GDT: 2013 Free Agency On NHLN/TSN

Fel 96

JFC
Mar 19, 2010
Little Canada
www.youtube.com
Just thought we'd need a general discussion about what's going to happen in the next couple days in the NHL.

So, where will the biggest FA's like Ribeiro and such end up? Where will the former Wild players like Bouchard, Latendresse, Kuba, etc end up? Hell, where will Zidlicky end up? History will be made...

Last edited:

Billy Mays Here*

Not expecting the Wild to sign anyone significant, if anyone at all. Possibly a d-man or a depth forward, but that's about it.

mnwildgophers

Mar 5, 2010
MN
Capgeek estimates that we have roughly $5M in cap space, does that sound right after the Ballard signing? Our only RFA left to sign is Spurgeon. I think we will probably be quiet tomorrow since we just don't have much cap space. We still have a big hole at #2 C though...

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Yeah just under $5m is about right for us. But you have to reserve 1-1.5m for emergency callup/injury stuff so we're really at about 3.5-4, and then you take out Spurgeon's ~1.5-1.75, and we're left with about $2m to play with. I could see us taking on a lower end defender like Hal Gill or somebody, but it probably won't be very exciting.

Oh well. Should still be fun to see how overpaid some of these guys get. Toronto has $25 to spend and you all know they'll do it. They're going to get some good players but at waaaay too much money for sure.

mnwildgophers

Mar 5, 2010
MN
Every team seems to overspend in FA, but I think there will be a lot of decent players later on this offseason. I don't see a lot of good options in free agency at the moment anyway.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
I think we will acquire another d-man or a 2nd line center, we need to acquire one of those. I think it will be a fun day tomorrow as always, because there are gonna be some crazy offers, suspense and rumors

Holmgren: All your RFAs are belong to Flyers!

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I only see us signing a defenseman or two, not a center. I think those are going to be too expensive.

melinko

Jun 13, 2010
Minnesota
What kind of second line center would we be able to get that's cheaper than Cullen, just as good and would be willing to take a contract length of 2-3yrs.

I think its pretty obvious that Coyle or Granlund is going to be our 2nd line center next year.

Wild Caniac

@WildCaniac
Jan 23, 2013
NC
Then I guess we should try to sign Bozak if we are looking for a number 2. I do think Fiddler would be a great decision for depth and because hes a great penalty killer.

Billy Mays Here*

Then I guess we should try to sign Bozak if we are looking for a number 2. I do think Fiddler would be a great decision for depth and because hes a great penalty killer.

Fletcher wouldn't even re-sign Cullen so what in God's name makes you think he'll give Bozak a ridiculous $5 million a year?

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Just thought we'd need a general discussion about what's going to happen in the next couple days in the NHL.

So, where will the biggest FA's like Ribeiro and such end up? Where will the former Wild players like Bouchard, Latendresse, Kuba, etc end up? Hell, where will Zidlicky end up? History will be made...

Still can't believe Zidlicky got an All-Star vote. :facepalm:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
It's kind of like Christmas morning, although we got our big gifts last year and won't be opening much today (if anything). All the other kids will be opening their presents and it'll be interesting to see who gets what and how much their parents' spent on them.

Yeah, I know, the Christmas analogy is kind of lame, but it works and I haven't had any coffee yet.

Phant03

Jan 18, 2013
If they couldn't afford Cullen there is pretty much zero chance they're signing any of those other C's.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I believe us not signing Cullen had more to do with the term he was looking for, but I think his asking price was also a little too high. I was hoping we could get him on the cheap for a 1-2 year $1.5-2mil/yr deal but apparently he wants more.

He's 36, and I'm not sure how many teams are going to give him over 2 years on a 35+ contract with a significant cap hit. I guess we'll see today.

I don't see us going after any of the big FA's this year. This will probably be a day/weekend of depth signings.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Darren Dreger
I firmly believe Alfredsson is leaving Ottawa. I believe Sens are aware of this. I also believe Detroit is the frontrunner. #TSN

Hmmm....

And lots of people are speculating Horton to Columbus and possible Weiss to Detroit as well. Interesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad