Proposal: 2013-2014 Trade Deadline Talk - Part Deux - Kane, Wheeler & Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Yakupov would cost at least Sutter, Despres, and a 1st.

Would you accept 2 UFAs for Bennett...and Bennett isn't even a former 1st overall coming off a season where he was on pace for 30 goals last year? Don't like that much now do you...

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If you could create the Anti-Bylsma prototype, he'd look a lot like Nail Yakupov.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly. But I'd go after him anyway. Look, after Bylsma has his little fun in Sochi, and after another humiliation in the postseason, heads will roll (finally). I truly believe that.

So what if Yakupov has to endure his first season in Pittsburgh getting acclimated by playing with Engelland and Vitale. The long-range benefits far outweigh the short-term hiccups on this one.

AND, I am fairly certain MacTavish would actually start listening if the centerpiece for Yakupov is Brandon Sutter.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
guys, come on. Niskanen isn't going to be the centerpiece for a Yakupov trade.

Would you guys take him as the main piece for Bennett?

Our GM isn't a dolt.

Theirs is, Ray has a good track record of fleecing the hell out of GM's like that.

Somewhere, Joe Nieuwendyk is still telling people he won that Goligoski trade, at some bar in Dallas.

I don't think Niskanen would be the center piece, no, but I think he would be an enticing one, he's a former 1st round pick, has a good "corsi" whatever rating thingamajig and he is a guy that the team can build from in a trade. With Smid gone, Niskanen is easily their best defender if he were to be there, I wouldn't be against the Pens moving D'Agostino as well in that trade.

Niskanen, Jeffrey, D'Agostino, Pens 1st in 2014 or 2015 and a conditional 2nd in 2015 if Niskanen doesn't re-sign.

That's not a bad package of players, they get a guy that can step in now, they get another defenseman that isn't too far away from making it, they get a solid bottom 6 player, a center to boot, a 1st round pick (a late one albeit) and a conditional pick if Niskanen walks.

Last edited:

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yakupov is the last guy pens should be going after, hes not going to help any team win a cup this year, he needs to be on a rebuilding team that can afford to let him play through all his mistakes.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I would definitely consider trading Sutter if the right deal came along. He's extremely overrated IMO.

Jokinen would slot into the 3C pretty well and he wins a ton of faceoffs. The only downside is that Sutter is a RH shot which helps at times.

That said, Vancouver is looking for a 3C. I'd be looking at seeing if we could get Kassian for Sutter.

We have Sid and Geno signed for the next elevendy billion years. Sutter is never going to be more than a 3C here. If he is, we have problems.

I'm fine with keeping Sutter also but believe me if we got offered the right deal, I'd deal him in a split second. I just don't value him as an impact player for this team. Kid needs to raise his intensity level.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
On another note, it looks like Florida is prepared to have a fire sale. If they were willing to retain some salary, I would definitely be interested in Kopecky for our third line.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
On another note, it looks like Florida is prepared to have a fire sale. If they were willing to retain some salary, I would definitely be interested in Kopecky for our third line.

Kopecky is one of those guys that I don't understand being in the NHL. He's the European Tanner Glass.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Kopecky is one of those guys that I don't understand being in the NHL. He's the European Tanner Glass.

In what way?

Kopecky is a big guy who always plays hard, plays all three forward positions, is strong defensively, has a strong shot and can contribute offensively.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Matthias would be nice. Intriguing player to say the least.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
In what way?

Kopecky is a big guy who always plays hard, plays all three forward positions, is strong defensively, has a strong shot and can contribute offensively.

Can't really put my finger on it. He seems like he's a half a second behind the flow of the game.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If Edmonton is trading Yakupov...they are taking a top defensive prospect from us and some.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Florida's got some talent. I'm not quick to jump on the fire-the-coach-at-the-first-sign-trouble bandwagon, Florida should be doing better than they are - maybe not world beaters, but certainly higher in the standings.

Maybe it's just hard to play hockey in Miami, especially in the winter. You go out on the road in winter, where you're likely to lose games, then you come home to summer weather and lots of distractions. Except when the Pens are in town, when you focus and typically beat the crap out of them.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would definitely consider trading Sutter if the right deal came along. He's extremely overrated IMO.

Jokinen would slot into the 3C pretty well and he wins a ton of faceoffs. The only downside is that Sutter is a RH shot which helps at times.

That said, Vancouver is looking for a 3C. I'd be looking at seeing if we could get Kassian for Sutter.

We have Sid and Geno signed for the next elevendy billion years. Sutter is never going to be more than a 3C here. If he is, we have problems.

I'm fine with keeping Sutter also but believe me if we got offered the right deal, I'd deal him in a split second. I just don't value him as an impact player for this team. Kid needs to raise his intensity level.

Right, we don't need to be giving that team a solid player and have a lesser version of Naslund for Stojanov go down. Because seriously, Kassian is a tool. He's an idiot that is going to do something incredibly stupid and kick himself out of the league, just wait and see.

It's not even that I want to hate Kassian, I have just seen him do so many stupid things that makes me wonder how anyone can back that kid up in arguments without feeling stupid. He could be a useful player in this league, but he has these tendencies to just run around and be more of a detriment to his team than be good. I mean at best, he could maybe be a Downie type, at worst...he could be a Downie type.

I wouldn't move Sutter for him. I would hope Gillis some how is desperate for a defenseman, a right handed shot one that is good at moving the puck and wants to do a Niskanen for Kassian trade. Maybe Kassian is a guy that can convert to LW and be that big body on Malkin's line and gain a few hundred brain cells in the process.

Don't want Yak near this team. The Pens have trouble as it is with playing a consistent 60min game every game. Yak is a talented floater this team doesn't need.

What, no love for a young potentially more talented version of Sykora for Malkin?

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
In what way?

He contributed offensively for 2yrs in the NHL out of the parts of 6 seasons he's been in this league and he's 31yrs old. Right now, he has 1pt in 19 games, yeah he's struggling, but that's an insanely bad struggle.

I'd rather trade for Scottie Upshall, at least he's shown more in his time in the NHL.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
He contributed offensively for 2yrs in the NHL out of the parts of 6 seasons he's been in this league and he's 31yrs old. Right now, he has 1pt in 19 games, yeah he's struggling, but that's an insanely bad struggle.

I'd rather trade for Scottie Upshall, at least he's shown more in his time in the NHL.

He has had 3 seasons where he has contributed a good deal offensively (coincidentally his 3 most recent seasons) and one where he chipped in a decent amount. He'd come pretty cheap and is a lot better than the majority of bottom six options we have. I'd rather go out and get Ott, but that would cost more asset wise.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Our GM isn't a dolt.

Theirs is, Ray has a good track record of fleecing the hell out of GM's like that.

Somewhere, Joe Nieuwendyk is still telling people he won that Goligoski trade, at some bar in Dallas.

I don't think Niskanen would be the center piece, no, but I think he would be an enticing one, he's a former 1st round pick, has a good "corsi" whatever rating thingamajig and he is a guy that the team can build from in a trade. With Smid gone, Niskanen is easily their best defender if he were to be there, I wouldn't be against the Pens moving D'Agostino as well in that trade.

Niskanen, Jeffrey, D'Agostino, Pens 1st in 2014 or 2015 and a conditional 2nd in 2015 if Niskanen doesn't re-sign.

That's not a bad package of players, they get a guy that can step in now, they get another defenseman that isn't too far away from making it, they get a solid bottom 6 player, a center to boot, a 1st round pick (a late one albeit) and a conditional pick if Niskanen walks.

This can't be real life. Here take a UFA that will walk in July, an unproven 3rd line center that could be had for a 4th round pick, a dman so far down our depth chart he will be waived in a few years and a 1st for last year's 1st overall pick.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
If we don't acquire a new player to sit in the press box by tomorrow I've given up on the season

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If we don't acquire a new player to sit in the press box by tomorrow I've given up on the season

Just give Mark Eaton a call. He's not doing anything, I'm sure he'd love to sit in the press box. He probably wanted to do that LAST year, but something got in the way...oh yeah, he kept dressing!

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
WRT to Florida, there are two guys I'd look at closely as a replacement for Sutter and a way to free up space:

Matthias. Small price -- I think we could get him for Niskanen probably and nothing more.

Barkov. Go big and forget about this year's draft -- 2014 1st + Sutter + Nisky for Barkov + Panthers 2014 2nd/3rd (either late 2nd if they have more than 1, or their 1st 3rd). Basically 2014 1st + Sutter for Barkov, Nisky for 2nd.

Gives them an immediate 2C replacement, immediate depth on D (neither guy is old or too expensive), and an extra 1st rounder this year during Rebuild Part Deux. I know Barkov is highly touted but he's still unproven / raw, so I think they might do that... IF they're really going to have a fire sale. If not, they wouldn't.

I'd make a big payment for Barkov before Yakupov for sure. Maybe in two years that will look silly, but most likely it will look smart.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Florida is not trading Barkov. The drafted him over Jones and Droin. Why would they trade him for Sutter + 1st + guy who will walk in July?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
To further annoy anyone who doesn't like Chris Stewart. Derek Roy is currently playing 4th line LW after being brought in to get Stew going. With Steen being due big money in the offseason, Berglund, Schwartz, Sobotka needing new contracts, as well as Halak/Elliot, they'll be looking to dump salary.

And with Kule being a UFA in the summer, my dream combo is still alive.

As for this season, I'm fine with giving Beau more opportunity with Sid/Geno and picking up a stopgap top 9 guy with size like Winnik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad