2007 NHL Draft

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
Noticed the 2007 draft class produced some real gems in the later rounds.

PK Subban 43rd overall
Jamie Benn 129th overall
Carl Gunnarson 194th overall

There's other gems in this class drafted late.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

Just curious how scouts of all 30 teams missed out on talents like these that have gone on to win Art Ross and Norris?

Is it safe to say a good scouting system can be directly reflective to the success of a club?

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Benn's draft year in the BCHL: http://www.eliteprospects.com/league.php?leagueid=BCHL&season=2006

idk if you can consider a second rounder a gem; if you go through any year in the draft you'll likely find superstars in that round and later

Gunnar is nice for a 7th, but again every year there are a couple. We've hit on these later rounds because Bergman is a god and Euro players aren't as heavily scouted by the top guns

Hindsight is 20/20; some players just have different development curves

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
you can find people like gunnarson all the time in the 6th and 7th round every year ......
palat in 2011 who is >>> the gunn
stone in 2010
Anders Lee in 2009
spurgeon in 2008
ect.....

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007

PK Subban 43rd overall
Jamie Benn 129th overall

Just curious how scouts of all 30 teams missed out on talents like these that have gone on to win Art Ross and Norris?

Is it safe to say a good scouting system can be directly reflective to the success of a club?

Probably because scouting is an inexact science.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not all guys are primed and ready to go at 18. Here's a lengthy article on the Stars drafting Benn: http://stars.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=635104

Some highlights:

“We were lucky,” Les Jackson, Stars Director of Player Personnel, said of the selection of Benn. “If we were so smart, we would have had him earlier. If we knew he was going to be this good, he would have been a first-round pick.”

The 17-year-old left wing was putting up some big numbers for Victoria during the 2006-07 season, but he wasn’t creating much of a ruckus on the radar of those scouting young talent for the NHL draft.

The BCHL, a Junior ‘A’ league, is a level below and isn’t as heavily scouted as the Canada’s Major Junior hockey leagues – the Ontario Hockey League, Western Hockey League and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League – which produces a majority of draft picks each year, including 46 percent of the players drafted by NHL teams in 2007.

Playing in Victoria didn’t help – as you just don’t hop in your car and drive to Victoria, which is on Vancouver Island.

“You have to take a ferry or an airplane to get to where he played in junior,” Holland said. “The Victoria Royals weren’t in the Western Hockey League at the time and it was a process to get over there. You lost a day-and-a-half of travel because of the ferry. Lots of scouts decided to go see the (WHL’s) Vancouver Giants or the Seattle Thunderbirds.”

When talking to the coaches and talking to people, he was an outstanding baseball player and really never physically trained for hockey. You could tell his strength and conditioning wasn’t there.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Elite D-man
Elite Forward

Carl Gunnarsson? Bottom pairing d-man?

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
Regarding Gunnarsson, he still has 400 games under his belt and counting.

That year 2007 there seems to be a lot of late round picks that are doing well in the NHL.

It's also starting to make sense why Mark Hunter wanted the higher quantity of picks this year as this almost increases the odds of finding these gems in the later rounds.

If we get the drafting right, this is the key to success.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I think people are severely underestimating the value of a pick on Carl Gunnarrson in the 7th round. If it were that easy, I am pretty sure the leafs would draft a Carl Gunnarsson every year and trade him for a 1st/2nd rounder since he is a 2nd line player (which do go for late first/early 2nd round). The chances of drafting a roster player in 7th round is extremely slim. I doubt the poster is comparing Gunnarsson to Benn or Subban. He/she is merely acknowledging that the only player leafs drafted in 2007 was Gunarsson and that he made it to the big leagues.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

PK Subban 43rd overall
Jamie Benn 129th overall

Gunnarson a Gem? - a 3rd pairing D is a GEM?

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
I think people are severely underestimating the value of a pick on Carl Gunnarrson in the 7th round. If it were that easy, I am pretty sure the leafs would draft a Carl Gunnarsson every year and trade him for a 1st/2nd rounder since he is a 2nd line player (which do go for late first/early 2nd round). The chances of drafting a roster player in 7th round is extremely slim. I doubt the poster is comparing Gunnarsson to Benn or Subban. He/she is merely acknowledging that the only player leafs drafted in 2007 was Gunarsson and that he made it to the big leagues.

Thank you, this is exactly what I was saying.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
What a crapshoot the 2007 draft was, oh boy. I remember it was considered one of the weakest drafts in NHL history at the time, alongside the 1999 draft. Only slam dunk pick was Patrick Kane, everything else could have went either way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad