Line Combos: 2013-2014 Line-up

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I know many will say "too early to worry about or discuss", but with a lot of things that have happened in this short season (Murphy playing a few games, Sanginuetti and Nash getting playing time, Boychuk gone, Corvo playing better, Semin's play and pending contract situation, Canes creeping closer to the Cap, etc...) I thought it would be fun to have a thread about next year's line-up.

To me there are some big questions:
1) Will the Canes be able to re-sign Semin? I think they will.
2) Will Nash be able to show consistency and take over a 3C role? Still a big unknown for me.
3) Will the Canes (JR/Muller) decide Murphy is ready for full time NHL duty?
4) Will Sanguinetti show that he is a capable 5-6 DMAN night in and night out?
5) How will the Canes handle the UFAs.

Other than maybe a defenseman, I don't see the Canes making many moves for next year and I could see a forward line-up that might look like this:

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-J. Staal-Dwyer
Jokinen-Nash-Ruutu
Osala/Bowman-Welsh/Sutter-Wallace

Extras: Westgarth, Dalpe

This would give Muller 3 strong lines that are balanced and can score and a 4th line with some size and ability. There is also some flexibility. If Nash isn't capable of holding down that 3C spot, the Canes could always slide Ruutu in that slot and use Dalpe or Wallace on that line. If Dalpe can beat out Dwyer, he could be used on the 2nd line and Dwyer used in the bottom 6, etc...

On defense, I really don't think we'll see much change unless a trade is made since everyone but Corvo (UFA) and Sanguinetti (RFA that the team seems to like) is back. I also expect that the Canes will slot Murphy into the line-up (even though I'd like to see him get some AHL time first).

Pitkanen-McBain
Gleason-Faulk
Harrison-Murphy/Sanguinetti

As for Goalies, IMO, it will depend on Peters play for the rest of the season. If he shows he is capable, the team will likely part ways with Ellis.

thoughts?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think if Ruutu were playing right now, he'd be on the second line. That would do a lot of things: draw attention away from Skinner, create a more physical forecheck/cycle game and get a little intimidation factor into the top lines.

I would also not be terribly surprised if JR, with a little savings from presumably signing Semin to a long-term deal and getting rid of LaRose's contract, went out and made one of his patented deals for a $2M forward, something along the lines of Chris Higgins or Pascal Dupuis.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin
Skinner-Staal-Ruutu
Jokinen-Nash (or new guy)-Dwyer
Wallace-Sutter-Bowman/Westgarth/Welsh/Dalpe etc

On D, hope they bring in a vet stay-at-home guy at some point this season and you might assume that one of the current roster D would be going back the other way. Might even have to make the tough call on Pitkanen, as much as I like him he can't stay healthy.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Feel like the second line has room for improvement. Ideally, a winger who is more of a scoring threat than Dwyer or ruutu.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Speaking of goalie prospects: I actually wouldn't mind if we took the best goalie available at this years draft.

We took Cam #25 overall. Who knows, we may be picking that low again. Catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Lucky Lindy

Jun 24, 2012
Stockholm
Victor Rask will begin in AHL next year I presume? Would be funny for me, as a swede, to have a swede playing in the team again.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I like the lineup from the OP. I hope they don't resign LaRose. Also, I know Jokinen is picking it up right now, but I wouldn't mind losing him either and sliding Bowman up onto the 3rd line, leaving room for a new 4th line guy or leaving Bowman on the 4th and getting a new 3rd line LW. I don't know about that 2nd line. They had so much jump at the beginning of the season, but seem to be on a low right now. I love Dwyer, don't get me wrong, but his playing style just doesn't fit in with Skinner and JStaal (to me).

At least this time we have the right type of problem :)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Trade Ruutu. That contract sucks. Trade him on deadline.

Only way that could happen would be for a similarly overpaid defenseman in the last year of his deal. Which I would not necessarily be opposed to, but I'd kind of like to see healthy Ruutu with this team, I bet he could get back to the 45-50 point player he used to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad