Speculation: 2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, and Proposals (including Leafs Props)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
You won't see Nonis trading for a top dman until next year at the earliest. We have way too many high end prospects coming up right now. If Rielly/Gardiner rip it up this year, we won't need to make a deal. Plus we will probably have Percy up next year. He showed A LOT of promise.

Unless we can get another Phaneuf deal, it will remain status quo. Very obviously IMO :laugh:

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Get a first round pick for Reimer, use that and ours in a trade to move up in the draft then BAM! Welcome to Toronto Sam Reinhart. :sarcasm:

I don't think the market for Reimer is good enough to get a mid first. Maybe his value lies at about 25-30. Until one of these picks is moved, I don't see a team in that position being in need of a starting G.

Also, 2 picks between 20-30 don't get you a shot at a pick in the top 5, but I guess that's where the :sarcasm: comes into play. ;)

That actually describes the Avs to a tee. Just saying.

I see them as having 3 great 2C's with 2 of them having 1C potential. I don't see us making enough moves to go sideways on a C acquisition. Kadri has the potential to be a 1C himself. And Bolland, Bozak and McLement all add enough of the intangibles to make up for it, for now. Especially with the amount of fire power we have on the wings.

Doubt we trade Gardiner within conference..

I don't see that being a problem. He isn't a roadblock type D, like Weber or Chara. Besides, we will now play PHI as much as LA or VAN. Not that I would protest trading him to MON for the right package.

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
I don't really foresee many deals happening this year. We're going to be fighting for our playoff spot until the end so we can't really make any deadline 'seller' deals and I'm not a fan of being a buyer.

Perhaps Kulemin could net us a 1st if it's not looking like he'll re-sign. The key to this team remaining a very good team for a long time will be how we can continually stock the cupboards.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Might happen.

The issues are our salary cap situation and what minute munching dmen are out there with a reasonable cap hit?

Smid
for
Gardiner and Liles

Yes, I know all Oilers defenders suck especially when their goaltenders are better at suckage.

Smid:
151 hits
119 blocks

Phaneuf:
131 hits
91 blocks

Phaneuf - Franson
Smid - Rielly
Ranger - Gunnarsson

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Honestly, if Nonis really feels the need to move Gardiner, I'd ask for either a RH top 2-4D, or a 1st and prospect. Why not continue to load up the cupboard.

As has been mentioned, we don't have a real pressing need right now, outside of a 2D. But even that can be answered in the long run internally, and filled rather adequately short term, with Gunnarson. It'd be fun to have 3-4 picks in the top 40.

If our development system is functioning properly, secondary players like Gardiner and Kulemin can be recycled constantly for picks and prospects to keep the cap number down, if they don't fit our coaching system or start to demand considerable $ and allow us to make big signings like Kessel, Dion etc and make the odd appropriate splash on star FA's.

I love what Clarkson brings, I'm a big of him and his style of play, and feel we are lacking in his intangibles, but that's the type of player we should be expecting out of our farm system. With Broll, Ross, Devane, Biggs, Rupert on the farm, we may start to see that in the next couple of years.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
IMO its RC driving these decisions, not Nonis

RC will say if he thinks Gardiner is a long term fit, if he feels confident in Phanuef being his horse and the salary that comes from that.

Once nonis gets those answers he makes a deal, one way or the other

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Pittsburgh has long been after Kulemin to play with Malkin and they may give up a defenceman like Matt Niskanen to do so but to even out the cap hit we may have to take Joe Vitale as well.

Niskanen 2.3 mill cap hit plus Vitale .550 cap hit = 2.85 cap hit

Kulemin 2.8 mill cap hit

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
IMO its RC driving these decisions, not Nonis

RC will say if he thinks Gardiner is a long term fit, if he feels confident in Phanuef being his horse and the salary that comes from that.

Once nonis gets those answers he makes a deal, one way or the other

Agreed. It's not as though RC is the boss, but if you faith in your coach, he should have a big say on who stays and who goes. Even if he can't utilize a talented player.

Carlyle's plans have resulted in a Cup ring. I'd allow him to make the call on giving up on Gardiner and trading him if he feels he is a weak link on the D. But, IMO, it's Ranger that is the weak link in the 2 games I've caught. There also isn't any development left in him at this age. But it could be 2 year of rust that needs to me shaken off.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
I don't understand why you guys want to trade guys like Reimer, Kulemin, Gardiner, Phaneuf...unless it's for a clear upgrade, why even bother? Think about what we need. A top 4 RHD who's more defensive orientated or a clear upgrade at C (which is unlikely to be traded for realistically) or a bottom pairing vet RHD version of Fraser.

What I was thinking is something along the lines of Gardiner & Kulemin for Adam Larsson. I am really against trading Kulemin and Gardiner but Larsson is a guy who right now not be elite, but I think as soon as next season, or possibly even this year in Carlyle's system, could be playing top 4 minutes.

Yes, a guy like Niskanen is a RHD but he's not very good. I don't really see where he would fit on our team. Can't see the value in trading him for Kulemin. He's at best a short-term stop gap that doesn't provide more than Kulemin does.

Larsson can transition the puck, but he's not an offensive guy. He's not an off the boards and out player, he'll make the first pass and could even substitute on a PP. Right now he's probably a pretty similar player to Gunnarsson, similar size too but a wider frame and worse as of now. Larsson has the potential to be much better though. The biggest sell with Larsson is his untapped potential and he's a RHD.

That would leave us with

Phaneuf-Gunarsson
Rielly-Larsson
Fraser-Franson
Ranger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't understand why you guys want to trade guys like Reimer, Kulemin, Gardiner, Phaneuf...unless it's for a clear upgrade, why even bother? Think about what we need. A top 4 RHD who's more defensive orientated or a clear upgrade at C (which is unlikely to be traded for realistically) or a bottom pairing vet RHD version of Fraser.

What I was thinking is something along the lines of Gardiner & Kulemin for Larsson. I am really against trading Kulemin and Gardiner but Larsson is a guy who right now not be elite, but I think as soon as next season, or possibly even this year in Carlyle's system, could be playing top 4 minutes.

Yes, a guy like Niskanen is a RHD but he's not very good. I don't really see where he would fit on our team. Can't see the value in trading him for Kulemin. He's at best a short-term stop gap that doesn't provide more than Kulemin does.

Larsson can transition the puck, but he's not an offensive guy. He's not an off the boards and out player, he'll make the first pass and could even substitute on a PP. Right now he's probably a pretty similar player to Gunnarsson, similar size too but a wider frame and worse as of now. Larsson has the potential to be much better though. The biggest sell with Larsson is his untapped potential and he's a RHD.

That would leave us with

Phaneuf-Gunarsson
Rielly-Larsson
Fraser-Franson
Ranger

I'm thinking you mean Adam Larsson not OEL?

OEL you're looking at Kadri, Gardiner, ++.

Larry Hoover

Sep 16, 2012
I'm thinking you mean Adam Larsson not OEL?

OEL you're looking at Kadri, Gardiner, ++.

Yeah, Adam Larsson. Of course I don't mean OEL lol.

What we need is ideally a veteran, physical, RHD who can play in the top 4.

I hate to say it, but Luke Schenn is the exact defenceman we need right now. The only thing he lacks is the veteran experience I'd want. Schenn would also be the perfect fit in Carlyle's system I think. Wislon's system really exposed his lack of foot speed and smarts but Carlyle would be amazing with him. Of course I'd rather JvR though.

91Kadri91*

Pittsburgh has long been after Kulemin to play with Malkin and they may give up a defenceman like Matt Niskanen to do so but to even out the cap hit we may have to take Joe Vitale as well.

Niskanen 2.3 mill cap hit plus Vitale .550 cap hit = 2.85 cap hit

Kulemin 2.8 mill cap hit

We don't need more defensive depth, we need more quality.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
We don't need more defensive depth, we need more quality.

A quick look around the League and you will be hard pressed, to find a team willing to give up a top defenceman, unless your willing to heavily over pay for one, this trade at least is Cap compatable and may be doable, if your looking for a "D", he's Right handed has a good TOI and may fit with Gardiner.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471702

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I don't really see our teams problem with scoring.. I agree with what a couple have said here, instead of focussing on a #1 centre we should focus on getting a good #2 defender to add to Phaneuf & Franson.

or just add a quality good defensemen. we need to go out and get our Jaybo like how St Louis did kinda.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Not a #1C but ROR is better than Bozak.

ROR/Kadri/Bozak down the middle would be pretty good.

Avs are going to have a problem to get him signed IMO. His qualifying offer is 6.5M and he won't take anything less than 5M...they're pretty cheap. ROR is most likely gone unless Roy and Sakic somehow convince him.

ROR would be a nice player to add to our top 6, but he definitely doesn't help our cap issue next summer. In fact he makes it much, much worse.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Smid
for
Gardiner and Liles

Yes, I know all Oilers defenders suck especially when their goaltenders are better at suckage.

Smid:
151 hits
119 blocks

Phaneuf:
131 hits
91 blocks

Phaneuf - Franson
Smid - Rielly
Ranger - Gunnarsson

Hell no.

Smid's fine whatever. Getting rid of Liles is nice. But using Gardiner to do that? That's shortsighted in the worst way. If you're trading Gardiner, it's for a high potential player in return. Anything less and you lose that trade no matter what.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
ach. now we're trading a talent like Gardiner for a bottom pair dman on one of the worst defense corps in hockey?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
People, please lift your heads up.......stop looking at your shoes and look down the road. The Leafs aren't contending for the cup this year or next. Why trade Gardnier now? He's growing into a stud D man, and should peak just at the right time. Sure he looks like a defensive liability at times, but honestly who on the Leafs defence doesn't? Dion is the guy to trade, already overpaid, will want even more money next contract, and has good trade value. Packaged with other assets could get a #1 centre in return while freeing up cap space going forward.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
People, please lift your heads up.......stop looking at your shoes and look down the road. The Leafs aren't contending for the cup this year or next. Why trade Gardnier now? He's growing into a stud D man, and should peak just at the right time. Sure he looks like a defensive liability at times, but honestly who on the Leafs defence doesn't? Dion is the guy to trade, already overpaid, will want even more money next contract, and has good trade value. Packaged with other assets could get a #1 centre in return while freeing up cap space going forward.

Heh.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Naah, more like trading a soft 3rd. pairing defender for a tough defensive minded 2nd. pairing defender and dumping a mistake contract in the deal.

Completely disagree. Giving up on Gardiner right now would be a huge mistake...assuming they don't steal another young player with upside in return. Gardiner is my favourite Leafs D. What they should be looking for, is a better stay at home D to pair him up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad