Salary Cap: 2013-14 Roster/FA Discussion & Cap Tracker

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Who puts howard as a top five goalie? I dont see that on our boards or any I have ever seen myself.

I put him outside of the top ten he is better than half the goalies but not by much. You have to put crawford right there also though after last season.

Crawford did have that glove hand issue. That has to be a major concern.

Need a team to win the cup everyone has its place. Have to be in top half in all areas. I think if look at detroits stats especially the last part of the year they were there.

Is why they gave chicago a run. We held down their best players for the first few games but let them get going and than was all downhill cause our stars the guys who had to come through didnt when it mattered.

Hopefully the d continues to improve this year and our stars play better. We were not that far off. Hopefully guys like tatar and nyquist can make our scoring at the lower end a little better and be a difference if a team out plays our stars again.

I would love to see jimmy get hott in playoffs which could happen and stand on his head but would be ok if he just played as well as I have seen him and the other guys play better all around with some guys stepping up more.

I honestly think we have a better chance with the other guys stepping up. When we won the cup sure datsyuk did ok and zette and franzen had great events but was honestly a lot about us playing equal on top two lines and 3rd and fourth lines outplaying other teams.

I dont feel we had that last year and honestly feel for first few games we held back toews hossa sharpe kane etc.. but then they went to work and our guys franzen fippula zetterberg datsyuk played not as well.

RedWingsNow*

I wouldn't say Crawford has done anything remarkable in his career either.

Except that Stanley Cup -- the goal every goalie shoots for.

Really? Because looking at the stats Howard allowed the least amount of goals in the 3rd period.

1st period: 31
2nd period: 29
3rd period: 25

Playoffs.

Here are the playoff leaders (team) in 3rd period goals against

1, Detroit 20 in 14 games
2. Chicago 17 in 23 games
3. Boston 17 in 22 games

The playoffs are where players develop their reputation.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga

Yes but Crawford was nothing more than a secondary piece on that team. He was outplayed by the other goalie in 2/4 series and he never had to stand on his head.

Crawford faced the 4th lowest shots per 60 in the playoffs. He faced an average of only 24.2 5vs5 shots per/60, everyone that was ranked above him only played in the first round. Crawford just had to play well enough to not lose which he did. You can put any other goalie from the other final 7 teams and they would have done just as well as Crawford if not better.

Playoffs.

3. Boston 17 in 22 games

The playoffs are where players develop their reputation.

I didn't even know that you were able to that stat page so my bad for jumping the gun. :laugh: However it should be noted that Howard only let in 18 3rd period goals, 2 of the goals must have been empty netters.

A good share of the 3rd period goals were due to defensive breakdowns. Is Howard completely absolved from his part in the 3rd period goals? No but to put it all on him silly as you don't just suddenly go from fantastic to poor because it's become the 3rd period. But you are right Howard's mental toughness is something he should work on and he has been getting better, his playoff stats have gotten better every year.

I agree that the playoffs are where players make a name for themselves & that's part of the reason why Howard is on the rise. He played extremely well in the Chicago series & while he wasn't his best in the Anaheim series he was still a factor in the upset win for the Wings. He may not have a cup or any other major award but he's still done well in pressure games for the Wings.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

Playoffs.

3. Boston 17 in 22 games

The playoffs are where players develop their reputation

And why is this all on Jimmy?

RedWingsNow*

Yes but Crawford was nothing more than a secondary piece on that team. He was outplayed by the other goalie in 2/4 series and he never had to stand on his head.

That's simply not true. Against Detroit in the final three games Crawford made great saves. He also made great saves against Boston

Crawford faced the 4th lowest shots per 60 in the playoffs. He faced an average of only 24.2 5vs5 shots per/60, everyone that was ranked above him only played in the first round. Crawford just had to play well enough to not lose which he did. You can put any other goalie from the other final 7 teams and they would have done just as well as Crawford if not better.

Crawford's SAVE percentage was pretty damn good.

Every goalie needs to play well enough to not lose.
Crawford is the only goalie who can say he did.

This wasn't Detroit winning despite Osgood's goals from center ice. This wasn't Philly scoring 4 goals a game to reach the finals because their goalies sucked.

Crawford played very well. The stats show it.

I didn't even know that you were able to that stat page so my bad for jumping the gun. :laugh: However it should be noted that Howard only let in 18 3rd period goals, 2 of the goals must have been empty netters.

Fair enough. Detroit still leads the league in third period goals despite only playing 2 rounds.

A good share of the 3rd period goals were due to defensive breakdowns. Is Howard completely absolved from his part in the 3rd period goals? No but to put it all on him silly as you don't just suddenly go from fantastic to poor because it's become the 3rd period. But you are right Howard's mental toughness is something he should work on and he has been getting better, his playoff stats have gotten better every year.

I don't put all the goals on Howard. But nearly all goals in the modern NHL are as a result of defensive breakdowns or tremendous plays.

What bothers me about Howard wasn't just the goals -- it was the way he looked rattled.

I agree that the playoffs are where players make a name for themselves & that's part of the reason why Howard is on the rise. He played extremely well in the Chicago series & while he wasn't his best in the Anaheim series he was still a factor in the upset win for the Wings. He may not have a cup or any other major award but he's still done well in pressure games for the Wings.

He hasn't done well under pressure. That's the issue.

I just noticed your avatar. There's not much point in this :)

Last edited by a moderator:

RedWingsNow*

And why is this all on Jimmy?

Look -- I'm not saying Jimmy Howard sucks.

But I can't give him credit he hasn't earned.

Having an inexperienced D was a big part of our third period problems. Coach thinking Brendan Smith is a PK guy was a big part of our problems.

But the results are the results. It wasn't ALL the inexperienced D. Howie deserves some of the blame.

Brendan Smith's name has been dragged through the mud this offseason. There's no denying that.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Look -- I'm not saying Jimmy Howard sucks.

But I can't give him credit he hasn't earned.

Having an inexperienced D was a big part of our third period problems. Coach thinking Brendan Smith is a PK guy was a big part of our problems.

But the results are the results. It wasn't ALL the inexperienced D. Howie deserves some of the blame.

Brendan Smith's name has been dragged through the mud this offseason. There's no denying that.

Dats, Franzen and Flip not scoring also added to the problems. Howards fine for the team, we could be a lot worse off.

RedWingsNow*

Dats, Franzen and Flip not scoring also added to the problems. Howards fine for the team, we could be a lot worse off.

For this team, Howard is fine. But Howard won't prove he's good enough to win the cup until he wins it.
We could be a lot worse off, for sure.

It wasn't just Dats, Franzen and Flip, either.
Zetterberg had no goals until game 7.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
For this team, Howard is fine. But Howard won't prove he's good enough to win the cup until he wins it.
We could be a lot worse off, for sure.

It wasn't just Dats, Franzen and Flip, either.
Zetterberg had no goals until game 7.

so I guess we can lump Howie with Lundqvist, Backstrom, Bobrovsky, Price, Rask, Miller, Hiller, Rinne, Smith, Lehtonen, Luongo and Schneider because they havent proven they've won a cup

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2 min
Wings' Todd Bertuzzi said he feels 1000 percent better than he did last year and is ready to compete for a spot in the lineup in camp.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
I'm really interested in seeing what the trade we'll need to make is. Will we have to throw in a 3rd or 4th round pick to sweeten the pot?

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 2 min
Wings' Todd Bertuzzi said he feels 1000 percent better than he did last year and is ready to compete for a spot in the lineup in camp.

1000 percent, huh? Well then, Stick him with Datsyuk and Zetterberg and let's see if he can replicate anything anywhere near 2011-12.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Guys with names like Pekka Rinne and Henrik Lundqvist come to mind with that statement.

And let's be real, it took Hasek one of the best teams OF ALL TIME to finally get his. Not taking anything away from him, but that team was the best chance at a layup in the last 20 years.

RedWingsNow*

And let's be real, it took Hasek one of the best teams OF ALL TIME to finally get his. Not taking anything away from him, but that team was the best chance at a layup in the last 20 years.

The 2002 Red Wings might be the greatest collection of names of all time.

But Yzerman was nearly crippled. Shanahan had a bad back. Hull was old. Robitaille was near the end. Larionov was near the end. Chelios was 39. Duchesne and Olausson were at the end.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'm really interested in seeing what the trade we'll need to make is. Will we have to throw in a 3rd or 4th round pick to sweeten the pot?

At first, waive Eaves or Tootoo and look either one gets claimed for free.

If not, then start making offers with retained salary.

Like Tootoo:

1.9M contract.

Wings could retain 500k of his salary and 1.4M deal goes to the team that aquires him.

Keeping 500k of his salary is less than 975k cap penalty, if the guy is waived and buried in minors. So this kind of deal will help with the cap by 475k vs. pure waiver situation.

Scenario for Eaves:

He visits first 42 days of the 180 day season in LTIR. During this period 42/180 = 0.233 percentage of his caphit will get payed normally and we'll go over the cap using LTIR.

At this points he gets healthy. At this point his remaining caphit is 920k. We waive him and don't get any cap penalty because that remaining caphit is under the "925k buried contract limit".

There's lots of options how you can manage the cap.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The Wings Don't Need A Fighter

Ken Holland said:
Over the course of 82 games, every team in the league has a night when they wish they had some ingredient on their team that they don’t have. Is there the odd night that we wish we had two or three big heavyweights that could go out and really dole out some fisticuffs? Yeah.

My feeling is, even if you have a tough guy, they still might. If somebody out there makes a decision that they’re going to go after somebody’s best players, whether you’ve got a deterrent there or not and they get on the ice against them, it’s going to happen

Pretty much says what we expect or have heard before from Holland.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
hey guys, Leafs fan coming in peace here. Excited to have you guys in the East for some more O6 matchups. What is Holland's plan for the cap going into the season? I saw on CapGeek that you guys are about $2.5 million over and I was wondering if anyone's being shopped around/about to get sent down. Thanks.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
hey guys, Leafs fan coming in peace here. Excited to have you guys in the East for some more O6 matchups. What is Holland's plan for the cap going into the season? I saw on CapGeek that you guys are about $2.5 million over and I was wondering if anyone's being shopped around/about to get sent down. Thanks.

as of now Helm and Eaves are on LTIR and by the sounds of it the plan is someone is gonna be on it at all times this year

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Are Helm and Eaves themselves expected to be out all year or is management gambling that there will be long term injuries to others?

I don't know about Eaves, but as far as Helm goes, nobody knows when he'll be back.

Ansar Khan of MLive tweeted earlier that it sounds like it will be several weeks for Eaves.

RedWingsNow*

Are Helm and Eaves themselves expected to be out all year or is management gambling that there will be long term injuries to others?

Not sure about Helm-- that's a mystery, even if does appear closer now.
Eaves is only out a few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad