Prospect Info: 2013 NHL Draft [Part 9] l The Draft: There & Back Again l We're Taking J. Subban 1st!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For those who don't understand sarcasm, the thread title is just a joke. Nathan MacKinnon appears to be the guy the Avalanche have their eye on.

Previous Thread

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1450411

Interesting Developments

-Seemingly everyday since both Joe and Patrick said that MacKinnon would be the pick if the draft were "held today" (on 6/24/13) a different member of the Avalanche have re-affirmed that stance. First with new Assistant Coach Andre Tourigny on 6/25/13, then again with Rick Pracey on 6/26/13. Here are Adrian Dater's Tweets on the subject:

adater ‏@adater 3m
Avs chief scout Rick Pracey reaffirms team would pick MacKinnon if draft were held today

adater ‏@adater 1m
Avs chief scout Pracey says team still has interest in Jones, but still leaning heavily toward forward (MacKinnon)

-On 6/24/13 BOTH Joe Sakic AND Patrick Roy have given interviews where they say if the Draft were held today that MacKinnon would be the pick.

-Joe Sakic has publicly said that Jones will not (likely) be the draft pick for the Avs. More on that here:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/ci_23489308/avalanche-pass-seth-jones-take-forward-joe-sakic

-Renegade Stylings has heard that Barkov is high on the Avs' draft board, possibly at the top of it. Read more on that at the following link:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2013/06/source-barkov-is-true-draft-target-for.html

-To some, Jones=EJ 2.0, but not so fast Freudian says:

Seth Jones hasn't anything to do with EJ. There is no cautionary tale here. Just a monster under the bed you are scared of.

-Roy, Sakic and Co. have publicly stated that they will "Study the possibility of moving out of the #1 Overall"

-Roy will be the one talking trades w/ other GM's, leaving many wonder what Greg Sherman will actually do

-Rumors abounded (6/12/13) that the Buffalo Sabres have talked with the Avs about the #1 pick, and expect to continue to talk up to the Draft.

Jeremy White ‏@JeremyWGR 6h
#Sabres Director of Amateur Scouting says they have talked with Colorado about the 1st pick...expect to continue conversations up to draft.

http://www.trendingbuffalo.com/sports/buffalo-sabres/sabres-talking-trade-with-avalanche-for-top-pick/#

-Stevie Y says that he's not trading up to #1

Craig Custance ‏@CraigCustance 1h
Yzerman said he doesn't expect to move up from No. 3. Said he doesn't have ammunition to pry No. 1 pick from Avs.

Interesting Articles

"Why The Avs Will Take Seth Jones"

http://www.aspechockey.com/article2.php

"Why The Avs Will Take Nathan MacKinnon"

http://www.aspechockey.com/article1.php

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Let's go ahead and discuss ALL Draft Related talk here in this thread, including the continuing discussion of the Barkov news that was put out last week

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
adater ‏@adater 2s
Avs chief scout Pracey says team still has interest in Jones, but still leaning heavily toward forward (MacKinnon) :D

adater ‏@adater 2m
Avs chief scout Rick Pracey reaffirms team would pick MacKinnon if draft were held today

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Tweets from Dater....I swear, next we'll hear STAN KROENKE coming out and saying that the team is going MacKinnon.

adater ‏@adater 3m

adater ‏@adater 1m
Avs chief scout Pracey says team still has interest in Jones, but still leaning heavily toward forward (MacKinnon)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Marc Moser ‏@RadioMoser 2m
Great conf. call w/Avs Chief scout, Rick Pracey. Says top end of draft is loaded. Thinks they'll get 1st rd talent w/ 2nd rd pick at 32.

Marc Moser ‏@RadioMoser 59s
Not to mention they'll get a total stud at #1. This is a big year Avs fans. Exciting summer. Can't wait to get it all going.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

#2 is interesting. Malone is only owed $5m for the next 2 years (4.5m cap hit though). If (kind of a big if) you can get him to play 70 games he is a 20g 30a guy that provides size and toughness. If they are offering Malone + a draft pick just for taking him, I would do it in a heartbeat.

If it doesn't work out, or his cap hit hurts next season he can be bought out.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl 11m
The Avs claiming they'll draft MacKinnon at No. 1 screams "We want to trade the pick to a team that badly wants MacKinnon." They NEED Jones.

Some people REALLY think that the ONLY option for the team is Jones. Its almost like they cant even handle the thought that we wouldnt take Jones.

Dont get me wrong, there is still a chance we could take Jones and this is a smoke screen, I just struggle to see a scenario where two teams will agree on an overpayment for the pick.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
adater ‏@adater 3m
Jonathan Drouin's originally reported bodyfat % of 5.4 is not what I see on official combine documents I have. I see 9.3%

So, will this cause teams to pass on him? That's what some around here thought of Jones. :sarcasm:

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Also for those calling Jones a fatty

adater ‏@adater 4m
Jonathan Drouin's originally reported bodyfat % of 5.4 is not what I see on official combine documents I have. I see 9.3%

Hes not the only one that celebrated National Doughnut day...

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
The more and more I read about and see film on these guys, the more and more I want Jon Drouin. He is going to be a beast.

I would rather have Mackinnon. More of a sniper type of player which we lack. We have a lot of guys that plays the same style as Drouin already. I put Drouin below Mack, Jones, and Barkov.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I would rather have Mackinnon. More of a sniper type of player which we lack. We have a lot of guys that plays the same style as Drouin already. I put Drouin below Mack, Jones, and Barkov.

I agree Mac over Drouin, but who do the Avs have that plays like Drouin?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The Avs claiming they'll draft MacKinnon at No. 1 screams "We want to trade the pick to a team that badly wants MacKinnon." They NEED Jones.

Some people REALLY think that the ONLY option for the team is Jones. Its almost like they cant even handle the thought that we wouldnt take Jones.

Dont get me wrong, there is still a chance we could take Jones and this is a smoke screen, I just struggle to see a scenario where two teams will agree on an overpayment for the pick.

Meh...as a big fan of Jones, and someone who still wants the Avs to take him, I've come around to not only "accepting" but being excited with MacKinnon.

Hell, I've even become a bit excited about Barkov....just walk away from the draft with one of Jones, MacKinnon...or even Barkov.

And if you come away with 2 of them, then we would need to see if they have a Diploma from Hogwarts Witchcraft & Wizardry, because Roy/Sakic would have to pull some serious magic for that.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Why you gotta beat me to it? :P

tumblr_m8k2uzVrFg1rcjifso1_500.gif

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City

Why are they saying it everyday though? No need for that...the fans already knows. There's something brewing I am sure. Not saying it will happen but they want something to happen.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Drouin's style reminds me of Duchene. Doesn't have Duchene's skating but same hands and hockey IQ.

All the more reason why a

Drouin-Duchene-PAP

Line would be one of the best in the entire NHL

Drouin is the only player since Crosby to have a 2-ppg average in his youth career in Canada

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Meh...as a big fan of Jones, and someone who still wants the Avs to take him, I've come around to not only "accepting" but being excited with MacKinnon.

Hell, I've even become a bit excited about Barkov....just walk away from the draft with one of Jones, MacKinnon...or even Barkov.

And if you come away with 2 of them, then we would need to see if they have a Diploma from Hogwarts Witchcraft & Wizardry, because Roy/Sakic would have to pull some serious magic for that.

Could not agree more with this post.

I was initially a Jones guy but have more than warmed up to Mack. I think he will be great for our team.

The way I look at Jones is that it was essentially a lose lose for the Avs. If you take him #1 overall there is the stigma of the #1 overall dman being a bust. It would decrease the chances of him panning out. If they dont take him #1 and he goes to another team, he has a higher chance of panning out because he is no longer the #1 pick and then it looks like we missed out. I think the ideal situation would have been for the Avs to trade down a spot or two and take Jones, but no one wanted to give in.

So basically the Avs have rid themselves of the Jones situation and will get a heck of a forward in the process.

Ice Crusher

Apr 10, 2011
Quebec City
All the more reason why a

Drouin-Duchene-PAP

Line would be one of the best in the entire NHL

Drouin is the only player since Crosby to have a 2-ppg average in his youth career in Canada

2 guys of the same style on the same line? Doesn't attract me that much. I'd rather have a shoot-first guy like Mackinnon to play with Stastny who can feed him and at the same time would make Stastny have a bounce back season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad