Prospect Info: 2012-2013 Rangers Prospects Thread (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 7/3) *Part IV*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm less worried about Fast and Lindberg's ability to adapt to the NHL. Both are heady players who don't rely on the size of the rink to make their contributions. When you watch them play, they're always moving towards the net. They get to the dirty areas. The rink size becomes an issue when you have smaller players (or large ones) who like to extend the game east/west and use the width of the rink to create plays. These are straight-ahead guys who play a North/South kind of game.

I don't think Lindberg is going to win the Calder, or be a 50 point player out of the gate. However, I think he can be a viable 3rd line center who is solid defensively, good in the dot, and chips in 25 points.

Fast has always reminded me of Patric Hornqvist mixed with a little Carl Hagelin. Great in the slot and around the net, but can also make plays in open ice and pass the puck quite well. I think he'll see a decent amount of time in the AHL before being called up.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Quick question.

We have two top-9 RWs pretty entrenched for the future with Nash and Cally, yet our strength in prospects seem to also lie on the RW.

Nash could be moved to the left, but I don't see it happening. They moved Gabby, our two-time 40 goal scorer who never played on the left, to the left before they did Nash.

My question is can any of Thomas, Miller, or Fast reasonably project to play the left side? My first thought was Thomas with his nice shot would look good on his off-wing but he's always played the right side.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Quick question.

We have two top-9 RWs pretty entrenched for the future with Nash and Cally, yet our strength in prospects seem to also lie on the RW.

Nash could be moved to the left, but I don't see it happening. They moved Gabby, our two-time 40 goal scorer who never played on the left, to the left before they did Nash.

My question is can any of Thomas, Miller, or Fast reasonably project to play the left side? My first thought was Thomas with his nice shot would look good on his off-wing but he's always played the right side.

Nash can always play the left side if everything magically works out and we suddenly have a bunch of scorers on the wings. It'd be a good problem to have.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Nash scored like all but one of his goals on the right side. Why is he moving to the left? It's obvious he likes the right side better.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Quick question.

Fast and Miller can, and have played the LW. Miller actually plays all three forward positions. Thomas' go-to move is a toe-drag to the inside coming down his strong wing. I think he's likely to remain on the RW at even strength, but see PP time on the left circle. But ya never know.

Nash is ultra-effective on his off wing because he can shield the puck better when he's driving to the net. He just seems more comfortable there. Gaborik is a shooter first and foremost, so putting his forehand on the outside of the ice instead of on the inside really screwed him up.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Fast and Miller can, and have played the LW. Miller actually plays all three forward positions. Thomas' go-to move is a toe-drag to the inside coming down his strong wing. I think he's likely to remain on the RW at even strength, but see PP time on the left circle. But ya never know.

Nash is ultra-effective on his off wing because he can shield the puck better when he's driving to the net. He just seems more comfortable there. Gaborik is a shooter first and foremost, so putting his forehand on the outside of the ice instead of on the inside really screwed him up.

Zuccarello, Hagelin and Fast can all play on their off-wings. Thomas is a RW. Hrivik I believe can play both as well. Kreider is a LW.

stan the caddy

Sep 27, 2011
Boston is an interesting team. They play a lot of left handed shooters on the left wing and a lot of right handed shooters on the right. That might be part of the reason why they're so effective digging on the boards.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
im just comparing style of play, not necessarily what they will become...i feel th need to make that caveat since i know several ppl loved to jump all over you just for brining up comparisons.

"he skates like bure"
"did you just compare him to bure?!.."

"yeah....in how he skates...that it"

What I meant by the comparisons was more playing style.

I've long since given up on comparisons unless I go into extreme detail what I mean and repeat my point a few times using different words so that people grasp it.

If you say, "the car is the same color blue as the sky", I promise you the response will be, "you are an idiot. your car is like the sky? so it is up in the air? it has clouds?"

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Quick question.

Let's have all of them make the NHL first before we start moving anyone around. If all of them make it, then a trade is always possible. I doubt we have more than 2 of them make it this year anyway, and we can spot two RW rookies in the bottom-6.

MZA-Brass-Nash
Hagelin-Step-Cally
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Dorsett-Boyle-Miller
----------------------
Pyatt-Powe-Asham

BLOCKERSAVE

Jan 16, 2013
Let's have all of them make the NHL first before we start moving anyone around. If all of them make it, then a trade is always possible. I doubt we have more than 2 of them make it this year anyway, and we can spot two RW rookies in the bottom-6.

MZA-Brass-Nash
Hagelin-Step-Cally
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Dorsett-Boyle-Miller
----------------------
Pyatt-Powe-Asham

Way too many rookies in the line up.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009

MZA-Brass-Nash
Hagelin-Step-Cally
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Dorsett-Boyle-Miller
----------------------
Pyatt-Powe-Asham

Not at all saying they'll all make it this year, hence the "in the future". I don't think CT or Fast will be in the bigs this year. I do feel, however, everyone but CT has at least an 85% chance of making the show.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast

MZA-Brass-Nash
Hagelin-Step-Cally
Kreider-Lindberg-Fast
Dorsett-Boyle-Miller
----------------------
Pyatt-Powe-Asham

That top line will get abused in their own zone. Stepan and Nash need to play together, I think they showed enough chemistry last year. Brassard needs defensively reliable wingers. The whole 3rd line are rookies, and all may need time/more time in the A along with Miller. Dorsett is a RW.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Question about a bit of a dark horse candidate for a rookie. What's the report on Kyle Jean's season? Any indication he could compete for a job with the big club?

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
Nash scored like all but one of his goals on the right side. Why is he moving to the left? It's obvious he likes the right side better.

This isn't that complicated:

A) This only happens in the scenario where all of the aforementioned prospects make it.

B) Nash has spent a substantial portion of his career playing LW. Unlike Gaborik, Nash can be effective on either side.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
This isn't that complicated:

A) This only happens in the scenario where all of the aforementioned prospects make it.

B) Nash has spent a substantial portion of his career playing LW. Unlike Gaborik, Nash can be effective on either side.

Right. He just so happens to be more effective on the right side.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
This happens regularly with players coming from college. He ran out of gas.

I've seen a few people speculate that was the problem, but I'm not so sure. He had nine points his first seven games, and then just 14 his final 66. He basically had three good weeks before falling off a cliff! That's awfully quick for a guy to be hitting the wall.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I was under the impression he under impressed after a good camp and strong start. Really came back down to earth.

This happens regularly with players coming from college. He ran out of gas.

I've seen a few people speculate that was the problem, but I'm not so sure. He had nine points his first seven games, and then just 14 his final 66. He basically had three good weeks before falling off a cliff! That's awfully quick for a guy to be hitting the wall.

Do you guys get the feeling he could develop into an NHLer or no?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Question about a bit of a dark horse candidate for a rookie. What's the report on Kyle Jean's season? Any indication he could compete for a job with the big club?

He had a hot start, but was a borderline ECHLer towards the end. Won't compete for an NHL spot, not even close.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Nash can always play the left side if everything magically works out and we suddenly have a bunch of scorers on the wings. It'd be a good problem to have.

I highly doubt any (def not all) of these guys will ever compare to Rick Nash offensively. I don't know that any competent coach is going to move his best scorer out of his position to accommodate others.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
According to what? Do you have numbers to back that up, or are you just making that claim based on the fact that he did well there last year?

I'm considering the fact that basically all of his goals were scored from the right side of the net.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
I highly doubt any (def not all) of these guys will ever compare to Rick Nash offensively. I don't know that any competent coach is going to move his best scorer out of his position to accommodate others.

His position is winger. He has played a ton on both sides in his career.

I'm considering the fact that basically all of his goals were scored from the right side of the net.

Again, do you have actual numbers to back that up? Second, if so is that causation or is that correlation? Torts played him on the right side this year so that's where he scored goals. Given the amount of time he has spent on the left side in his career, I don't see any reason why he also couldn't perform there if needed.

Just because Torts didn't use him there last season doesn't mean it's not an option. I don't understand why Miller is being talked about as a right wing though when they've been bringing him along as a center. Fast can also play either side.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad