HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 15m
Last night’s SCF Gm4 delivered 2.8 overnight rating, 3rd-best SCF overnight on @NBCSN ever behind only last yrs Gms2-3 of Bruins-Blackhawks

NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 13m
No cable comparison to Gm 4 last year as that aired on NBC, but 2.8 overnight for last night up 65% from 2012 (1.7), featuring Devils-Kings
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 11m
Top 6 markets for Stanley Cup Final Game 4: New York, 8.1; Los Angeles, 7.3; Buffalo, 5.1; Boston, 4.2; Philadelphia & Providence, 4.1.

Los Angeles delivered a 7.3 rating, the market’s best ever on NBCSN for an NHL game, surpassing 2012 Game 4 vs. Devils (6.6).

NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 12m
New York scored its second-best NHL rating ever on NBCSN with an 8.1 rating, trailing only 2014 Game 6 vs. Montreal for East Conf Fnl (8.5)

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Oh look, suddenly the anti-Philadelphia crowd is very quiet. A 4.1 in Philadelphia is a little over 182,000 viewers.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Oh look, suddenly the anti-Philadelphia crowd is very quiet. A 4.1 in Philadelphia is a little over 182,000 viewers.

Didn't know there was so many transplanted New Yorkers living in Philadelphia or those who live in Philly who think they really are the 6th Borough of New York.;)

showstopper99

May 13, 2010
you wonder if Rangers can force a game 6. That we could see some crazy numbers for a game 6....Maybe it'll galvanize both cities a bit and get some monster numbers.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
KINGS-RANGERS GAME 4 DELIVERS THIRD-BEST STANLEY CUP FINAL OVERNIGHT RATING EVER ON NBCSN

Last night’s Game 4 delivered a 2.8 overnight rating, ranking as the third-best Stanley Cup Final overnight on NBCSN ever. The overnight for the Rangers 2-1 win over the Kings trails only Games 2-3 of last year’s Stanley Cup Final between the Blackhawks and Bruins.

Locally, Los Angeles delivered a 7.3 rating, the market’s best ever on NBCSN for an NHL game, surpassing 2012 Game 4 vs. the Devils (6.6).

New York scored its second-best NHL rating ever on NBCSN with an 8.1 rating, trailing only 2014 Game 6 vs. Montreal on the Eastern Conference Final (8.5).

Following are the Top 10 markets for last night’s game.

Rank Market Rtg
1 NEW YORK 8.1
2 LOS ANGELES 7.3
3 BUFFALO 5.1
4 BOSTON 4.2
5 PHILADELPHIA 4.1
5 PROVIDENCE, R.I. 4.1
7 PITTSBURGH 3.9
8 LAS VEGAS 3.6
9 MINNEAPOLIS-ST. PAUL 3.5
10 CHICAGO 3.3
10 HARTFORD-NEW HAVEN 3.3

http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2...ngeles-kings-friday-night-at-8-p-m-et-on-nbc/

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
48 hrs ago, i was envious of the nba. they had a great series at 1-1 and nhl had it at 3-0 and going for the sweep. now both are 3-1 and both favs going home. so who knows, if NYR win FRI and SA win gm 5, NHL will be the only series left and it'll be a doozy and now we'll have a great chance at breaking the all time record and it's on NBC.. woohoo... oh, and if NYR win at home gm 6, guess what?? we're going to gm 7 of the SC finals.. how great would that be?? nba is well over and nhl in a gm 7. ok, i think i am jumping too much ahead, huh? i'll keep quiet and not jinx it.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
48 hrs ago, i was envious of the nba. they had a great series at 1-1 and nhl had it at 3-0 and going for the sweep. now both are 3-1 and both favs going home. so who knows, if NYR win FRI and SA win gm 5, NHL will be the only series left and it'll be a doozy and now we'll have a great chance at breaking the all time record and it's on NBC.. woohoo... oh, and if NYR win at home gm 6, guess what?? we're going to gm 7 of the SC finals.. how great would that be?? nba is well over and nhl in a gm 7. ok, i think i am jumping too much ahead, huh? i'll keep quiet and not jinx it.

LETS GO RANGERS!!!

When did NBA go back to a 2-2-1-1-1 format?

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Yeah, Chicago's not tuning in, sorry. Hawks are done = hockey is over for 95% of the people here.

Boggles my mind that cities stop tuning in to the game they "supposedly love" after there own team goes out. Nothing beats playoff hockey, even if your team is not in it anymore. :shakehead

I think this is the NHL's biggest hurdle. Even John Collins has mentioned that NHL fans are very "tribal", and basically stop watching hockey once their team is done. I'm not sure what they can do, perhaps take a page out of the NBA's book and use their star players to attract casual fans to games outside of their own team.

With the exception of the NFL, every sport has become tribal now.
It is more so in the NHL.
Even in good hockeytowns, the NHL finals if their team is not in it gets little buzz.
The NBA Finals actually do get followed, they usually outrate the World Series.

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
"Winning Hawks Town" but not a hockey town. The Hawks attendance problems aren't confined to the pre-Kane and Toews years you know. Back in the late 1970's they might only draw 8,000 or 9,000 to Chicago Stadium when they lost pre-Denis Savard and Doug Wilson. They are just like New York and don't pay attention to the NHL when the local team is long gone :nod:

It's not just ethnic minorities. There are plenty of white sports fans in all U.S. markets for whom hockey is simply not part of their sports equation.
If you get most of your sports info from ESPN and sports radio then in most U.S. markets you will barely notice hockey.

Additionally, the Rangers have never been as big a part of the NYC sports scene as the Bruins are in Boston, the Wings in Detroit or even the Hawks in Chicago. The Rangers were kind of the redheaded stepchild of the Original Six for a long time.
You are wrong. The Rangers are huge in New York. Their fans are far more loyal than any US fanbase, way more than Boston.
The difference is, then the Rangers are alright, they don't get too much mainstream buzz, mostly because in a diverse city like New York it is easy to get over shadowed.

When the Rangers are a contender, they are every bit as big as anybody. They draw from non-traditional fans from all over the city, look no further than Spike Lee in a Ranger jersey.

If the Rangers went on a run like the Blackhawks or Bruins, if they can win a cup and sustain being a contender, you will see. Sadly in the Rangers history, they never have had a sustained run.

You realize that a 10.5 in NY is over one million viewers right? And a 4.8, for the SCF, on a Saturday night is very good even with the Belmont lead in, better than just "okay". People need to realize the NHL cannot match the NBA regardless of the matchup, but even still...ratings have been moving in the right direction since the 2008 playoffs, the LA/NJ SCF being the one outlier, and this is very encouraging for the league going forward.

I agree. NY-CHI would have got higher ratings, but a good NY-LA series will create more new NHL fans and be better long term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
cities i have been impressed with so far in playoffs

SD and LV.. great ratings

Bos.. so happy to see them get great ratings not just for B's, but for other teams. they even beat sox head to head. WOW, a true hockey town.

BUF. although not surprised at all

NY and LA.. a tie. both have really impressed me, more though LA, especially if they get 15-20 tonight or for final game.

And finally, i am most impressed with CHICAGO. i tip my hat to this city. pre 2009, they couldn't even get 2's.. now after thinking they only are hawks fans and not hockey fans, they avg close to 4's for this non hawks series. way to go, CHICAGO. you really are a hockey town now.

_________

I am truly disappointed in PIT. i thought they were a real hockey town. getting 25's for PENS and now barely hitting 3's for sc final.. you can do better than that, PIT.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
You are wrong and ignorant. The Rangers are huge in New York. Their fans are far more loyal than any US fanbase, way more than Boston.

I lived in the city for over a decade, and now live in the suburbs.

I remember back around 2000-2003 it was easy as pie to walk up to the box office at MSG and get tickets for face value. Large swaths of empty seats. No one in New York was talking about the Rangers. Not on the radio and not in the papers.

The Rangers need to win to be relevant in the city, to even be talked about in the media at all. And even then when they're in the playoffs, they fall behind the Yankees/Mets scores, and whatever the Jets and Giants are doing in the offseason.

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
I lived in the city for over a decade, and now live in the suburbs.

I remember back around 2000-2003 it was easy as pie to walk up to the box office at MSG and get tickets for face value. Large swaths of empty seats. No one in New York was talking about the Rangers. Not on the radio and not in the papers.

The Rangers need to win to be relevant in the city, to even be talked about in the media at all. And even then when they're in the playoffs, they fall behind the Yankees/Mets scores, and whatever the Jets and Giants are doing in the offseason.

Rangers are definitely not "huge" in New York. The ratings prove that.

youthoftoday

Jun 14, 2011
Philly
Didn't know there was so many transplanted New Yorkers living in Philadelphia or those who live in Philly who think they really are the 6th Borough of New York.;)

We're tuning in to watch the Rangers lose. :yo:

Plus, you have the Richards/Carter and to a lesser extent, Williams connection to LA.

CBCnutcase

Sep 11, 2007
A Stanley Cup Final game (not to mention a potential Cup-clinching game) bumped for soccer? That's terrible.

This isn't England. Who cares?
The CBC wanted it that way. The same thing has happened with the Winter Olympics in having games scheduled earlier on Sat.

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
LA gets 10% less than 2012 game clincher. i expected 20%-30% more. oh well.. but i can't wait to see what this exciting game peaked at in OT.. i'm hoping a great #.

NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 10m
LA drew 12.4 rating, ranking as LA’s 2nd-best rating ever on NBC/NBCSN, trailing clinching Gm6 of 2012 SCF (13.6) & up 41% vs 2012 Gm5 (8.8)

New York delivered its second best NHL rating ever on NBC/NBCSN w 10.4 rating, behind only Saturday’s Game 2
of the series (10.5).

The 4.6 overnight was up +15% from last year’s SCF Game 5 w Bos/Chi (4.0) & +77% from 2012 (2.6), which also featured LA Kings (vs Devils)
NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 16m

With 4.6 overnight rating, last night’s Game 5 ranks as best SCF Game 5 in 14 years, since 2000 on ABC (Dallas/NJ 3OT: 5.3)

KuralySnipes

Jan 7, 2011
Arlington, VA
LA gets 10% less than 2012 game clincher. i expected 20%-30% more. oh well.. but i can't wait to see what this exciting game peaked at in OT.. i'm hoping a great #.

NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 10m
LA drew 12.4 rating, ranking as LA’s 2nd-best rating ever on NBC/NBCSN, trailing clinching Gm6 of 2012 SCF (13.6) & up 41% vs 2012 Gm5 (8.8)

New York delivered its second best NHL rating ever on NBC/NBCSN w 10.4 rating, behind only Saturday’s Game 2
of the series (10.5).

The 4.6 overnight was up +15% from last year’s SCF Game 5 w Bos/Chi (4.0) & +77% from 2012 (2.6), which also featured LA Kings (vs Devils)
NBCSportsPR ‏@NBCSportsPR 16m

With 4.6 overnight rating, last night’s Game 5 ranks as best SCF Game 5 in 14 years, since 2000 on ABC (Dallas/NJ 3OT: 5.3)

Solid national rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad