2008 Born for the 2024 OHL Draft

Puckluk

Apr 14, 2024
Could anyone provide insight into the process for overagers that are drafted with U16? I had no idea this happened until last weekend but then would have thought U18 would be where that would take place.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Could anyone provide insight into the process for overagers that are drafted with U16? I had no idea this happened until last weekend but then would have thought U18 would be where that would take place.
Players outside of U18 have to be put on the OHL draft list by one team to be eligible.

Reactions: Puckluk

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
U18 draft is for u18 aaa registered players. Any undrafted 08 in jr b or tier 2 would go into the main draft, but would have to be added by teams

Reactions: Puckluk

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Teams are permitted tenders in lieu of 1st & 2nd round picks? There must be a dozen 2024 USHL tenders, possibly more to sign prior to their draft.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
your suggesting that kawajah and edwards signed tenders to go to owen sound and sarnia, i have my doubts on that, and thats 40 percent of the tenders.

Would you say that Owen Sound and Sarnia are franchises that most high-end players want to avoid right now? Not really familiar with the strength or desirability of franchises in the OHL (yes, I know London and Kitchener reign supreme) but a scout from NeutralZone did state that there is a wide divergence between franchises so I'm wondering who those franchises are.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Would you say that Owen Sound and Sarnia are franchises that most high-end players want to avoid right now? Not really familiar with the strength or desirability of franchises in the OHL (yes, I know London and Kitchener reign supreme) but a scout from NeutralZone did state that there is a wide divergence between franchises so I'm wondering who those franchises are.
not really, just not known for 'cooked deals'. sarnia can with american players, but rarely with ontario kids.

london deosnt even really pull that many us kids anymore or play too many games, kitchener is the new team that plays games the most.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
What's your feeling on Fitzgerald? Is the hometown pull enough to get him out of his USHL tender? Or is he solidly committed to Green Bay?

Same goes for Malhotra, is he solidly committed to Chilliwack, or is his more about trying to force his way to Guelph?

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
What's your feeling on Fitzgerald? Is the hometown pull enough to get him out of his USHL tender? Or is he solidly committed to Green Bay?

Same goes for Malhotra, is he solidly committed to Chilliwack, or is his more about trying to force his way to Guelph?

Just going from what I read and heard from some scouts (I'm in no way an insider nor want to give the impression that I know anything first hand of either player) but it seems like Fitzgerald is likely to sign with Peterborough but (and this is according to what some posters who appear to be in the know on Kingston's thread) Malhotra is firmly committed to Chilliwack and the NCAA route.

Krangers08

Sep 11, 2023
Just going from what I read and heard from some scouts (I'm in no way an insider nor want to give the impression that I know anything first hand of either player) but it seems like Fitzgerald is likely to sign with Peterborough but (and this is according to what some posters who appear to be in the know on Kingston's thread) Malhotra is firmly committed to Chilliwack and the NCAA route.
Malhotra flew out to BC to drop the puck the other night.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
i wouldnt be so sure on fitgerald, but if anyone has a shot, i would bet its green bay at the start of the season, but anything can happen.

i think kingston took malholta thinking that there was some cooked deal with guelph, but i dont think there is, so they are kinda screwed right now. itll be like hage, they will have to move him just to get a pick back for pennies on the dollar.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
i wouldnt be so sure on fitgerald, but if anyone has a shot, i would bet its green bay at the start of the season, but anything can happen.

i think kingston took malholta thinking that there was some cooked deal with guelph, but i dont think there is, so they are kinda screwed right now. itll be like hage, they will have to move him just to get a pick back for pennies on the dollar.
Curious to know what you heard on Fitzgerald...story I heard was that he was open to the OHL but would not report to Sarnia....I would be really surprised if he turns down his hometown team but I don't know anyone who is close to the situation and your sources are better than my guesses.

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018
Curious to know what you heard on Fitzgerald...story I heard was that he was open to the OHL but would not report to Sarnia....I would be really surprised if he turns down his hometown team but I don't know anyone who is close to the situation and your sources are better than my guesses.
This photo was posted in the Petes thread earlier on the week. I believe this is a camp run by Petes coaches. Obviously this doesn’t mean he’s going to report but he’s at a camp with current Petes players and coaches.

IMG_6629.jpeg

Reactions: Section5Petes

Howling In 16

Apr 11, 2012
In the past people in the know have rated the draft selections of the teams, any chance of that happening this year?

BigDevs93

Jul 7, 2021
Barrie Colts = B+

Added some good talent up front - Vaughan, Bowen, McCormick, Mace
2 studs on the back-end that are vastly different than eachother: Barton, Emerton
A great goalie with some potential in Jaswal
Didn't like their picks after round 8
Wildcard steal - John Mustard (06) set to be drafted to the NHL, but commited to Providence

Brantford = C

Not a fan of their draft overall, won't speak on their first rounder cause I really only saw him at the Youth Olympics.
Babin, Diplacido and Bogart are all decent d-men.
Gallacher could be a good 3rd line centre.

Erie = B-

I thought they did a good job with their draft capital
Challenger, Ambrosio and D'Alessio will all play in the O.
Fan of Wozney further down a lineup (3rd/4th line center with size)
Wasn't a fan of their picks after round 7

Flint = A-
Big fan of their picks overall
Zurawski, Tessier, Cunningham, Brandon, Morgan are all good players and got great value.
Took some chances of the back-end with some guys with size, but hopefully 1 or 2 of them pan out.
Lombardi in the 10th round is good value
Edgecumbe could a goalie in round 8 that pans out

Guelph = A
Great draft picking up McLean, Stevens, Rivard, Della Croce, Taylor, Newton.
One of the top goalies in Ellsworth, maybe the best one.
Only drafted 2 d-men but Frossard and Morris can both skate, have size and play a smart game.
Some good depth picks all round.

Kingston = B
Malhotra reporting would be HUGE for them but unsure there
They took some good kids up front in Kelly, Buttar, McQuaig, Oliver, Sled, Carter. A lot of potential there.
Betts was a stud in the playoffs and OHL Cup so he could be a #1 goalie in the future
Nettleton and Baker on the back-end are both good skaters and could play in 2 years.

TBC...

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
This photo was posted in the Petes thread earlier on the week. I believe this is a camp run by Petes coaches. Obviously this doesn’t mean he’s going to report but he’s at a camp with current Petes players and coaches.

View attachment 858515
i think your really looking deep into things. nate oake has been running camps for years, hes probably the only, or the best in the area, so if your drafted by whoever and from peterborough, you go to him. does that mean that caleb mitchell isnt reporting and wants to be traded to the petes? it can go both ways.

i think there is some truth to the rumour that sarnia didnt impress, their gm has a growing reputation of being a bit arrogant and hard to deal with, so maybe he turned the parents off, but if he wanted to go to the petes, he simply would have said 'no' to sarnia just like waslynn did. waslyn wanted to go to niagara, so he told both the petes and sarnia he would not report. fitzgerald simply would have told sarnia i dont want to go there, they would have moved onto dilorio and everyone would be happy.

the agent isnt going to burn down a relationship in green bay just so that the kid can fall one spot. the most direct and most common way to avoid a team is to straight up

Reactions: Section5Petes

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
i think your really looking deep into things. nate oake has been running camps for years, hes probably the only, or the best in the area, so if your drafted by whoever and from peterborough, you go to him. does that mean that caleb mitchell isnt reporting and wants to be traded to the petes? it can go both ways.

i think there is some truth to the rumour that sarnia didnt impress, their gm has a growing reputation of being a bit arrogant and hard to deal with, so maybe he turned the parents off, but if he wanted to go to the petes, he simply would have said 'no' to sarnia just like waslynn did. waslyn wanted to go to niagara, so he told both the petes and sarnia he would not report. fitzgerald simply would have told sarnia i dont want to go there, they would have moved onto dilorio and everyone would be happy.

the agent isnt going to burn down a relationship in green bay just so that the kid can fall one spot. the most direct and most common way to avoid a team is to straight up
We will see about this

Section7fan

Feb 12, 2018

I said it doesn’t mean he’s reporting. I do think it’s a little odd that they would allow him to get pictures posted on social media from a camp run by Petes coaches with his arms around a group of current Petes players with the media attention around him if there was zero chance of him reporting to the Petes.

Time will tell.

• Haha
Reactions: I Loveallsports

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
We will see about this
im not saying he wont come, im just saying the morning of the draft they had zero idea who they were taking, so its not like this was a cooked deal.

I said it doesn’t mean he’s reporting. I do think it’s a little odd that they would allow him to get pictures posted on social media from a camp run by Petes coaches with his arms around a group of current Petes players with the media attention around him if there was zero chance of him reporting to the Petes.

Time will tell.
i dont think the social media team calls the gm and asks what they can and cannot post. generally one has nothing to do with the other. i dont see mike oake scrolling instagram to be honest, that doesnt really seem to be his bag, i dont think he has a clue nor cares.

i cant sit here today and say he wont come, but its not a cooked deal and absolutely no promise that he will sign.

beleafer67

Apr 26, 2024
Apologies in advance if this question is not in the right place. For the 08's that were not selected, would it be better to go the U18AAA route, or Jr. C? (by better, I mean, more potential to grow their game + more visibility from scouts) I imagine it varies from area to area, but I've heard that U18AAA could have more skilled players, even though Jr. C is higher up in the order of leagues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad