2009-10 HFNHL Awards Voting

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Gents, it is time to cast your mighty vote, for the 2009-10 HFNHL Awards!

First off, the HFNHL is proud to announce the following award winners from the 2009-10 season (some still to come following tomorrow's conclusion).

- President's Trophy (points leader, regular season): New York Islanders (118 points)
- Art Ross trophy (top scorer, regular season): TIE Marian Gaborik - New York Islanders & Evgeni Malkin - Vancouver Canucks (90 points)
- Maurice Richard trophy (most goals, regular season): Marian Gaborik - New York Islanders (41 goals)
- William Jennings Trophy (goalies sharing lowest GAA, regular season): Martin Brodeur and Carey Price - Vancouver Canucks (2.29 GAA)

Now on to the voting process...

We are now taking nominations for the remaining trophies to be awarded, which are detailed below. Please take some time to review the season records and then vote for who you feel is the most deserving of the awards. The catch is that you cannot vote for someone from your own team. Winners are determined based on most votes received.

Please do a little research and submit your votes by 11:59 PM EST (GMT -5) on Wednesday, May 5. Nominations should be submitted by e-mail to [email protected] with the heading "HFNHL Award Votes: Team Name". Results will be announced promptly after voting ends.

Those teams whose players or staff receive awards earn $250,000 for each honor received... but ONLY if that team participates in the voting process!

The awards are as follows:

- Steve Wright Memorial Trophy (top GM, named in memory of the late GM of the HFNHL Ottawa Senators)
- Calder Memorial Trophy (top rookie, regular season)
- Jack Adams Trophy (best coach)
- Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP, regular season)
- Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (most gentlemanly player, regular season)
- James Norris Trophy (top defenceman, regular season)
- Frank J. Selke Trophy (top defensive forward, regular season)
- Georges Vezina Trophy (top goalie, regular season)
- Mark Messier Leadership Award (Best captain, regular season)
- 1st team HFNHL All-Stars (3 forwards, 2 defensemen, 1 goalie)

Obviously, the Stanley Cup, Prince of Wales, and Clarence Campbell trophies will be handed out following the playoffs. Also, the Conn Smythe will be voted on after the playoffs.

Now to the fun part. Award junkies, start your pitches!

Award Votes Received From:
VAN
NYI
SJ
CAR
NSH
COL
DAL
MTL
FLA
STL
CGY
ANA
PHX
PHI
TBL
ATL
BOS
NYR
PIT
CBJ
DET
EDM
LAK
MIN
CHI

Award Votes Not Received From:
NJ
BUF
OTT
TOR
WSH

Last edited:

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Jennings Trophy is already decided - congrats to Vancouver's Martin Brodeur and Carey Price, who beat out my own duo of Pekka Rinne and Yann Danis by allowing three fewer goals on the season. Kudos, Sean!
Posted via Mobile Device

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
-named in memory of the late GM of the HFNHL Ottawa Senators

This has always bothered me and is probably a dumb question. I remember him being in the league but thought he was kicked out. My question is, the word late implies dead. He didn't die, did he? If he didn't shouldn't we use the word former instead of late?

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
-named in memory of the late GM of the HFNHL Ottawa Senators

This has always bothered me and is probably a dumb question. I remember him being in the league but thought he was kicked out. My question is, the word late implies dead. He didn't die, did he? If he didn't shouldn't we use the word former instead of late?

He went AWOL and later we realized that he passed away.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Hasnain's correct. His brother, Nick (Florida Panthers) was kicked out while Steve was still involved with the league as Asst. Commish and President (co-GM?) of the Buffalo Sabres. Then we didn't hear from Steve for awhile and I got word from a third party that he'd passed.

So he's still "Late". I'm sure he'd be proud of everything Josh has done with the Sabres.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Maybe it's just me, but I would suggest the deadline for voting be moved up. I don't know why we would need almost two weeks to vote on these things. I find these large periods of time just lead people to put it off and then forget until that very last day. MOreover, a shorter time frame means playoff results will be less likely to influence voting.

Just my 0.02$.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Hasnain's correct. His brother, Nick (Florida Panthers) was kicked out while Steve was still involved with the league as Asst. Commish and President (co-GM?) of the Buffalo Sabres. Then we didn't hear from Steve for awhile and I got word from a third party that he'd passed.

So he's still "Late". I'm sure he'd be proud of everything Josh has done with the Sabres.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is true. I believe Steve started as GM of Ottawa. After a couple seasons, he left the league. He came back after a little while and served as GM (co-GM?) of Buffalo. Not long after that, he passed away.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
potential award candidates from the Rangers....

GM: Sean Gaffney
First of all, there are a lot of great candidates this year. The Rangers had a season above many people's expectations - a playoff berth and a 99 point season.

Coach: Andy Murray
Under the direction of Murray, the Rangers made the playoffs for the second consecutive season. He made the most of a roster that many considered too soft and with a mediocre group on defense.

Vezina: Tim Thomas
Thomas was a workhorse, playing in 72 of 82 games. Put the Rangers on his back and brought them back to the playoffs. 37-24-7 record and among the league leaders in sv% (.910) and GAA (2.47).

Lady Byng: Pierre-Marc Bouchard
PMB should be one of the leading candidates for Lady Byng. Played in all 82 games, scored 20 goals, had 45 total points, and only SIX PIM (!). Also managed to be a +4 on the season.

Last edited:

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Flames Award candidates:

GM: Matthew Kershaw: While it's already been noted there are better candidates, but the Flames made some strides this year to build on last year. They improved by 25 points.

Coach: Brent Sutter: see the above notes

Vezina: Nik Backstrom: 3rd in the league in GAA, 3rd in the league in SV%, 2nd in the league in shut-outs, in the top ten in wins, all while playing significantly fewer games than those around him (often by 10 games...). Most importantly he was 12-3 down the stretch when the Flames were looking like their playoff appearance was in danger.

HFNHLOilers

Dec 13, 2008
Brampton
I actually do have some Canditates well one is a long Shot

Lady Byng Memorial Trophy Derek Roy

He had a 73 point season played top line and recored 6 pims in 82 Games played lower than any top line player in the league

Calder Memorial trophy Roman Polak

He played 2 second line minutes Recorded 19points and was the only plus on the Stars defense core

Mark Messier Leadership Award Johnathan Toews

71 points plus 17 only 24 pims and playing 2second line minutes Toews became captin late in the season not long after the Stars went hot and helped push them to the playoffs

Last edited:

Wildman

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Candidate from New York Islanders

Steve Wright Memorial Trophy: Hasnain Jessa

After a miserable 2009 with 59 points, General Manager made some calculated moves and it paid off with the team winning the President trophy and the team doubled the points total from to 118 points. The GM also was top 3 in line submission.

Hart Memorial Trophy: Marian Gaborik

Marian Gaborik is tied in points total with 90 and leads the league in goals with 41 and has the best point per 20 minutes played of 1.4 points. All this was accomplished in 74 games.

Jack Adams Trophy: John Stevens

After having a mediocre pre season, the team made a coaching change and brought in John Stevens. The team never looked back and all four lines were contributing to their success. The defense which was questionable by many proved that with good coaching anything is possible.

James Norris Trophy: Sheldon Souray

Recorded 3rd best offensive number with 63 points in 81 games. The back end offensive quarter back of the team which resulted in New York Islanders leading the league in power play goals.

Calder Memorial Trophy: Kyle Okoposo

Led the league in plus/minus with 42 and was 3rd in rookie scoring with 64 points. At the beginning of the season, Kyle was slotted on 4th line with less than 10 minutes per game. However, by the end of the season he was occupying 2nd line RW.

Last edited:

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Candidates from the Canucks:

Vezina - Martin Brodeur

He won the Jennings and he would be a worthy recipient of the Vezina too. First in GAA (2.18), tied for second in SV% (.911), first in shutouts (11), 44 wins, the numbers are all there. Brodeur was foundation of the Canucks all year.

The only guy ahead in SV% is Cam Ward, but if you look closely that appears to be a statistical glitch as a result of LA playing "Aa Abeachball" early in the year. I don't understand it, but only 229 goals against can be accounted for in LA among goalies showing up on their roster, but they gave up 267. It just seems wrong that starting goalie for the team that gave up the fourth most goals in the league has such good numbers. One of you mathematically inclined types could probably explain it better than me.

Hart - Evgeni Malkin

The only major trophy Geno doesn't have in the NHL is the one he deserves in the HFNHL this year. Tied with Gaborik for the Art Ross, I think Malkin needs credit for going almost start to finish leading the way, and really not having one single hot streak that propelled him forward. He was a +36 and has been in the 30s for most of the second half, while being the key to maybe the best line in the league.

Honestly, a similar argument could be made for Brodeur from the Canucks. It depends on whether you look at the Canucks as an offensive (second in the league in goals) or defensive (first in the league in goals against) team.

Selke - Eric Staal

This is a hard trophy to vote on, particularly when nobody in the league scored more than 2 short-handed goals. I nominate Staal because he is the best defensive player on the best defensive team in the league. Staal is a +34, played all year on the first PK unit for the the best PK team in the league, and was the defensive conscience on a first line with Malkin and Mike Ribeiro.

Staal would also be a Lady Byng candidate, having put up 14 PIMs despite playing key and hard minutes all year. I have even less idea how to make that case in a sim league though.

Jack Adams - Jacques Lemaire

There is a lot of firepower on the Canucks, so to get them to play as disciplined defensively as Lemaire did was impressive. A couple teams had more points, but the hard numbers for the Canucks are just incredible. Second in goals for, first in goals against, first in goal differential, second in powerplay, first in penalty kill, first in special team differential, second in shot differential. When the club struggled mid-season, he pushed the right buttons and the club took off.

I personally believe John Tortorella probably should be the Jack Adams winner in our league, but if you want an alternative, maybe because you hate Emilio Estevez and the Mighty Ducks, go with Lemaire.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Florida Panthers Award Hopefuls

Steve Wright Memorial Trophy - Brock Otten
One of the defending Wright trophy champions, Otten improved his club's record even more this season, jumping from 98 points to 109 this year, again claiming the South East Division. Some shrewd off season and in seaso moves worked out well.

Jack Adams - Todd McLellan
Again, the Panthers continued their winning ways this season, even playing better than last year and much of that success falls on the shoulders of McLellan and his strong attitude and philosophy.

Lady Byng - Tom Gilbert
Gilbert was the best defenseman for one of the league's top defensive teams this season. He managed to finish among the league leaders in plus minus (+34), and had 43 points. However, he also finished the season with only 15 penalty minutes! Considering the amount of minutes he played, that's pretty remarkable.

Frank Selke - Shawn Horcoff
Horcoff was the leading scorer for the Panthers this season with 77 points (top 5 for his position), and finished top 10 in assists (50). But he was also a +26 while playing significant minutes and was a fixture on the Panthers penalty kill this season.

Mark Messier - Shane Doan
Doan had another great year for the Panthers. As he rugged captain of one of the top teams in the East, Doan was top 10 in the league in game winning goals and helped the team to it's best record under General Manager Brock Otten.

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Hurricanes Award Hopefuls

LADY BYNG ERIC FEHR - In 88 games played this year as a rookie Eric accummulated just 22 penalty minutes. On average he took just a penalty ever 8 games. He also played a very well as a rookie scoring 19 goals and adding 30 assists for 49 pts.

NORRIS TROPHY DION PHANEUF - Dion played in 82 games this year scoring 17 goals and adding 44 assists for a total of 61 points. Also while playing for one of the weakest teams in the entire league was voted as a starter for the all star game. His 299 hits ranked 2nd in the HFNHL and his 122 blocked shots placed him 10th in the league. He was 4th in the HFNHL in minutes played averaging 23 minutes and 34 seconds of ice time per game. His point total placed him 4th amongst defenseman and was 3rd amongst defenseman in goals.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
Anaheim Ducks Award Hopefuls

Jack Adams Trophy - John Tortorella

Even the legendary Gordon Bombay would have to bow to Torts after the job he did with the Ducks this season. With a roster completely devoid of stars - no individual Duck skater really bears mentioning for 1st All-Star Team consideration - Tortorella basically managed to keep his team at the top of the league's tough Western Conference from start to finish. For 82 games, Tortorella pulled the right strings and kept his group at or very close to the top of all of the league's Team Stats categories, finishing 3rd in Goals For/Against Ratio, 2nd in Combined PP + PK, and tied for 6th in Shots For/Against Ratio. While the Ducks had a deep group of skaters, no individual skater possessed an OV higher than 73. You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of "team success", and for that a ton of credit must go to the coach.

Steve Wright Memorial Trophy - Matt Gledhill

Somebody had to set the table for Tortorella, and that's the GM. For starters, Gledhill managed to improve his team's record by 43 points this season. However, the achievement that Gledhill likes to hang his hat on is fact that this improvement came with a $41M pro payroll. When necessary, Gledhill has been willing to make the tough choices on letting some veterans go, while also recognizing the value in some less-than-marquee names. In addition, Gledhill never got carried away with his team's success this season. Instead, he showed a steady, veteran hand, supplementing his lineup with a few moves here and there, but always trying to stay with players that would fit Tortorella's mold.

Vezina Trophy - Pekka Rinne

Really, this award belongs to the Ducks' team defense. However, Rinne's numbers are what they are - .910 SV%, 2.38 GAA, and a league-leading 48 wins. In addition, Rinne was the league's best goalie against penalty shots this season, which translated into the Ducks NEVER losing a game that went to shoot-out.

Lady Byng Trophy - Paul Martin

Finishing the season with 49 points and 123 shots blocked, defenseman Martin was the lone Duck skater to regularly appear on the "Individual Stats" leaderboard. Relied upon to play a major role in all game situations, Martin amazingly finished the season with a grand total of 4 penalty minutes to his name.

Last edited:

Lord Stanley

Revoluccion Leader
Feb 24, 2003
In your head
revoluccionsoup.sauna.ca
Jack Adams Trophy - John Tortorella

Even the legendary Gordon Bombay would have to bow to Torts after the job he did with the Ducks this season. With a roster completely devoid of stars - no individual Duck skater really bears mentioning for 1st All-Star Team consideration - Tortorella basically managed to keep his team at the top of the league's tough Western Conference from start to finish. For 82 games, Tortorella pulled the right strings and kept his group at or very close to the top of all of the league's Team Stats categories, finishing 3rd in Goals For/Against Ratio, 2nd in Combined PP + PK, and tied for 6th in Shots For/Against Ratio. While the Ducks had a deep group of skaters, no individual skater possessed an OV higher than 73. You'd be hard pressed to find a better example of "team success", and for that a ton of credit must go to the coach.

Steve Wright Memorial Trophy - Matt Gledhill

Somebody had to set the table for Tortorella, and that's the GM. For starters, Gledhill managed to improve his team's record by 43 points this season. However, the achievement that Gledhill likes to hang his hat on is fact that this improvement came with a $41M pro payroll. When necessary, Gledhill has been willing to make the tough choices on letting some veterans go, while also recognizing the value in some less-than-marquee names. In addition, Gledhill never got carried away with his team's success this season. Instead, he showed a steady, veteran hand, supplementing his lineup with a few moves here and there, but always trying to stay with players that would fit Tortorella's mold.

Vezina Trophy - Pekka Rinne

Really, this award belongs to the Ducks' team defense. However, Rinne's numbers are what they are - .910 SV%, 2.38 GAA, and a league-leading 48 wins. In addition, Rinne was the league's best goalie against penalty shots this season, which translated into the Ducks NEVER losing a game that went to shoot-out.

I believe Rinne is also eligable for the Calder trophy, not that I want to pimp somebody else's players.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I believe Rinne is also eligable for the Calder trophy, not that I want to pimp somebody else's players.

Unfortunately, while Rinne is listed as a rookie on the Ducks roster, he actually appeared in 26 games last year (mostly after Khabibulin got yanked!), thus making him ineligible for the Calder.
Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Another awards candidate for the Rangers...

Lady Byng: Pierre-Marc Bouchard
PMB should be one of the leading candidates for Lady Byng. Played in all 82 games, scored 20 goals, had 45 total points, and only SIX PIM (!). Also managed to be a +4 on the season.

Canuck09

Jul 4, 2004
Vancouver
The Oilers only have one nomination to make...

Lady Byng: Martin Havlat
The discussion should start and end with Havlat for this award. He lead the Oilers in goals with 35, points with 65, played in all 82 games and had 2 PIM. Yes that's right, 2 PIM...in 82 games.

steve actually was GM of the Sabres when i arrived in late 2001. he put together the first peices of the team when it had nothing going for it, and that started with Miller and Zetterberg, and a draft class that netted Chistov, Komisarek, Marcel Goc, Fedor Tyutin and late rounder Kyle Wellwood. unfortunately he convinced me to say no to swapping a 2nd rounder for an up and coming young russian at the time that I was pretty high on.....you may know him, Pavel Datsyuk? :cry:

just before the 02 Draft Steve took the opportunity to jump to a winner where he want to the Sens for a while....I believe he won the cup with them before disappearing? but always a very nice guy when talking to him.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Is there an award for total failure? The Avs would like to be nominated for that!

The Dan Cloutier Award for "Excellence" ? :)

I wouldn't consider the Avs a total failure. There are a lot of other teams that had worse seasons and are in way worse shape going into next season.... and those teams didn't take home a cup a year ago.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
steve actually was GM of the Sabres when i arrived in late 2001. he put together the first peices of the team when it had nothing going for it, and that started with Miller and Zetterberg, and a draft class that netted Chistov, Komisarek, Marcel Goc, Fedor Tyutin and late rounder Kyle Wellwood. unfortunately he convinced me to say no to swapping a 2nd rounder for an up and coming young russian at the time that I was pretty high on.....you may know him, Pavel Datsyuk? :cry:

just before the 02 Draft Steve took the opportunity to jump to a winner where he want to the Sens for a while....I believe he won the cup with them before disappearing? but always a very nice guy when talking to him.

Ah, I think you're right. I had it backwards. He was with Buffalo first, then eventually ended up running the Ottawa team.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site

The Sens cup win in 2003-04 was under Keith Fernandes, that much I remember. I don't think the personnel changed dramatically under Keith, but he worked hard on the finances.

Default101

Phoenix has one realistic nomination. And it is for the Calder Trophy

Steve Mason, despite Phoenix being a weak team Mason somehow carried the team, as a rookie goaltender, likely the toughest position to come into a league and he put up 29 Wins, 4 shutouts, 2.96GAA and .905 SV%

Certainly not Vezina worthy, but with this rookie crop, and the team Mason had playing infront of him Mason's achievements have been outstanding, and have allowed Phoenix to play spoiler and make things difficult for other teams. Mason deserves this recognition for his performances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad