Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft: The Avalanche Select... (Discuss Avs Selections In Here)

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Can someone give me a breakdown of all the other players we drafted? (other than Mack)

I'll give it a go from the things I've read/heard/seen/determined

Spencer Martin: Goaltending is the position where I have the least knowledge, but it seems like he's got the size and athleticism to be a good goalie. Needs to be more consistent after starting the season hot, and needs to work on his technique and rebound control, something I'm sure Allaire is licking his chops about being able to work on with.

Mason Geertsen: Project shutdown d-man. Humble kid with great size, will needs lots of time to bulk up some more, work on his skating and especially work on his puck handling skills. He's a guy that, if all things go well in his development (especially with help from Foote) can be a Cory Sarich in his prime-type bruiser on the back end. He'll be a guy who is hard to play against, makes the simple plays without trying to do too much, and will stick up for his teammates. Easily my favorite pick mainly because I feel like he could be the steal of the 4th round.

Bill Butcher: He seems to be one of Pracey's favorite picks in the draft, possesses very good offensive tools and IQ. He's very small though, especially for a defenseman, so hopefully he can grow an inch or two. He needs to work on his speed and footwork, and also needs to bulk up a lot more. He's definitely aware of the areas he needs to improve though, which is always a good sign. Another project, but an interesting one. I still think Barrie and Elliott will be the better players though.

Ben Storm: A very long term project that probably won't ever crack an NHL lineup. He's got great size, but that's about it. His skating, IQ and puck skills are still very raw, I could see him becoming a Carkner/Koci type d-man at best.

Wilhelm Westlund: The biggest boom-or-bust guy we drafted. He does a lot of things decently, but isn't overly good at anything. But, like our previous two college guys, we get to keep his rights for 4 years to see how much he can develop, he can be a surprise darkhorse in the 7th round like Gus Young.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Probably because it's better to play 22 minutes a night somewhere rather than 10, even if would be against top competition.

that's not really true in all situations though. speed of the game and various other things are different in the NHL.
if you play 10-15 really good mins a game and pick up the little things that can go a long ways in development. plus he'd be with vets and younger guys who have been in his shoes before(in terms of being a young guy in the NHL and trying to adjust).
pro coaching when it's not Sacco is always better than minor league.

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

There needs to be a graduated CHL league for drafted players.

Or a ****ing CHL-AHL agreement. UGH.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
What needs to happen, is the NCAA needs to get their head out of their ***** and accept CHL players.

righton.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
all I care about is if Bigras is better than Matt Hunwick, if you were to compare them today. If the answer is yes, then he has a shot.

I dont' think that's how you develop a defenseman. They need to work on their overall game at a level they're comfortable at, not be rushed into the NHL because they're better than a #7 defenseman that shouldn't be in the lineup.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I dont' think that's how you develop a defenseman. They need to work on their overall game at a level they're comfortable at, not be rushed into the NHL because they're better than a #7 defenseman that shouldn't be in the lineup.

Bingo. Chris is a guy whose IQ is through the roof, but he needs to work on his strenght which isn't on the NHL level right now, he should get a lot of chances to develop with the Attack since Ceci is probably leaving, he'll get to play an insane amount of minutes on the top pairing, 1st PK unit and the 1st PP unit for the Attack, there's no point in forcing him to play in the NHL as a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Those wondering why they see Chris having a shot at making the team while they think Duncan will start in the AHL should know this, Duncan needs to adapt to the pro game in terms of his passing and play with the pack, in those departments he's a step behind Chris. Also remember young defenseman (especially two with such different skill sets as is the case with Duncan and Chris) can have vastly different development trajectories. Personally I believe that those two will be mainstays in our top 4 few years down the road.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
Bingo. Chris is a guy whose IQ is through the roof, but he needs to work on his strenght which isn't on the NHL level right now, he should get a lot of chances to develop with the Attack since Ceci is probably leaving, he'll get to play an insane amount of minutes on the top pairing, 1st PK unit and the 1st PP unit for the Attack, there's no point in forcing him to play in the NHL as a 3rd pairing defenseman.

Those wondering why they see Chris having a shot at making the team while they think Duncan will start in the AHL should know this, Duncan needs to adapt to the pro game in terms of his passing and play with the pack, in those departments he's a step behind Chris. Also remember young defenseman (especially two with such different skill sets as is the case with Duncan and Chris) can have vastly different development trajectories. Personally I believe that those two will be mainstays in our top 4 few years down the road.

+ there a stong chance that he will get invited to the Canada WJC camp in December.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Apparently the Jackets chose Bigras according to this.

Chris Bigras: Prospect Profile for Columbus Blue Jackets' 2nd-Round Pick
Link

Can you guess the source?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Apparently the Jackets chose Bigras according to this.

Chris Bigras: Prospect Profile for Columbus Blue Jackets' 2nd-Round Pick
Link

Can you guess the source?

Saw that the other day. Figured they'd have changed it by now, but I guess I was wrong. :laugh:

Jazzguitar

Feb 25, 2012
Denver
Probably because it's better to play 22 minutes a night somewhere rather than 10, even if would be against top competition.

Well if he's better then hunwick then he should have no problem getting those 22 minutes a night... Oh wait we have a competent coach now never mind then..

Although in all honesty half the D man we drafted sounded better than any of the D man we have now just on the fact alone that most of them are "smart with the puck" and "limit mistakes" and apparently some can make a good breakout pass, although I know they aren't just saying lol.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I mailed a couple custom hockey cards to Spencer Martin of my local junior team to sign (sent him a second copy to keep but he signed that one too). Anyways, here it is, he was also the first star in last night's OHL game for the Steelheads. I can give away the second copy to anyone here who's into hockey cards.:

r83669.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad