2013-2014 Cap

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Next year's cap will be 64.3 mil, so after liquidating Gomez here is who we have signed...

Goalie:
Price(6.5 mil)
Budaj UFA

Defense:
Markov(5.75 mil)
Kaberle(4.25 mil)
Gorges(3.9 mil)
Emelin(2 mil)
Diaz(1.225 mil)
Subban RFA
Weber RFA
Bouillon UFA

Forwards:
Plekanec(5 mil)
Gionta(5 mil)
Cole(4.5 mil)
Paccioretty(4.5 mil)
Bourque(3.33 mil)
Prust(2.5 mil)
Moen(1.85 mil)
Eller(1.325 mil)
Desharnais RFA
White RFA
Armstrong UFA
Nokelainen UFA

So with all these guys back(let's pretend nobody else gets bought out or traded for now, expect for Gomez oibviously).

51.63 mil committed on 14 players and a 64.3 mil cap, that leaves 12.67 mil for Desharnais, Subban and young players(under 1 mil) and fillers...1 back up goalie, 1 d-man, 4 forwards.

Assume Subban from 4.5-5.5 cap hit on a 3-5 year deal(doubt Bergevin wants to sign him for more than 5 years). Desharnais probably 3.5-4.5 cap hit depending on this season. This would leave around 4 mil to sign 6 depth players, really tight. I think if given the chance Bergevin will try and move Kaberle once Subban is signed, especially if Diaz and Emelin look ready to play decent(18-20) minutes.

Obviously using an Amnesty Buyout is the last resist to create more cap space but not a necessity.

Last edited:

Zorro

Aug 5, 2011
MTL will take full advantage of the 2nd buy-out, and Kaberle will be gone, which would give another 4.5M

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I am quite confident that MB will use the second buyout in the summer and likely on Kaberle. We have Tinordi who will be ready to make the jump.

Also you don't list Galchenyuk who will likely be on the team next season.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It would be smarter to trade him and get an asset back don't you think?

Yeah, would have been nicer to trade Gomez but that's not how things work out.

If they can get a deal for Kaberle then great, but I don't see that as likely.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
If Desharnais is getting 4.5 he better have had a MASSIVE season.

If he has another 60 point season, we won't get him signed for a 3.5 mil cap hit. 2 years at 8 mil if we are lucky.

I am quite confident that MB will use the second buyout in the summer and likely on Kaberle. We have Tinordi who will be ready to make the jump.

Also you don't list Galchenyuk who will likely be on the team next season.

See my other post on the topic of Kaberle.

Galchenyuk has a cap hit around 900k so he falls in to the "young players(under 1 mil) and fillers". If he has a big year this season and earns bonuses it could put us in a tight squeeze(though we have cap room to absorb it this year).

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Yeah, would have been nicer to trade Gomez but that's not how things work out.

If they can get a deal for Kaberle then great, but I don't see that as likely.

Gomez makes more money(5.5 mil) and has a huge cap hit(7.35 mil) and had 11 points(in 38 games) last year while Kaberle had 31(in 72 games, while playing defense) so the odds of Kaberle having trade value this season are 5 or 10x the odds of Gomez having trade value.

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Gomez makes more money(5.5 mil) and has a huge cap hit(7.35 mil) and had 11 points(in 38 games) last year while Kaberle had 31(in 72 games, while playing defense) so the odds of Kaberle having trade value this season are 5 or 10x the odds of Gomez having trade value.

5 x 0 = 0.

With a shrinking salary cap, I don't think any team will be looking at adding Kaberle. The only option I could see is a team like the Islanders taking a chance on him only if the Canadiens absorb some of his salary/cap hit in the trade, which doesn't really help us.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
5 x 0 = 0.

With a shrinking salary cap, I don't think any team will be looking at adding Kaberle. The only option I could see is a team like the Islanders taking a chance on him only if the Canadiens absorb some of his salary/cap hit in the trade, which doesn't really help us.

The Islanders traded a pick for Visnovsky this past summer. He has a 5.6 mil cap hit, he is 36 and aonly had 27 points in 68 games last year.

New Jersey traded a pick to Minny for Zidlicky.

Teams are always looking for d-men.

If a big market wants help this year they can trade for Kaberle and buy him out in the summer with no cap hit for 13-14.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If a big market wants help this year they can trade for Kaberle and buy him out in the summer with no cap hit for 13-14.

This is a MAJOR point.

We are going to see funny deals at the deadline, like Kaberle and a 4th in exchange for a 6th and a minor league scrub, for instance.

If the team acquiring does not have two players who are compliance buyout candidates, this is relatively free for them, cap-wise, so long as they can afford the $3M cost as a price of trying to bag a championship, and then the Habs can move out a THIRD player in the summer, say Bourque, though he will cost big bucks in cash.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Kaberle is definitely out and Galchenyuk will be in. We should have enough wiggle room to add a decent forward, hopefully a bruiser with a scoring touch.

If our young players keep developping, maybe a guy like Gallagher or Leblanc could eventually steal Gionta's or Bourque's spot but that's still a little bit down the road.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
The Islanders traded a pick for Visnovsky this past summer. He has a 5.6 mil cap hit, he is 36 and aonly had 27 points in 68 games last year.

New Jersey traded a pick to Minny for Zidlicky.

Teams are always looking for d-men.

There aren't many UFA defenseman available after the year who can quarterback a powerplay, if a team needs PP help and Kaberle puts up close to .5 PPG this season we won't have a problem trading him.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
If Markov has an ordinary year, and missing some games again. Moreover, Kaberle has a good year. Who would you buy out ($5.75M vs $4.25M) ?

What if Bourque has a terrible year and Kaberle has a good year ?

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Great thread. Nice to see all the info in black & white.

It looks like we'll be able to squeeze everyone in next season, but we'll have zero room for any new UFA signings this summer. Of course, that assumes we're happy with the current roster and that no trades are made.

The following year, 2014-2015, should be interesting, as a whole bunch of contracts end after 2013-2014. Markov and Gionta's big contracts come to an end, while three new ones come up for renewal -- Emelin, Eller and Diaz. The lead-up to 2014-15 will be a big test in asset management.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Good job by the Habs to get rid of Cammy and Gomez. The salary structure of our forwards actually looks somewhat reasonable now.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He still gets pushed around and is not fast. Not a player you want on the ice to hold a lead. Can get points if his wingers score but he is not getting the same money as Pacioretty.

He won't. I figure if he has another strong year they'll offer 2 years and 8 mil, trying to keep it to 9 mil max. Pacioretty got a 6 or 7 year deal.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is a MAJOR point.

We are going to see funny deals at the deadline, like Kaberle and a 4th in exchange for a 6th and a minor league scrub, for instance.

If the team acquiring does not have two players who are compliance buyout candidates, this is relatively free for them, cap-wise, so long as they can afford the $3M cost as a price of trying to bag a championship, and then the Habs can move out a THIRD player in the summer, say Bourque, though he will cost big bucks in cash.

Actually Kaberle would only cost 4 mil x .67=2.67 mil buyout.

Bourque has 3 years and 9 mil left so he would cost 6 mil to buyout 3 years. His salary drops to 2.5 mil the last 2 years, if he has a 20 goal year they'll probably keep him at least another year and possibly try and move him in 13-14 or summer of 2014.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The interesting year will be 2014-2015 as we will have 3 big salaries coming off the books (if Kaberle isn't bought out next year)

Andrei Markov- 5.75 milliom
Brian Gionta- 5 million
Tomas Kaberle- 4.25

That's 15 million dollars worth of salary. I wonder if they will try to re-sign Gionta or Markov on a short term deals at much less..I guess it depends how they perform the next season in a half. Markov would be turning 36 that year though, and he does have a lot of wear and tear on those knees. Gionta would be turning 35 that year, so if he's still able to play I would mind giving him a 2 year deal at less money.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The interesting year will be 2014-2015 as we will have 3 big salaries coming off the books (if Kaberle isn't bought out next year)

Andrei Markov- 5.75 milliom
Brian Gionta- 5 million
Tomas Kaberle- 4.25

That's 15 million dollars worth of salary. I wonder if they will try to re-sign Gionta or Markov on a short term deals at much less..I guess it depends how they perform the next season in a half. Markov would be turning 36 that year though, and he does have a lot of wear and tear on those knees. Gionta would be turning 35 that year, so if he's still able to play I would mind giving him a 2 year deal at less money.

I think a big part of that will be how much the young players have progressed. A lot of the kids in Hamilton plus Galchenyuk and Kristo should be in the NHL by then. That will have a big impact on what veterans stick around.

I think Gionta and Markov ideally they stay around 2-3 years past their contract as long as the cap hit makes sense and they are still healthy/productive.

Habster33

In Habs we trust!
Dec 15, 2010
What happens if Kaberle gets 30-35pts this season? Are we still gonna let him go??

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
He still gets pushed around and is not fast. Not a player you want on the ice to hold a lead. Can get points if his wingers score but he is not getting the same money as Pacioretty.

So how much do you believe DD is worth? He was top 60 in scoring last season and around some pretty high paid players. He recorded a point in 3 of every 4 games played (Although I do realize the team scored in bunches, so this is merely a division of points/game). If he can put up lets say 35-36 pts this season, he will be looking at 4 million easily.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
What happens if Kaberle gets 30-35pts this season? Are we still gonna let him go??

Trade at the deadline if we are missing the playoffs, and probably traded in the off season if we are in a playoff race. Again this is assuming he gets 30-35 pts in a 48 game season which translate to about 60 points in full 82 game schedule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad