraph 13 of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration
hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to
exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period. Moreover, a Club shall
not be entitled to exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period for: (i) any
Player who was not on the Club's Reserve List as of the most recent Trade Deadline, or (ii) any
Player with an Averaged Amount less than $2,750,000.
The dollar amount of $2,750,000 set
forth in this Section 11.18 shall be increased on an annual basis at the same percentage rate of
annual increase as the Average League Salary, with the first such increase occurring based upon
a comparison of the 2014/15 Average League Salary to the 2013/14 Average League Salary. By
way of example, if the Average League Salary for the 2014/15 League Year has increased by ten
(10) percent from the Average League Salary for the 2013/14 League Year, then the figure of
$2,750,000 stated in Section 11.18, shall be increased by ten (10) percent to $3,025,000.

Old CBA Article 11.18 said:
11.18 Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period. Clubs shall have the
right to exercise Ordinary Course Buy-Outs outside the regular period for Ordinary
Course Buy-Outs in accordance with Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. Each Club shall be
limited to no more than three (3) such buyouts over the term of this Agreement pursuant
to Paragraph 13(c)(ii) of the SPC. However, in the event that a Club has only one salary
arbitration hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall
not be entitled to exercise such a buyout outside the regular period for Ordinary Course
Buy-Outs. No Club shall exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-out outside the regular period
for any Player earning less than $1 million.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FWIW, of the 21 players who filed for arbitration this summer, every single player negotiated a deal before the hearing.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
kdb209, you said "That's not the case" when referring to teams need to have two arbitration hearings for the second buyout window, but you posted the CBA article that says:

However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration
hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a) in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to
exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period.

I don't understand.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
kdb209, you said "That's not the case" when referring to teams need to have two arbitration hearings for the second buyout window, but you posted the CBA article that says:

However, in the event that a Club has only one salary arbitration
hearing pursuant to Section 12.3(a)
in a given League Year, such Club shall not be entitled to
exercise such an Ordinary Course Buy-Out outside the regular period.

I don't understand.

What I said was:

kdb209 said:
There was a common misconception under the old (and now new) CBA that a team was required to have two or more arbitration cases in order to use the second window. That is not correct. The restriction was that if a team had only one arbitration case AND that case was a team-elected arbitration in lieu of a QO (for players who earned >$1.5M, now $1.75M) then that team was not eligible to use the second window.

Section 12.3(a) is a team-elected arbitration in lieu of a QO.

CBA Article 12.3 said:
12.3 Eligibility for Club-Elected Salary Arbitration. Subject to subsections (c) and (d) below
and the eligibility requirements set forth in Article 12.1, a Club will have the right to elect to take
a Player to salary arbitration under the following conditions:

(a) Club-Elected Salary Arbitration For Players With Paragraph 1 NHL Salaries plus
Signing, Roster, and Reporting Bonuses Greater Than $1,750,000 In The Prior League Year.

(i) If a Player who is otherwise eligible to receive a Qualifying Offer and
become a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent had a Paragraph 1 NHL Salary
plus Signing, Roster and Reporting Bonuses in excess of $1,750,000 in the
aggregate in the final League Year of his most recent SPC, a Club may
elect to file for salary arbitration to determine the Player's Paragraph 1
Salary for the upcoming League Year in lieu of making a Qualifying Offer
to such Player.

(b) Club-Elected Salary Arbitration For Players Who Receive Qualifying Offers.

(i) If a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent has not accepted his Club's Qualifying
Offer, nor filed a request for Player-elected salary arbitration in
accordance with Section 12.2 above, the Club may elect to file for salary
arbitration to determine that Player's Paragraph 1 Salary for that League
Year.

...​

- A team with one arbitration case that is player elected may exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period.

- A team with one arbitration case that is team elected under Section 12.3(b) (team elected after tendering a QO) may exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period.

- A team with one arbitration case that is team elected under Section 12.3(a) (team elected in lieu of a QO) may NOT exercise an Ordinary Course Buy-Outs Outside the Regular Period.

Last edited:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Appreciate the clarification about when a team is required to have 2 not just 1 arb. to be able to proceed with a buyout now because I had planned to look up and review to see what the situation was. Saved me some time :) As to the other details, I had made note of the $ amount change and the trade deadline reserve list rule when I skimmed the new CBA, but again appreciate the isolation here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad