2007 HFNHL Mock Draft - Lottery Teams

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Because the Stanley cup winner has yet to be decided and the unclear stance on whether the new NHL drafting order rules will be used by us, the Florida Post will be doing their first round mock draft in two parts. This is part 1, which predicts selections 1 through 14, by teams involved in the HFNHL draft lottery.

1. Florida Panthers - Patrick Kane
The reality is that 5 out of the last 6 Florida Panther first round draft picks have come out of the Ontario Hockey League. With Kane, a star forward with the London Knights of the OHL, being the top rated prospect on several lists, this selection only makes sense. Kane gives the Panthers what they lack in a rather deep farm system, a potential star offensive winger. However, do not be surprised should the Panthers trade the 1st overall to move down a few spots to grab a different player that they may covet such as Jakub Voracek, James VanRiemsdyk, or Alexei Cherepanov.

2. Los Angeles Kings - Kyle Turris
Kings GM Michael McEwan is a BC native, which leads us to believe that he has probably seen quite a lot of Turris this past season in the BCHL. The reality of the situation suggests that Turris is the other half of the consensus top 2 with Patrick Kane, making his selection by the Kings even more realistic. If the Panthers should trade down from 1st overall however, expect Turris to become the 1st overall selection, leaving the Kings to choose Pat Kane.

3. Nashville Predators - James VanRiemsdyk
The Predators under GM Tony Kay, have shown little bias when it comes to choosing players withit's draft selections. The BPA strategy is at work with this selection, as the Predators grab VanRiemsdyk off of the US Under 18 team. He's a big strong kid whom has a lot of potential as a first line power winger and fits very well into the Predators organizational plan. If they don't go with JVR, expect that the Predators are uncontent with the 3rd overall pick and try to make a play to either move up in the draft or to drop down allowing them to have several selections in the first round.

4. Atlanta Thrashers - Alexei Cherepanov
Relatively new Thrashers GM Ryan Archer will be participating in his first HFNHL entry draft. Not much is known about his player drafting preference. We have the Thrashers selecting dynamic Russian forward Alexei Cherepanov, whom is a real wildcard. While issues have been brought up about his attitude and consistency, you can't really argue with the results he has put up, breaking Pavel Bure's record for rookie scoring in the RSL. Cherepanov would add an element to the Thrashers that is presently missing, a real dynamic offensive talent. If the Thrashers don't go with Cherepanov, they could go for organizational need and draft C Sam Gagner out of the OHL.

5. New York Islanders - Angelo Esposito
The Islanders go off the map a little bit, but they take a chance on Esposito whom has a ton of question marks, but a lot of offensive potential. The Islanders have a lot of future talent on the blueline like Marc Staal, MA Vlasic and Cody Franson, but lack that real future offensive superstar. If the Islanders should choose to go with the more safe talent, they could draft Jakub Voracek or Sam Gagner at this position. The Islanders could also try and trade up in the draft to secure one of the previously drafted 4 players whom have high potential.

6. Chicago Blackhawks - Sam Gagner
The Blackhawks under GM Dryden Lewis have shown a penchant for drafting North American players in the first round of the draft. Gagner is a strong two way, playmaking center who plays for the London Knights of the OHL. He fits well into the organizational make up of the Blackhawks. If Dryden Lewis throws away with his non european strategy, Jakub Voracek could be his main at this spot, especially since at this point he would be considered a faller.

7. Minnesota Wild - Jakub Voracek
Considered a top 5 pick in the draft, Mooseheads forward and Czech native, Jakub Voracek takes a slight fall. This could be because Voracek does not apparently have the same NHL potential as some of the players selected/ranked around him. Wild GM Greg Dockus has to be elated to get Voracek at this selection, as concerns over potential are often overanalyzed for players in the top 5-7 picks.

8. Montreal Canadiens - Karl Alzner
With the 8th pick, the Habs and GM Brassard draft the tough rearguard from the WHL. Alzner is another in the line of solid two way WHL defenders and makes an excellent pick at 8th overall. He supplies the Habs with a future solid defensive defenseman to pair with offensive defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti, the clubs first round selection at last years draft. It is possible that the Habs could also go for Ottawa 67's forward Logan Couture if it chooses to improve its organizational forward depth.

9. New York Islanders (from Washington Capitals) - Logan Couture
The Islanders use their second top 10 pick of the draft to select two way forward Logan Couture of the Ottawa 67's. Logan is a solid forward prospect whom has battled some injuries and illnesses. Once his consistency evens out, he should become a very solid player. The Islanders continue with their trend in drafting North American based prospects. The Islanders could also go with Russian forward Maxim Mayorov if they choose to select another offensive wildcard.

10. New York Rangers - Maxim Mayorov
The Rangers draft the wildcard Russian forward, whom supposedly carries with him a lot of offensive potential. Rangers GM Gaffney has shown a love for European players in the past and Mayorov fits that bill. The Rangers could also choose to go with physical imposing and slick skating WHL defender Keaton Ellerby.

11. Phoenix Coyotes - Zach Hamill
Coyotes GM Ryan Yessie is also participating in his first HFNHL draft and appears to be a real OHL buff. However, with no real OHL player expected to go in this range, Yessie can go with the WHL's Zach Hamill, whom is smaller in stature but offensively gifted. The Coyotes could also look to trade down in this instance in order to choose an OHL player later into the first round, or they could reach on a player like Oshawa Generals forward Brett Maclean.

12. Edmonton Oilers - Keaton Ellerby
The Oilers and GM Gledhil are known to take the BPA, which leaves WHL defender Keaton Ellerby as their man. Ellerby is a slick skater with a big frame who's still working out consistency issues. He's a bit of a project, but one that could pay off for the Oilers and considering their lack of prospect depth on the blueline, this pick appears to be the smart one.

13. Columbus Blue Jackets - Jonathan Blum
It's not that often that the Blue Jackets have a first round draft pick, however with the clubs struggles this past season, GM Douglas Emerson has 3 this year. His first pick in the draft could be defenseman Jonathan Blum of the Vancouver Giants. He's a solid, mostly offensive defenseman whom possesses a fair amount of potential despite having a smaller frame for a blueliner. The Jackets could also go after big wildcard blueliner Nick Petrecki or gritty WHL forward Brandon Sutter.

14. Boston Bruins - Nick Petrecki
Petrecki is another big wildcard in the draft. He's big and has all the tools, yet has failed to put everything together as of yet. The USHL defenseman is worth the gamble for the Bruins, whom have very little to no depth in the organization for young defenseman. The Bruins could also look at talented offensive blueliner Kevin Shattenkirk.

Stay tuned for part deux once the Stanley Cup is decided,
Esteban Santour,
Florida Post

Default101

very well done, Hamill is a good pick and it would probably come down to a toss up between him and Ellerby i have Kessel as a top end forward but ihave more depth as far as top 4 defenceman than i have top 6 forwards so it sounds like a good strategy for my team lol

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Again only one right, with Gagner to Chicago. Although, similarily to the playoff team mock, I managed to call Esposito to the right team, just with the wrong selection.

Maybe I shouldnt quit my day job!

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
Methinks someone must have been trying to trade down a pick or two. ;)

This is true, but nothing materialized. I was also a bit scared with the Kings shopping their second overall and perhaps I trade down a bit, and then the second overall gets traded and then that person selects my guy. In the end just gotta trust your instincts though!

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Again only one right, with Gagner to Chicago. Although, similarily to the playoff team mock, I managed to call Esposito to the right team, just with the wrong selection.

Maybe I shouldnt quit my day job!

Well I did actually want someone else but took my backup plan instead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad