2011 NHL Draft: Winnipeg Jets started tradition of strong drafting

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
adam_lowry_winnipeg_100915.jpg
Photo: Winnipeg Jets forward Adam Lowry struggled in his sophomore campaign but has already provided the Jets with great value from a third-round pick (courtesy of Rich Graessle/Icon Sportswire)

</p>The 2011 NHL Draft was the unveiling of the Winnipeg Jets 2.0. After yet another of many subpar seasons in Atlanta, the Jets were awarded with the 7th overall pick.

The Thrashers did trade away their second round pick as well as Ivan Vishnevskiy to the Chicago Blackhawks for Andrew Ladd. The Blackhawks used the pick to select Adam Clendening.

On draft day, the Jets would trade away the 132nd overall pick (Sean Kuraly) and the 193rd overall pick (Colin Blackwell) to the San Jose Sharks for the 118th overall pick, which they used to select Zach Yuen.… read more

The post 2011 NHL Draft: Winnipeg Jets started tradition of strong drafting appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
So, 2011 is an example of a strong draft? I don't know. Sure, we hit one out of the park with Scheifele. But Lowry I'm thinking was a weak single and I can see him getting picked off before he reaches third. The rest of the bunch either struck out or tripped and injured themselves coming out of the dugout.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
So, 2011 is an example of a strong draft? I don't know. Sure, we hit one out of the park with Scheifele. But Lowry I'm thinking was a weak single and I can see him getting picked off before he reaches third. The rest of the bunch either struck out or tripped and injured themselves coming out of the dugout.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00010675.html

Everything after Lowry in 2011 was a swing and a miss.

I would say our best draft to date was 2013 by a significant amount when we snagged Morrissey, Comrie, Petan, Copp and a few more semi interesting prospects.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If you think about it in 2011 they were just getting things started. Sure we missed out on Gaudreau, Palat, Shaw, etc, but I can't see those guys being good fits at the time. Scheifele and Lowry was as good as we got, and we were still learning; but I still wonder if we had a 2nd that year who we would've taken. The next season the scouting had gotten stronger and powerful, but the only miss was on Sutter.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The 2011 draft was run by the Atlanta scouts without a lot of involvement from the new management. Scheifele was a great pick. Lowry's good value for 67th overall. The rest are never going to make the NHL. 2 NHLers out of a draft is decent though. I think the Jets are on track to get at least that out of 2011, 2012 (Trouba, Hellebuyck), and 2013 (Copp, Morrissey, Petan). It's a bit early to say for 2014 and 2015 - but Ehlers and Connor look like blue chips from those years at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad