2008 draft class has yielded little for Chicago Blackhawks

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

Of the seven selections made by the Chicago Blackhawks in 2008, only sixth-round pick Ben Smith has seen any time with the NHL club. Several prospects remain in the minor league system and college level, but none of them are surefire NHL prospects at this point in their careers.

The Blackhawks selected five defensemen in the draft, two from the junior level, one from Sweden, and two more headed towards the NCAA route. While the college defenders are still playing at the NCAA level and will both be eligible for pro contracts following this season, none of the other three defensive picks have turned out to be more than marginal AHL players at best so far in their career.… read more

More...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
None of those guys should have really been expected to be anything except Beach and it isn't over yet. Lalonde a high 3rd, didn't get better, it happens.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
we was drafted almost 5 years ago and didn't even warrant an invite to camp.

I didn't say it was going well but as long as he is in the organization and still hasn't played an NHL game yet, it isn't over yet. He is a power forward afterall. It probably will not work out but then again, he could play on any line so let's wait and see. Mike Rupp was a big time bust but I'd love to have him on our team.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
That year's 2nd went in the Havlat trade I think.
The 4th went to trade up for Lalonde.

I wonder if Bowman resigns Beach or not.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
I still remember being at prospect camp and having a discussion about how Beach was a bust and would never make it a couple years ago. There was some guy that went each day I did that seemed like he was really into Rockford and the Hawks. Every time I would go on about how dissapointed I was in Beach, he and his daughter would laugh. Well, guess I should laugh at them now since I was right.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Beach is an official bust at this point. Tallon was awesome at trading but terrible at drafting and managing the cap.

CapitalistInfidel

Jan 7, 2013
I'm more concerned about the 2010 draft. In 2008 Beach was the only pick in the top 2 rounds so we pretty much had all our eggs in one basket. But 2010, what's going on with those players? I guess K. Hayes is doing ok in college but what ever happened to Ludvig Rensfeldt? Holl and Johns were touted as good d-men but I haven't heard much about either one. Is Kent Simpson doing well in goal wherever he's playing? Flick is the only one I believe playing in Rockford from the 2010 draft.

Sevanston

Dec 27, 2009
NYC
I'm more concerned about the 2010 draft. In 2008 Beach was the only pick in the top 2 rounds so we pretty much had all our eggs in one basket. But 2010, what's going on with those players? I guess K. Hayes is doing ok in college but what ever happened to Ludvig Rensfeldt? Holl and Johns were touted as good d-men but I haven't heard much about either one. Is Kent Simpson doing well in goal wherever he's playing? Flick is the only one I believe playing in Rockford from the 2010 draft.

Kevin Hayes is the leading scorer on his line at BC (their 4th leading scorer overall)

The Hawks no longer have the rights to Rensfeldt. They let him go to Sweden's minor league last summer.

Johns is a top pairing defenseman at Notre Dame.

I haven't checked on Holl in a while, but last I checked, he was bouncing around Minnesota's lineup as they tried to find a place for him to fit after he was squeezed off their blue line's depth chart.

Kent Simpson is playing poorly in the ECHL. He's a first year pro, so he might turn it around, but I doubt it.

Nordstrom is still Hawks' property, having signed a contract last year, but I don't know what the plan is for him.

Mattson had a bumpy start to the season in North Dakota, but now he's back on track. He's been one of their better defensemen since he arrived. Also was the USHL defenseman of the year the season before he jumped to NCAA hockey.

Carruth is on fire in his overage year in the WHL. He also plays on a powerhouse team though, so that might be inflating his stats a little bit.

The 2010 draft doesn't look great, but I'm not worried about it yet.

Nothingman*

I watch the Gopher games since I live here. Holl has been nothing special on the number one ranked team in the country. He has bounced from D to W this year for some reason.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
None of those guys should have really been expected to be anything except Beach and it isn't over yet. Lalonde a high 3rd, didn't get better, it happens.

Sorry but that is just BS logic ,, Guess teams should just stop drafting after 1st round right?

2008 was absolute failure ,, Just like almost all of Dale Tallon's draft picks

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I watch the Gopher games since I live here. Holl has been nothing special on the number one ranked team in the country. He has bounced from D to W this year for some reason.

Never a good sign with a D-man prospect.

RomersWorld*

Yeah, Holl is a long shot. I tried telling people this summer how unimpressive he was when I watched him play a bunch of times at Minnesota last year. He can't even make the top 6 defenseman of a college team. Granted, they are extremely stacked but what a terrible 2nd round pick...just like Rensfeldt. Simpson has also been brutal.

That 2010 draft is all up to Johns and Hayes IMO. Nordstrom is looking positive as well, but when you have 5 top 60 picks and you draft 3 busts like Simpson, Rensfeldt, and Holl....well, that is brutal. I do like Hayes but he is far away and needs to learn to be more of a two way player and more a team player(aka backchecking harder). He does have a lot of offensive skill though. I love Johns as well but he has been reluctant to sign with Chicago it seems. He is AHL ready now and I love watching him play. He is PERFECT for what we need right now. He is a good skater, can move the puck, is good defensively, good size and physical. He can do everything...so hopefully he continues to improve.

Martini*

To Beach's defense, he lost a year of development. Personally, I dont think he will amount to anything, but I wont throw in the towel just yet after the lightweights have left to Hawks TC and he gets some minutes in the Rock.

He will be an NHL'er, same as Lalonde, just not with the Hawks.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Holl has been a healthy scratch and used at forward. Quite the find.

Tallon takes the ultimate heat but its the Hawks draft brain trust are behind the failed picks. Wonder how many are still around now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad