2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
i'd take arnott for this year. 1/2 a year, a million bucks...sold.

RE: kovy on RW...i get the depth issue, but switch someone else. i want atlanta kovy back- with a defensive twist. i want dominance. did he play RW in the KHL, where he absolutely tore **** up? i know the talent over there isnt NHL-level, but still. its his natural position. give him a ****ing break and put him back. btu whatever, i defer to pete

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Fact: Arnott scored 17 goals last season in 72 games.
Fact: Carter scored 4 goals last season in 65 games.
Fact: Darche scored 5 goals last season in 61 games on one of the worst teams in the NHL.
Fact: Bernier scored 1 goal last year in 32 games.
Fact: Tedenby scored 1 goal last year in 43 games.

FACT: Arnott and Darche are older guys that are SLOW and will further stunt the growth of younger players.

.. .and don't tell me Bernier/Carter's statistics. How many games did they get to play together as a line? They dominated the opposition in the playoffs. So now you want to get rid of all three of them. Makes NO sense. Also tell me the last time it worked out when a Devil returned after being away?

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Zajac, Henrique, Josefson, Carter, Elias, Zubrus, Gionta.

All play/can play centre. No Arnott required this season.

apice3*

I'm pretty late to the party on this one but I have no problem raising the ECF banner before the opener. If we didn't beat the Rangers to do it, maybe not, but that series win is something I'm incredibly proud of. We went from a lottery team coming off our worst season in 20+ years to the best team in the East, beating our top seed and hated rival to get there. That's a huge accomplishment. It's not like 2001 where we came from a Cup win, our second in 5 years, and winning the Cup was the only accomplishment possible. We haven't been that dynasty team in 10 years.

I don't mean to belittle anyone for having a different opinion, but the way I see it, if you don't want to see that banner celebrated then you shouldn't talk about Henrique's goal in the positive light many of us hold it to ever again. It's just another playoff goal by that logic.

That banner deserves to be celebrated, especially considering that 20 players are returning from that team. Let them enjoy it one last time.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm pretty late to the party on this one but I have no problem raising the ECF banner before the opener. If we didn't beat the Rangers to do it, maybe not, but that series win is something I'm incredibly proud of. We went from a lottery team coming off our worst season in 20+ years to the best team in the East, beating our top seed and hated rival to get there. That's a huge accomplishment. It's not like 2001 where we came from a Cup win, our second in 5 years, and winning the Cup was the only accomplishment possible. We haven't been that dynasty team in 10 years.

I don't mean to belittle anyone for having a different opinion, but the way I see it, if you don't want to see that banner celebrated then you shouldn't talk about Henrique's goal in the positive light many of us hold it to ever again. It's just another playoff goal by that logic.

That banner deserves to be celebrated, especially considering that 20 players are returning from that team. Let them enjoy it one last time.

100% agreed. The banner raising would be awesome.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Moose's pads for the season.....from the TG camera phone

BAlPPgqCEAM4BFB.jpg:large

Blank?

But he has a NTC... I don't get it.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
What younger players?

Our depth at F in the NHL and in the system sucks

Well my whole point is that the fourth line needs to be AS-IS from what was in the playoffs. I feel like Arnott is too slow.... and I don't see a need for Darche. Tedenby, Butler fill the holes.

I don't care if no one agrees with me... but the fourth line and the furious forcheck is what put the Devils in the finals. It requires a lot of speed and hard work. I only see Arnott, Darche, Janssen, and Barch slowing the whole thing down.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
sorry if its already been discussed, but whats up with JJ? long term injury? what happened?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Well my whole point is that the fourth line needs to be AS-IS from what was in the playoffs. I feel like Arnott is too slow.... and I don't see a need for Darche. Tedenby, Butler fill the holes.

I don't care if no one agrees with me... but the fourth line and the furious forcheck is what put the Devils in the finals. It requires a lot of speed and hard work. I only see Arnott, Darche, Janssen, and Barch slowing the whole thing down.

If even one of Butler, Darche, or Tedenby isn't able to cut it, then we are in a hole and are going to need to find somebody to fill that void and with our current situation, there isn't any body to go to

The more depth and options, the better

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Fact: Arnott scored 17 goals last season in 72 games.
Fact: Carter scored 4 goals last season in 65 games.
Fact: Darche scored 5 goals last season in 61 games on one of the worst teams in the NHL.
Fact: Bernier scored 1 goal last year in 32 games.
Fact: Tedenby scored 1 goal last year in 43 games.

Carter worked well when he played with Gionta and Bernier. If given a decent amount of minutes our 4th line can get 25 goals.

We scored 149 5 v 5 Goals last year. That would equal 87 goals over a 48 game season.

Which I don't think will be hard to beat even losing all the forwards we did over the off-season.

Projected lines

Butler - Zajac - Kovy = (Butler 10 + Zajac 15 + Kovy 25) = 50 Goals
Elias - Henrique - Teddy = (Elias 15 + Henrique 15 + Teddy 10) = 40 Goals
Zubrus - Josefson - Clarkson = (Zubrus 10 + Josefson 5 + Clarkson 15) = 30 Goals
Carter - Gionta - Beriner = (Carter 5 + Gionta 5 + Bernier 5) = 15 Goals

Project Forward goals = 135 Goals over 82 games for 5v5

Our defense would need to get 14 goals to match last years projects which shouldn't be hard.

Fayne - Greene = (5)
Larsson - Tallinder = (5)
Zidlicky - Salvador - Volchenkov= (4)

I think people don't understand that if you put a NHL (Butler, Tedenby, some other guy) in Parise spot with his 5 on 5 minutes you can get 10 goals no problem. Which makes it a lot easier to make up the 11 other goals (Parise had 21 EV goals last year) between the 17 other skaters. Same can be said for Sykora. There is a reason why nobody is offering Sykora a multiyear contract even though he scored 17 EV goals last season (only 4 less goals that Parise). The people in the NHL view him as a replacement level player.

apice3*

This question probably belongs in the memorabilia thread but not a lot of people post there so I'll ask here.

A few years ago, the Devils gave away three Cup posters at three different games. I have the 94-95 and 99-00 posters. Been looking all over for the 02-03 one and no luck. Anybody have an extra? I'll buy it or I have an extra 99-00 poster for trade.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
DeBoer said Matteau has not looked out of place in the practices. Too early to say if they'll keep him around for start of season.

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
DeBoer on Matteau: "He looks like an NHL player."

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
TG shortened the quote

Rich Chere ‏@Ledger_NJDevils
DeBoer says Stefan Matteau definitely looks like an NHL player. "It's a matter of when."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad