2013 NHL Draft Thread IV (draft tracker post #1) (Mod note post #152)

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I think there's a tendency to see someone big who can play well as possibly being able to do it because of being more physically mature. Someone who's huge can simply steamroll his opponent in junior hockey, which isn't going to fly in the NHL. There's about 30 first-rounders from 1996-2000 whose poor pro careers prove that.

Now as far as the qualifier of "especially for a big man", it may just be related to the stereotype that physical size is inversely related to intelligence.

Bingo.

There's a stereotype about power wingers like Moutrey having tunnel vision. They get the puck and they have one thing on their mind, going hard to the net looking to score. Or they are hard workers on the cycle and know how to use their size to protect the puck, but require other players to finish off the play.

And to the credit of the stereotype...how many of the NHL's elite passers/playmakers are guys Moutrey's size? Not too often you get power forward types who are also terrific playmakers.

Moutrey needs to shoot more actually IMO. He works hard along the wall and does actually know how to find a teammate with the puck for a scoring chance. And he'll drive hard to the net, but keeps his head up to look pass too. That's essentially what I meant.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I wasn't here on draft day, but boy if you thought I was a downer after drafting Murray last year, some of you topped me.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Markus Søberg says he is considering the CHL (the import draft is tomorrow) or staying with Frölunda. He played for Frölunda's J20 team last season.

Wennberg will be playing for Frölunda in the SEL/SHL next season, but chances are that Søberg would be a reserve for them - sitting on the bench and barely playing if he did stay considering the number of established players they have. He might be better off signing with an Allsvenskan team where he would get consistent playing time, or coming to the CHL.

http://www.tv2.no/sport/ishockey/ma...-en-droem-som-gaar-i-oppfyllelse-4081397.html

clearwater

Nov 16, 2011
Michigan
Bingo.

There's a stereotype about power wingers like Moutrey having tunnel vision. They get the puck and they have one thing on their mind, going hard to the net looking to score. Or they are hard workers on the cycle and know how to use their size to protect the puck, but require other players to finish off the play.

And to the credit of the stereotype...how many of the NHL's elite passers/playmakers are guys Moutrey's size? Not too often you get power forward types who are also terrific playmakers.

Moutrey needs to shoot more actually IMO. He works hard along the wall and does actually know how to find a teammate with the puck for a scoring chance. And he'll drive hard to the net, but keeps his head up to look pass too. That's essentially what I meant.

Brock, I think Moutrey is going to surprise a lot of people and the young Blue Jackets team is a great fit. Watch for him to have a great year with the Spirit, Think Jamie Benn, 5th rounder.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
With the import draft tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if he's taken. Some team make take a chance on him, since players don't have to declare themselves eligible. However, his rights could then get traded if a team takes him that isn't right.

He's a kid who needs time to develop and the right coach. More time in the Swedish SuperElit (J20) league may not be a bad thing, but he's going to be negotiating with Swedish teams trying to get on their senior team and likely using the CHL as leverage.

dickiedunnwrotethis

It's gotta be true.
May 16, 2009
saskatoon
Heatherington

I really think you guys made the highest value pick in the second round. He plays for my old hometown Broncos, so whenever they come to Saskatoon, I make it a point to watch them. I can't think of one player in the Dub who has improved more from the beginning of the season to its end which suggests that his development curve isn't close to plateauing: beautiful skater, big frame that can add significantly more muscle, and truly elite defensive awareness. With proper development I'd project him as a minute-eating shut-down second pairing guy, with the potential to complement a first pairing PMD (in a Seabrook-like role).

This is from the local play-by-play announcer so there's some homerism, but you might find some of his comments interesting:
http://shawnmullin.wordpress.com/

Of more value is a short interview (segment 6 starting at the 11:30 mark) with Ross McLean from ISS: http://www.thepipelineshow.com/media_detail.php?show=1372132800&sn=8. On a sidenote, "Coming Down the Pipe" is a fairly decent resource for those interested in major junior/college hockey and the amateur draft.

I'll always be a Bruins fan, but the Jackets have become my #2 team so I'm happy they appear to have had a strong overall draft. Best of luck, although with your new management team I'm guessing you won't need all that much.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
So, this Dano guy...

Is he going to make the jump to the NHL this year? AHL? CHL? I'm confused, he says he wants to play in NA, but I'm not sure about where he would end up?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
So, this Dano guy...

Is he going to make the jump to the NHL this year? AHL? CHL? I'm confused, he says he wants to play in NA, but I'm not sure about where he would end up?

NHL? Doubt it. I think his ultimate destination will be determined by him and if he chooses NA, some lawyers.

ClevelandJacketFan

Awesome Mascots!
Nov 1, 2007
...Really?
NHL? Doubt it. I think his ultimate destination will be determined by him and if he chooses NA, some lawyers.

Seems like he is pretty committed to come over. After the fighting, I'm just not sure where he ends up.

Wouldn't it be better for him to stay overseas and play there than in the AHL?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Seems like he is pretty committed to come over. After the fighting, I'm just not sure where he ends up.

I would think the A is better for European players to help then acclimate to the North American game. Don't know for sure but it seems like it makes sense.

ebis

Dec 10, 2012
Czech Republic
I would think the A is better for European players to help then acclimate to the North American game. Don't know for sure but it seems like it makes sense.

It may not mean much but Slovan has the smallest rink in KHL, almost NHL-sized, so it could be easier for Dano to get used to NHL than for many other Euro players.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Personal choice. If you want to have a better chance of making the #CBJ, you probably want to be in the #AHL so you can get a call up if you earn it. You won't get called up if you are in the #KHL.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Björkstrand really have a good wrister

Yeah, he is a sniiiper :), But am I the only one that thinks he has an awkward drag and release? I mean don't get me wrong it works, but it looks very unorthodox.. Also, this kid shoots, ALOT!

That video of Björkstrand is pretty impressive.

Yeah, you guys really have a steal there :)

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
That video of Björkstrand is pretty impressive.

Impressive for sure. Seems like good puck skills and a nose for the net. His skating will need work but I don't think it held Vinny Prospal back... If he has work ethic and desire I think he'll be a great fit some day.

He's also bigger than I thought. I thought he was a little guy but he seemed a few inches taller than his teammates on the ice ????

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
No CBJ draft picks chosen in the 1st round of the CHL import draft.

Dansk's Erie Otters selected Burakovsky #5, but there's no guarantees he will come over. Erie needs help and would be great if Dansk could convince him to play for them. I'd hate to see Erie continue to be terrible and Dansk continue to struggle next season with 40-50 shots a game.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Here's a good 5 minute video of Wennberg at the U20's last year. I'm really liking this guy, and another year in the Swedish Professional league should put him in a position to challenge for a spot in 2014. I see some Anisimov in his game, solid 2 way forward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hzRaJNl6Us

2 way game is pretty strongly developed, good backcheck. Smart kid, can see in that short clip why people really talk about his hockey IQ. Things you can pick out of that clip though is he obviously needs to get way stronger, got pushed around a bit once he got in close. Seems to be very good at carrying the puck up the ice and always seems to look for and find open teammates. He's going to need a trigger man with him (maybe if Rychel's goal scoring translates they could develop together?). I guess there is some of Anisimov's game in him in terms of the 2 way game but personally when i look strictly offensively i see huge differences between the 2. I like what both do, just very different styles in my eyes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad