2013 9th Overall Pick Discussion: Horvat vs Nichushkin [MOD NOTE POST #1]

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Continue.

MOD NOTE: This is the only thread where Nichushkin/Horvat talk will be allowed as it seems to be leeching out and derailing multiple other threads. If you wish to discuss Nichushkin as a player in Dallas, please do so in the Around the League thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
I really don't see why we should have drafted Nichushkin when he plays for us anyway. He had some really good set ups in the 3rd period but we just couldn't finish them.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Nice goal there.

Still glad we didn't take this guys.

He's piggybacking more points than Hodgson

Same here. I don't really care if VN becomes a good player - I don't expect him to stink - I still like the *type* of player Horvat is more and he's exceeding pretty much every expectation of him this year in London. Unless VN develops into a Malkin-like stud, which I still think is unlikely, it is going to be hard for me to dislike the pick even if VN turns out to be a good player.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
Nichushkin is going to be a very good player. Still happy with Horvat though. I have a very good feeling about him so right now I wouldnt go back and change that pick.

But it annoys me when people on here discredit another player to justify something or to make our players look better. Whether thats Hodgson or Nichushkin. Guaranteed everyone would be touting Nichushkin as the next superstar if we had picked him. But instead its nitpicking things about his game.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Funny how this thread continues to pop up every time Nichushkin does something noteworthy.

Why not just have a Nichushkin appreciation thread and get it over with already?

This must be what it feels like for Hawk fans every time Stanton has a great game and a handful of Canuck fans go over to their board to gloat or "thank" them for the gift.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Same here. I don't really care if VN becomes a good player - I don't expect him to stink - I still like the *type* of player Horvat is more and he's exceeding pretty much every expectation of him this year in London. Unless VN develops into a Malkin-like stud, which I still think is unlikely, it is going to be hard for me to dislike the pick even if VN turns out to be a good player.

Whatever type of player he is i'll be impressed if he's not back in Russia within 6 years.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Whatever type of player he is i'll be impressed if he's not back in Russia within 6 years.

That may end up being the case, or maybe it won't. All I'm hoping for is for the conversation to move from how good VN is or isn't and become more about how good Horvat is looking right now. If VN turns into a good player, great, good for him and Dallas. We had a chance at a pair of highly skilled but fairly one-dimensionsal wingers in Nichushkin and Domi but how can you blame Gillis for grabbing a 200-ft centre with a tantalizing blend of size, skill, and character instead? Given how good Horvat has looked in London - over 1.5 PPG while handling hard defensive minutes - I really don't feel any need to run Nichushkin or Domi down in order to feel great about Horvat.

Lundface*

There's no denying he isn't a good player but I'm glad Vancouver opted to pick the defensively strong Horvat, and made a small gamble on his offensive game coming around (so far they are right) rather than bang their heads against the wall and trying to make them something they are not ( Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Grabner).

Be honest for those strongly in favor of picking VN (nothing wrong with it by the way, hell of a player) where would Tortorella be playing him right now?

He sure as heck wouldn't be on the top two lines..I could see him being groomed on the third line, but then how much offence would be produce beside Richardson/Booth/Kassian/Weise?

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
I'd love to have VN on my team. But if BoHo and VN have similar success in their careers I'd prefer the Canadian every time, even if the ruskie is a little better.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Nichushkin is going to be a very good player. Still happy with Horvat though. I have a very good feeling about him so right now I wouldnt go back and change that pick.

But it annoys me when people on here discredit another player to justify something or to make our players look better. Whether thats Hodgson or Nichushkin. Guaranteed everyone would be touting Nichushkin as the next superstar if we had picked him. But instead its nitpicking things about his game.

I agree can't stand that a lot of poster's here like to discredit a player if we didn't pick him.. Can you

imagine if Vancouver had picked him the posts we would be writing about this kid would be polar opposites.

I'm Happy with the BoHo pick but its pretty clear VN is a special kid not many 18 year olds can score goals

like that in the NHL.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Funny how this thread continues to pop up every time Nichushkin does something noteworthy.

Why not just have a Nichushkin appreciation thread and get it over with already?

This must be what it feels like for Hawk fans every time Stanton has a great game and a handful of Canuck fans go over to their board to gloat or "thank" them for the gift.

I have been following Dallas because I have Jamie Benn in my pool and I'm pretty sure VN only recently started picking up points he had an extremely slow start to the season and Canuck fans were bringing this thread back up when he was playing poorly to prove they had made the "right" decision it goes both ways

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I have been following Dallas because I have Jamie Benn in my pool and I'm pretty sure VN only recently started picking up points he had an extremely slow start to the season and Canuck fans were bringing this thread back up when he was playing poorly to prove they had made the "right" decision it goes both ways

Nope. Only time it was rezzed was after a VN goal (see his preseason goal vs Col) then people from both sides jumped in. Thread stayed pretty quiet until recently, which should tell you enough about the motivations behind the bumps ...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Might as well just call Nich an ex-canucks and put the Nich talk in the Ex-Canucks thread because it's getting lame in the Horvat thread. It is as bad as the Hodgson and Grabner talk every time they tied their laces correctly.

Last edited:

geoo9

Mar 15, 2013
rusland
guys forget about him. now y must wait BoHo and continue to believe - that Nich is poor defensively with one of the best +- rate at prospects

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Might as well just call Nich an ex-canucks and put the Nich talk in the Ex-Canucks thread because it's getting lame in the Horvat thread. It is as bad as the Hodgson and Grabner talk every time they tied their laces correctly.

It's not just Horvat thread, but Horvat vs the World (Nichushkin mostly) thread...

NoRaise4Brackett

But Brackett!!!
Mar 16, 2011
Lurking the Boards
Nich's slow start coupled with Van's depth, would've ensured VN went back to the KHL - Burr, Dank, Hansen, Higgins, and Santorelli, would've outplayed him for spots, Booth would've been given the benefit of the doubt. were we going to send Kassian to the minors? no. Expose Shroeder to waivers? no. Weise likely outplays him, Richardson has been good, and Sestito plays a specific role.

Who would VN have knocked out of the lineup to start the year?

Would we really want an 18 year old on the 4th line in a system that rarely plays the 4th line?

IMO, things would have been very different for him in Van. Plus Torts would staple VN to the bench for any bad giveaways, not send him out right away on the top line.

Great prospect that really wasn't a good fit for us - Russian factor sealed the deal.

Meanwhile, Bo is progressing so well, that he looks like a lock to be an important part of our core and a leader. The kind of guy that impacts every game in a positive way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad