Speculation: 2013-2014 Carolina Hurricanes Trade Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Just thought we could discuss some changes. I know we are only a few games in, but I just don't see the offensive push we need from our top lines.

I propose bringing someone in, someone like Cole. We all know JR loves to recycle.. Cole has the speed, physicality and offensive punch this team needs. And apparently could be had for a cheap price.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
To answer seriously: They're already over the cap when figuring bonuses. How do you expect to fit Cole's $4.5M on the team? And don't say trade Ruutu or Gleason because that's not an option.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think we're looking at our squad for the year. Ruutu gets worked in, they ride lindholm as far as they can. Rask, boychuk and palushaj get called up with injuries. Maybe Jordan and peters. Komi gets his shot. If we are close to the playoffs jr sells off a prospect and/or picks we don't want to give up for help near the deadline.

I'd be surprised if we did anything else unless serious injuries happen.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
If we are out by the mid-point, then trade em all. Too early right now to tell.

But I will say that this whole "core" ******** needs to blown up eventually if this "core" keeps losing. But that is a story for a year down the road.

Last edited:

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I propose bringing someone in, someone like Cole. We all know JR loves to recycle.. .

NoRecycling_icon.jpg

Cole is beyond his best years.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
so to bring someone in like cole, we'd more than likely be giving up youth, after 3 games...not 5 games, not 10 not 20, but 3...games...

a bit of a reach there...

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I actually think he'd fit in fine on the third line if he was cheaper and we didn't have to give up much to get him. He could slide onto other lines. We need depth on wing, gerbe and Dvorak have amply proven that. A little size wouldn't hurt, especially if he's healthy.

But at his price and the cost of acquiring him? Nah.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
I actually think he'd fit in fine on the third line if he was cheaper and we didn't have to give up much to get him. He could slide onto other lines. We need depth on wing, gerbe and Dvorak have amply proven that. A little size wouldn't hurt, especially if he's healthy.

But at his price and the cost of acquiring him? Nah.

I was thinking once Ruutu came back, he would be best served back with Skinner; they do have chemistry. I think a line of Gerbe J.Staal Cole sounds pretty great to me.. Besides, Dallas fans say it wouldn't take much, at all, to acquire him.

Besides, I still really like the way our d is playing. I think Bellemore is doing everything Gleason would do, at a much cheaper price. Gleason could bring back a good return...someone to bolster our winger depth. Dwyer isn't bad, he's just not a top 6 forward.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd start Ruutu on the 4th line with whichever of Nash/Lindholm is there at the moment. That said I'd probably shift him up with Jordan to give that line another scoring threat while still being able to run it as a shutdown line, and be able to use (insert plug)-Nash-Dwyer as another shutdown line.

jeromeo87

Jul 23, 2010
Brad Boyes is being shopped by Florida. He got 35 points in 48 games last year; already has 4 goals this year...on a cheap contract. He could look pretty good with Gerbe and JStaal..

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I don't think we make many moves in season this year. Unless we can dump a bad a contract, this is roughly what we'll have.

Zezima

Jul 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Ruutu looks finished to me but it's still early enough into his return to give him benefit of the doubt. I dislike Gleason more than anyone on this board but still think he should be kept around for the extra-depth he necessitates.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Ruutu looks finished to me but it's still early enough into his return to give him benefit of the doubt. I dislike Gleason more than anyone on this board but still think he should be kept around for the extra-depth he necessitates.

If you dislike Gleason more than anyone on this board you'd sooner set yourself on fire than keep him around.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I was hoping Gleason would make some sort of rebound this season but he looked to be playing with the same enthusiasm as last. it is still early so we'll see. I think something may happen by the deadline though, depending on how things are going and who other teams try to move and at what cost this year. there will probably still be bargains to be had.

as much as I wouldn't want to see it, I think Tlusty could still be shopped unless he really gets going again now.

it all just depends on alot of things. still very early to say.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I'd say it's a little premature to judge Gleason's fire from the look of a few back to back preseason road games.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Is any discussion in this thread not premature at this point? And why do we need an over-arching thread to discuss trades in general? So far, no actual trades are being discussed, it's more of a "hey, we could get this guy who plays for another team (never mind the fact that he can't be afforded)" or "I know it's early, but maybe we should see what we can get for this other guy who is performing at an all-time historical low."

Subtitle this thread "Nonsense put forth here".

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'd say it's a little premature to judge Gleason's fire from the look of a few back to back preseason road games.

Not to mention he's actually somewhat fighting for his job at this point. Gotta think he's fighting for not only his 'A' back, but also just a spot in the lineup.

(Not that I think he's ever coming out of the lineup once he's back, just saying he's not our only option anymore, competition's a good thing.)

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Cole can come back when his deal with Dallas expires -- and when he crawls on his hands and knees and begs to play for league minimum.

--hank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad