2008 HFNHL Draft - Rounds 4-7

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Nice jobb and very fast. One question though, with my pick in the 6th round Johan Harju from Sweden was highest on my list. He was not picked earlier in the draft but I ended up with a Swiss defenseman. Could you please exchange him for Johan Harju?

Martin, Harju is 1986 born and thus ineligible for the draft. For the 2008 entry draft, North American players born 1988-1990 are eligible, and European players born 1987-1990 are eligible.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Martin, Harju is 1986 born and thus ineligible for the draft. For the 2008 entry draft, North American players born 1988-1990 are eligible, and European players born 1987-1990 are eligible.

Thank you. My misstake, I was almost sure that players born in 86 could be drafted this year, I should have done my homework better. I guess I will wait and sign him as a free agent down the line.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Wow, timing and BPA are a *****. Out of 8 picks, I seem to have drafted another 6 forwards, most of them small, to go with my picks of Boychuk, Sauve and Petersson earlier in the draft. Talk about little-guy overload! :help:

Nice of Nick to walk away with both Gratchev and Kugryshev in the 4th, that has to be considered a double-steal. I thought we only saw those in baseball!

Thanks for all that work, Brock - nice thing to be able to do to get excited on draft day, but I know what a headache it can be. Mucho appreciado!

I had the same luck. Three 4ths and a 5th...all ended up being d-men. That being said, I really like Gaulton, Demers and Warsofsky, so at least those seem good.

Default101

this draft had it's fruturating points, i had trivino locked at 29th, got picked at 28, i had Arniel locked at 49th, got picked at 48th, i had rust locked at 160th, got picked at 159th lol. so that is somethign i may need to look at years from now who turned out better toews, livingston and murphy or trivino, arniel and rust. either way happy with the way it went, can't believe with 9 picks i didnt take a single defenceman in this draft

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Thank you. My misstake, I was almost sure that players born in 86 could be drafted this year, I should have done my homework better. I guess I will wait and sign him as a free agent down the line.

Well it looks like someone else should have done their homework better, Martin.

Harju is eligible...for the HFNHL.

The eligibility rule in the NHL is that European eligibility spans four years, birth years 1987-1990.

The eligibility, for some reason unknown to me, our eligibility for Euro's spans five years, from 1986-1990.

So while it doesn't make a whole lick of sense to me, for us to follow the NHL's draft eligibility on North American players, and not European players, I'm going to have to give you Harju.

Fixing this, is actually going to be fairly easy. Your last 7th rounder, Stefan Espelund was not on anyone else's draft list (at least not high enough to draft), and Harju was nowhere to be seen on anyone else's draft list (I suspect because they believed the same eligibility as myself) meaning Harju will replace Espelund as your 7th rounder. Sean, could you go ahead and remove Espelund from Tampa's prospect list and add Johan Harju.

So this brings me to a few things to consider. I vote that starting next year, we should be following the NHL's draft eligibility. After all, we emulate every other aspect of the NHL and its draft ideals, why would we have one thing so drastically different. So for any future drafts, draft eligibility for NA remains a span of three birth years, while Euro eligibility would be shifted to the NHL's four birth year span. Anyone else agree?

Also, Sean could you update the Entry Draft rules in our actual rulebook? They appear to be somewhat out of date, with a lot of important information missing. The rules and information listed on that draft instructions thing should really go in the official rulebook.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I'd have no issue with that. I thought it said 86 in the rules I'd posted, which were just an updating of the rules from previous years, but I didn't realize that they were inconsistent with the NHL window. Now we know. And knowing is half the battle!

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Tough break for the HFNHL Blackhawks... looks like David Carle (their 4th round pick) has retired from hockey prior to the NHL draft due to a heart condition.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008/06/21_younger.php

EDIT - Apparently NHL Tampa didn't get the memo. They picked up Carle in the 7th round anyway.

Actually, the new owners said they did that on purpose...they felt that the kid spent his whole life preparing in the hopes of being drafted that it was worth a 7th rounder to make it happen.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Actually, the new owners said they did that on purpose...they felt that the kid spent his whole life preparing in the hopes of being drafted that it was worth a 7th rounder to make it happen.

Yeah, I actually heard that a few minutes after I made that post. Sounds like they are going to give him an off-ice opportunity with the organization as well. Classy move.

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Well it looks like someone else should have done their homework better, Martin.

Harju is eligible...for the HFNHL.

The eligibility rule in the NHL is that European eligibility spans four years, birth years 1987-1990.

The eligibility, for some reason unknown to me, our eligibility for Euro's spans five years, from 1986-1990.

So while it doesn't make a whole lick of sense to me, for us to follow the NHL's draft eligibility on North American players, and not European players, I'm going to have to give you Harju.

Fixing this, is actually going to be fairly easy. Your last 7th rounder, Stefan Espelund was not on anyone else's draft list (at least not high enough to draft), and Harju was nowhere to be seen on anyone else's draft list (I suspect because they believed the same eligibility as myself) meaning Harju will replace Espelund as your 7th rounder. Sean, could you go ahead and remove Espelund from Tampa's prospect list and add Johan Harju.

So this brings me to a few things to consider. I vote that starting next year, we should be following the NHL's draft eligibility. After all, we emulate every other aspect of the NHL and its draft ideals, why would we have one thing so drastically different. So for any future drafts, draft eligibility for NA remains a span of three birth years, while Euro eligibility would be shifted to the NHL's four birth year span. Anyone else agree?

Also, Sean could you update the Entry Draft rules in our actual rulebook? They appear to be somewhat out of date, with a lot of important information missing. The rules and information listed on that draft instructions thing should really go in the official rulebook.

Thank you Brock! Now I atleast got one decent player in the hfnhl draft :) Just have to use a high pick next year for espeland though :)

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
Thank you Brock! Now I atleast got one decent player in the hfnhl draft :) Just have to use a high pick next year for espeland though :)

Could someone please remove Stefan Espeland and add Johan Harju among my prospects? Harju has 11 points in 12 games in the SEL so far this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad