2013 NHL Draft Thread III (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You can rule out a deal because you don't think its worth a proposed price, or for several other reasons I'm sure, but you can't say acquiring Mack or Drouin isn't worth it because they aren't generational. Toews and Kane aren't generational either, should we not acquire them? Murray and Johansen aren't generational, should we trade them? Do you have a price in mind that you're just not mentioning here?

Is Chicago still as good without one of them? Maybe if we have the Kane to go with Toews (drouin to go with mackinnon) Or maybe we do with Johansen, and we need to add Drouin to be his go to guy. I really dont know i'm just excited to see how everything plays out when its all said and done.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Would be contrary to everything that JD has said he is trying to do.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
if we were to trade for the sedins...which...NOOOOOO...they are taking Wiz and Umby back...which negates what they are trying to do...so a trade would never work...

Milltec

Aug 18, 2011
Columbus
Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread too much, but is everyone ok with how Johansen is progressing? I am a bit hesitant to say he is a future #1C but I think he could be a good #2.

I have seen wide margins of thought on Johansen and how good he is. I am in the category where I think he can only get better and better. Much like SL mentioned in his post.

Oh and... "at #14 in the 2013 NHL Draft the Columbus Blue Jackets select, Alex Wennberg, Center for Djurgardens IF of the SEL."

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Hopefully this doesn't derail the thread too much, but is everyone ok with how Johansen is progressing? I am a bit hesitant to say he is a future #1C but I think he could be a good #2.

I have seen wide margins of thought on Johansen and how good he is. I am in the category where I think he can only get better and better. Much like SL mentioned in his post.

Oh and... "at #14 in the 2013 NHL Draft the Columbus Blue Jackets select, Alex Wennberg, Center for Djurgardens IF of the SEL."

THere's a reason i'm ok with the fan discussed to death Murray for #3...I want MacKinnon...going up the middle with Mack, Joey, Anisimov, Boone in the future...it may be the deepest centers outside of Pitt...Joey has progressed well, we need to see another step next year...but he'll be a really really good 2C or a decent 1C IMO

cydawg

#DefendNWA
Jun 2, 2007
Gahanna, OH
Kings fan coming in peace.

I do believe Vancouver's Stanley Cup window has closed. The Sedins turn 33 this year. They are no longer Vancouver's future, but it's past.

But would they trade those two guys for your 3 picks?

Would you guys do it?

Discuss!

JD and Jarmo stress character in a big way. The Sedins probably have the least amount of character in the league. So, to answer your question...

272.gif

No..gif

tumblr_inline_mkhaceM4bg1qz4rgp.gif

tumblr_mky7dgHost1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

tumblr_lixkmuwVdB1qiqs2no1_500.gif

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
During the lockout RJ Umberger helped out the OSU hockey team.

Think of the effect bringing the Sedins to town could have on the OSU Diving team...

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I think Pulock and Murray could make a good defensive pair 5 on 5 and on the PP. Murray being the great defender and passer and Pulock being the more offensive defenseman.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I've softened my stance on taking a d-man in the first round depending on who's available and BPA status. HOwever, when I look in the cupboard I still see defensive depth potential 3-5 years down the road. Guys like Curcuruto and Reilly have top 4 potential and won't be pushing for jobs for a while, coupled with the fact that Murray, Erixon and Prout are all young and pushing for jobs now. I dare not mention Goloubef or Savard who could be assets for the big club or in a trade

What I don't see is any forward depth with top 6 potential. Zaar? JAM? I'm not sold. We need some players for the long term offensive game that fit the culture we want to build. Guys like Horvat, Zykov and Gauthier seem like good fits and have high end (top 6) potential. There are others too but those just jumped out to me at the moment (I like Wennberg too)

You can always trade any of those defensemen for offensive help. I just think you should always draft BPA (that, of course, means different things to different GM's). You want to bring in the best talent to your organization as you can.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
There should be a decent defenseman available in the 2nd round and there are chances in the later rounds to pick up some longer term defensive prospects.

What forward is available at 14 depends on how many defensemen go in the top 13, and it's possible it's only 3 (Nurse, Ristolainen, Zadorov).

In the case, trading down a few spots to a team who wants to jump up and grab Pulock or another defenseman might not be a bad idea if it added a decent pick or prospect.

I am just making up these rankings, but would you trade down if you rated Pulock a 8.0 and the next best forward a 7.0? It might be best to draft a defenseman if a lot of forwards get drafted in front of us.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It is and isnt, I dont want to see us add more wingers via FA. I want us to draft wingers to fill the spaces that will be created. Give Cam and Calvert a season or two to solidfy themselves as our go to wingers. If they cant, well we have 2-3 first rd wingers hungry for a spot, competition for a top spot should only make everybody play better.

You say competition for a spot is good, but you don't want to make them compete for their spots next year? Also, how is it bad if we bring in someone better than them and then have a better 1st or 2nd line and a better 2nd or 3rd line?

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Kings fan coming in peace.

I do believe Vancouver's Stanley Cup window has closed. The Sedins turn 33 this year. They are no longer Vancouver's future, but it's past.

But would they trade those two guys for your 3 picks?

Would you guys do it?

Discuss!

As good as they are, I wouldn't make that trade. It doesn't fit with how we are building our team.

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I am just making up these rankings, but would you trade down if you rated Pulock a 8.0 and the next best forward a 7.0? It might be best to draft a defenseman if a lot of forwards get drafted in front of us.

The question is what the other team is offering. If several teams want to trade up to get Pulock or maybe Nichushkin or Fucale, then the Jackets can drop down, get the same player they would have taken at #14 and get something extra. If it's an extra 2nd rounder, and they can get two players they have rate at 7.0 rather than a 8.0 defenseman?

There is a limit to the number of players at a position that can be developed properly at the same time. If Pulock was drafted, then maybe another defenseman could be traded - say Goloubef. Then what would they be able to get for that player and is that more than just trading down? Probably. That would sacrifice defensive depth short term but if the Jackets get good at developing defensemen in Springfield and then trading the surplus players for what the forwards they need, maybe that will work out.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
The question is what the other team is offering. If several teams want to trade up to get Pulock or maybe Nichushkin or Fucale, then the Jackets can drop down, get the same player they would have taken at #14 and get something extra. If it's an extra 2nd rounder, and they can get two players they have rate at 7.0 rather than a 8.0 defenseman?

There is a limit to the number of players at a position that can be developed properly at the same time. If Pulock was drafted, then maybe another defenseman could be traded - say Goloubef. Then what would they be able to get for that player and is that more than just trading down? Probably. That would sacrifice defensive depth short term but if the Jackets get good at developing defensemen in Springfield and then trading the surplus players for what the forwards they need, maybe that will work out.

All good points. I just believe in value when drafting. That usually means taking the best player, but it can also mean trading the pick to get a couple of players who together give you more value.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
JD and Jarmo stress character in a big way. The Sedins probably have the least amount of character in the league. So, to answer your question...

Wow, did you ever go full on into a myth. This is utter BS. The Sedins are very good character players. They're extremely hard-working players who take a lot of physical abuse and don't shy away to the perimeter, and they're not bigtime divers either.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Wow, did you ever go full on into a myth. This is utter BS. The Sedins are very good character players. They're extremely hard-working players who take a lot of physical abuse and don't shy away to the perimeter, and they're not bigtime divers either.

We are straying away from the draft thread, however, it doesn't matter about their character. They are creepy as hell.

What is funny about that proposal is that if you buy out RJ we could just about afford to take them on from a cap perspective. Vancouver would laugh at the proposal, but funny to think about.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We are straying away from the draft thread, however, it doesn't matter about their character. They are creepy as hell.

What is funny about that proposal is that if you buy out RJ we could just about afford to take them on from a cap perspective. Vancouver would laugh at the proposal, but funny to think about.

Creepy? Vancouver fans have watched a decade of beauty from the Sedin twins. Plays more beautiful than any individual effort that you might have seen from Nash or Ovechkin. Those are two of the most beautiful hockey players in the league, if the fact you don't like their faces overwhelms that for you, then I suggest you find a new hobby, perhaps following modeling instead of hockey, that can better support superficial values.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Those dudes are creepy as hell. I didn't speak about their performance on ice, nor if I would or wouldn't want them on my team. I didn't even speak to how they look.

I'm sorry that I offended you and your man crushes, but your response is starting to creep me out a bit as well.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Those dudes are creepy as hell. I didn't speak about their performance on ice, nor if I would or wouldn't want them on my team. I didn't even speak to how they look.

I'm sorry that I offended you and your man crushes, but your response is starting to creep me out a bit as well.

If you are going to place your perceptions of what is "creepy" above character or ability to play hockey, than you're going to have a hard time trying to recover the moral high ground. Good luck.

For you reference, here is your original point:
it doesn't matter about their character. They are creepy as hell.
Folks were discussing character and you jumped in with creepiness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad