2013 NHL Free Agents

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Honestly? I've always been a big fan of Horton. just not sure he would fit into our plans. Would give us a strong Right Wing imho.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Here is the list, as of right now.

Notables:

POS | Name | Current Cap Hit
LW | Brendan Morrow | 4,100,000
C | Patrick Elias | 6,000,000
C | Ryan Getzlaf | 5,325,000
C | Mike Ribiero | 5,000,000
RW | Alexander Semin | 7,000,000
RW | Jarome Iginla | 7,000,000
RW | Corey Perry | 5,325,000
RW | Daniel Afredsson | 4,875,000
RW | Nathan Horton | 4,000,000
D | Lubo Visnovsky | 5,600,000
D | Sergei Gonchar | 5,500,000
D | Robyn Regehr | 4,020,000
G | Niklas Backstrom | 6,000,000
G | Tim Thomas | 5,000,000

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Can't really see anyone fitting into our plans besides possibly re-signing Backstrom.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
The only issue with not re-signing Backstrom is that you don't know how Harding is going to do. I don't want to discount the guy, but he has barely played this season and there is a possibility that it gets worse for him. I hope not, but it is a possibility.

If Hards can no longer play(prepare for the worst and hope for the best), it's not exactly ideal to go into the season relying on Hackett and Kuemper as our starter and backup. We might actually have to bring in Backs again. Or maybe someone else. Who knows.

But looking at the winger/center options, next year's top-6 is guaranteed to have Koivu, Parise, and Granlund. Strong possibilities include Heatley, Setoguchi, Coyle, and Zucker. Larsson could be knocking on a spot as well. There probably will not be a need to bring in a Top-6 Forward, but Horton would be a great choice.

He'll probably fetch 4.5-5million though, which might be too high for the Wild.

J22*

I would take Scuderi on a 2 year deal if they could get him for a decent price, but looking at that terrible list of UFA dmen, He's going to get alot more than he should.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
Corey Perry is one of my favorite players. Would love to get him. But he's gonna bring home some bank. Think he'd look great on a line with Zucker/Seto and Granlund. Or Koivu and Parise's line. Scores goals, plays gritty, goes in the corners, agitates, protects, plants in front of the net, plays D. I think he's a better version of James Neal. Would be awesome.

Not happening though.

I would take Scuderi on a 2 year deal if they could get him for a decent price, but looking at that terrible list of UFA dmen, He's going to get alot more than he should.

Scuderi has lost a huge step, IMO. Every time I watch the Kings he has mind-boggling gaffs. Looked like a fool a few times against the Hawks today. Doesn't clear bodies in front of the net, lets his man just plant behind him, and is useless in the offensive zone.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Can't really see anyone fitting into our plans besides possibly re-signing Backstrom.

Absolutely not. He's not the player he was two years ago...and he was only average then! Let Backstrom walk.

I'd be more comfortable with two rookies.

Billy Mays Here*

But don't you guys know? Getzlaf and Perry are both going to sign in Toronto remember?

I know he doesn't exactly have the best reputation around the league but boy would I love to see the Wild buyout Heatley if it meant replacing him with Semin. Horton wouldn't be a bad option either but his concussion from last season kinda scares me. Maybe if he can play a full season this year.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Absolutely not. He's not the player he was two years ago...and he was only average then! Let Backstrom walk.

I'd be more comfortable with two rookies.

You have to remember a completely different team has played in front of Backstrom for... how many years now?

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
aside from Getzlaf/Perry who i would be shocked hit the FA market, i don't see a single guy i'd want on this team.

Harding made the goalie situation a bit tense, and i can see a buyout with backy getting a 1yer 2mil deal or something along those lines.

However I think we can get a vet goalie on the cheap if we feel Kuempur/Hackett can carry the load

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
the sad fact is you cannot count on Harding to put in #1 goalie time. it is a fact. it isn't fair (especially since his shot kept getting derailed by injuries before) and it isn't his fault, but it is a fact.
hackett hasn't looked all that good, and Kuemper looks like the type of goalie we need but it's a dice roll right now. if harding's meds don't get tuned in time and Kuemper gets a lot of play up here my opinion could change, but right now I think we have to try to re-sign Backs to a short, cheaper contract. With money a factor i don't know who else would fit here.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
You have to remember a completely different team has played in front of Backstrom for... how many years now?

don't bother...Talon has always resented Backs for taking Harding's starting role.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Nobody. We might even buyout Heatley. Parise and Suter were the two pieces we needed.

Get a team together, then work out plans to re-sign them in phases.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul
I don't know what people want in Backstrom. Very rarely does he ever get just plain beat on a shot. If he can see it, he saves it. From there, it's up to the defenders to give him (and every other goaltender league-wide) some help in front clearing the puck/players. Simply put, the Wild haven't had that from their defenders for quite some time.

I'd like to see Backstrom re-signed at a reasonable deal. Can't trust Hackett or Kuemper at this stage. Think Gustafsson is better anyway.

If the Wild do sign any sort of significant UFA this off-season, I'd put money on Leopold.

Ian White would be a nice fit somewhere on the blueline. Don't think Detroit will let him get away though.

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
heres my list of possibles: corey perry, tim connolly, derek roy, nathan horton, stephen weiss. Sign one out of this list, with cullen and pmb most likely gone this opens up a couple of spots.

For backstrom or pmb would have to resign for way less than what they are earning now. backstrom has been solid this year but I wouldnt want to hand him 6 mil again for a couple years

MNWILDFAN001

Jul 2, 2010
Minnesota
Nobody. We might even buyout Heatley. Parise and Suter were the two pieces we needed.

Get a team together, then work out plans to re-sign them in phases.

I'm for a Heatley buyout, but who replaces him on the 1st line. I like Perry, I think he could be good for that line. Like Generic said, he
Scores goals, plays gritty, goes in the corners, agitates, protects, plants in front of the net, plays D.
Only problem is free agency can be expensive. And I'm guessing he stays with the Ducks.

Haite

x
Jun 27, 2011
With Parise and Suter, we can't afford having any more star free agents with expensive and long contracts. Unless someone signs way under his market value, I think we're done widening the talent pool via free agency.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
Buyout Heatley, move Seto for a good prospect, and get a legit top line wing, my votes for Perry. Then he won't score against us anymore either...

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
yup...term length is going to be an issue with us getting prime FAs. Anyone who wants to max out their contract length is pretty much off the table I think. That would include Getzlaf and Perry at the very least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad