2012 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
this team is going to get torched...way too much overrating going on here....;)

what do you mean *overrating*? Canadians are known world wide for being low key and hesitant when it comes to evaluating prospects from our country.

"Shy" is Canada's middle name when it comes to expressing our opinions on our own "up and comers"

I personally don't follow this tournament at all, except to know we've won it 16/21 times. Apparently, in the tournament's history, it was only on two occasions that Canada failed to win a medal...but I don't know for sure. It's a low level tournament, and hockey really isn't a big sport here in canada. :laugh: ;)

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
It's going to be tough to cut down the roster, very talented skaters, and even some left off the board who could've made the team.

RyanHPscout

May 31, 2011
Right on! Totally forgot about that and also because I thought they both play on the left side so split em' up.

Usually it's not streamed but a guy by the name of drpabloramirez who resides in either the czech republic or slovakia records a game or two and uploads the video online. He should have the final of this tournament since it'll be in his hometown as he put up the semi final of last year's and the final of the previous year. Would be cool if TSN picked this tournament up and broadcast it for once, it's still summer time but it'd be nice to see the cream of the crop play together as it's never the case at the U-18's.

Anyone see Jason Dickinson play and have info on his game? Don't want to say off the radar but he wasn't on the Ontario U-17 team, but seemed to have a impressive rookie year with Guelph and got the invite. What do you label his chances of making the squad?

We ran a feature on Dickinson a few months ago, I think he's a great pick up for this camp and this may be his coming out party on a bigger stage.

http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index.php/articles/nhl-draft-news/item/108-jason-dickinson.html

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
This team is going to be scary good regardless of who is selected.

Spencer Martin
Eric Comrie

Darnell Nurse Aaron Ekblad
Jordan Subban Madison Bowey
Josh Morrissey Chris Bigras

Jonathan Drouin Nathan MacKinnon Anthony Duclair
Bo Horvat Max Domi Nick Ritchie
Morgan Klimchuk Sam Reinhart Curtis Lazar
Nick Baptiste Ryan Kujawinski Brandon Robinson

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
It's going to be tough to cut down the roster, very talented skaters, and even some left off the board who could've made the team.

I agree. one player who i'm anxious to see at camp is horvat - he was in the position of not being the top rookie on a deep knights team...so it will be interesting to see where he starts to fall (tournament and draft wise) - re: draft, he's definitely someone who will be gone in the 2nd round...but also seems "on the bubble" for the first round. i'm not sure he'll end up making the team...but we'll see - i'd like to see him do it, b/c i liked his play esp. during the Mem.

it will also be interesting to see how domi fares with slightly tougher competition. he seems destined for the first round *somewhere* - but size-wise, he has issues...i think he's quite certain to make the team, so it will be interesting to watch him at the tournament.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
I agree. one player who i'm anxious to see at camp is horvat - he was in the position of not being the top rookie on a deep knights team...so it will be interesting to see where he starts to fall (tournament and draft wise) - re: draft, he's definitely someone who will be gone in the 2nd round...but also seems "on the bubble" for the first round. i'm not sure he'll end up making the team...but we'll see - i'd like to see him do it, b/c i liked his play esp. during the Mem.

it will also be interesting to see how domi fares with slightly tougher competition. he seems destined for the first round *somewhere* - but size-wise, he has issues...i think he's quite certain to make the team, so it will be interesting to watch him at the tournament.

He's played fantastic. He just makes the best of what he's given. He would have been in the top 6 on any other team but due to London's depth he was on the fourth line. Expect him to be selected in the first round next June. He just does it all, the kid is a leader and one of the more complete 95 in the OHL.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
He's played fantastic. He just makes the best of what he's given. He would have been in the top 6 on any other team but due to London's depth he was on the fourth line. Expect him to be selected in the first round next June. He just does it all, the kid is a leader and one of the more complete 95 in the OHL.

we'll see about that - it would be nice, but there's a lot of competition. hopefully he will get better time in London next year and he'll work on his skills, esp. his skating. One thing Horvat is going to have is that even if he's not the tallest guy around, he's built like a brick wall - he has a level of brute strength which a lot of kids his age don't have...and *so far* he's been able to use it without making the mistake of gooning it up or taking a stream of stupid penalties - which is an easy error to make when you want to get noticed and you have size/strength...he's stayed away from stupidity, which is to his credit.

it probably doesn't help him that the other draft eligible forward on the team will be Domi, for a variety of reasons...but the inevitable headache that having Domi as a draft eligible teammate brings is certainly not Horvat's fault...and let's just hope the Hunters are responsible about things.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
How old is Ekblad now? 16? I plan on watching mostly to see him play, I've never watched Ekblad yet. Sounds like he could be a big-time defensemen someday.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
How old is Ekblad now? 16? I plan on watching mostly to see him play, I've never watched Ekblad yet. Sounds like he could be a big-time defensemen someday.

Yes, He's 16. A February 1996 Birth year. Meaning he's the only underager to be named to the U18 team which are all 1995 born. I think he's good enough to play with the U20 team already, but there are some who will disagree. He'll be a Top 3 NHL pick in 2014 for sure.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Glad to see that Horvat was invited :)

...I didn't know that Jordan Subban was as small as he's listed as.

Saw Subban a decent amount this year as Ottawa played BV in the OHL playoffs. And yes, he looked very small in that series. Can skate, but decision making is still needing work.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
What do you guys think of this lineup?

Zachary Fucale
Eric Comrie

Josh Morrissey Aaron Ekblad
Darnell Nurse Madison Bowey
Chris Bigras Jordan Subban
Samuel Morin

Jonathan Drouin Nathan Mackinnon Hunter Garlent
Anthony Duclair Sam Reinhart Nick Ritchie
Bo Horvat Curtis Lazar Max Domi
Matt Needham Ryan Kujawinski Nick Baptiste
Jeremy Gregoire

Baptiste and Domi has had some good chemistry in the past on Ontario teams as well.

And Domi may be smaller, but he plays bigger. Well built, great balance and scrappy. I like the looks of this lineup.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Baptiste and Domi has had some good chemistry in the past on Ontario teams as well.

And Domi may be smaller, but he plays bigger. Well built, great balance and scrappy. I like the looks of this lineup.

What makes you think Morin is good enough to make this team? I'm not familiar with this player so much, so how's he skating? He's tall at 6,5, but he doesn't score, is a minus player...so what is he? is he a shut down D-man? I just hope he brings something to the table other than his height.

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
how the hell does alex forsberg not get an invite??????

My take is he's a top 6 offensive player by the looks of it and since there's 6 or more players better then him in this capacity as well as the fact he doesn't bring anything out of ordinary to a team like this as he is really soft from what I remember watching him at the under 17's.. meaning he can't be placed for any other role... Invite maybe, but let's be honest 3/4 of the team is probably made by now, especially the top 8 or 9 so it's just a matter of a couple players who will fit a depth role better then others.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
My take is he's a top 6 offensive player by the looks of it and since there's 6 or more players better then him in this capacity as well as the fact he doesn't bring anything out of ordinary to a team like this as he is really soft from what I remember watching him at the under 17's.. meaning he can't be placed for any other role... Invite maybe, but let's be honest 3/4 of the team is probably made by now, especially the top 8 or 9 so it's just a matter of a couple players who will fit a depth role better then others.

Depth role for this group of forwards?

I would like to know the Top 8 or 9 forwards better than Forsberg?

This team will be 3 lines offensive and another line basically made up of the same kind of players but probably asked to play a 'tiny' bit more defensively....

Don't see how Forsberg is excluded from that......

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Our first line of Drouin-Duclair-Mackinnon will kill it.... Wow is this group ever stacked and deep and good.... 95's are just amazing !!!

This! ..and 96s and 97s are also shaping up to be really good. I think we have a really great bumper crop of Canadian prospects (particularly forwards) coming up over the next few years...some of the most elite in recent memory. Should be fun to watch!

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Depth role for this group of forwards?

I would like to know the Top 8 or 9 forwards better than Forsberg?

This team will be 3 lines offensive and another line basically made up of the same kind of players but probably asked to play a 'tiny' bit more defensively....

Don't see how Forsberg is excluded from that......

Jonathan Drouin Nathan Mackinnon Hunter Garlent
Anthony Duclair Sam Reinhart Nick Ritchie
Bo Horvat Curtis Lazar Max Domi

At least to me those 9 players are ahead him when constructing a team such as this. Does it mean he's not a good player, not at all, he's a very good player in the right role, but like many before him and many that'll be like him in the future you need to bring other ingredients to the table if your not a 100% offensive dynamo and he's not even close to being that.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
What makes you think Morin is good enough to make this team? I'm not familiar with this player so much, so how's he skating? He's tall at 6,5, but he doesn't score, is a minus player...so what is he? is he a shut down D-man? I just hope he brings something to the table other than his height.

Surprisingly, Morin is a two way defender with smooth skating. He should bring more size along with Ekblad at this tournament.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
this team is going to get torched...way too much overrating going on here....;)

Sorry, this team is the greatest Canadian squad ever assembled.

Honestly, I think it could compete against a NHL lottery team.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Sorry, this team is the greatest Canadian squad ever assembled.

Honestly, I think it could compete against a NHL lottery team.

Wow…talk about overhyping 16 yo kids and putting pressure on them. Do you really think that they could beat the Edmonton Oilers, the Columbus Blue Jackets(maybe :P) or the Montreal Canadiens?

Pacioretty in front, Subban as a bull in defensive zone and Price in front of the net that is bigger than all of the kids except for Morin and Ekblad..

Calm down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad