2007 Draft player comparables???

RanfordIsGod

May 9, 2006
Just curious... I been reading these threads and amazed by your Junior players insight... curious if any of you would be interested in taking up my challenge of Comparing the top 10 or 15 prospect eligible for this years draft and comparing them to players in the league... I dont see nearly enough junior games... thanks in andvance for all your insights

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
cherepanov=semin
turris=sakic
alzner=foote
Kane=briere
gagner=datsyuk
van riemsdyk=knuble
petrecki=regeher
voracek=jagr
couture=brind'amour
gillies=svitov
andersson=arnott

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
cherepanov=semin
turris=sakic
alzner=foote
Kane=briere
gagner=datsyuk
van riemsdyk=knuble
petrecki=regeher
voracek=jagr
couture=brind'amour
gillies=svitov
andersson=arnott

Wow for a year thats considered a weak draft those are some pretty big names........i dont see the upsides of them nearly that high.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
Wow for a year thats considered a weak draft those are some pretty big names........i dont see the upsides of them nearly that high.

The type of game those prospects play is similar to those NHL stars, I don't think most people mean to say they will necessarily turn out to have careers equal to them. I mean Turris is good, and might play a game like Sakic but I hope no one thinks he'll be Sakic's equal.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
The type of game those prospects play is similar to those NHL stars, I don't think most people mean to say they will necessarily turn out to have careers equal to them. I mean Turris is good, and might play a game like Sakic but I hope no one thinks he'll be Sakic's equal.

The problem i find with most comparables is that people use them thinking that the upside is the same.........in the one in question there the guy has voracek comparable to jagr.......while i like voracek's game.......i dont think there really is a hope that he ends up nearly as good as jagr.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
The problem i find with most comparables is that people use them thinking that the upside is the same.........in the one in question there the guy has voracek comparable to jagr.......while i like voracek's game.......i dont think there really is a hope that he ends up nearly as good as jagr.

i dont mean that anyone is going to be as good as the guys i compared them with. its only their playing style i think is equal to those guys. and remember all of this guys play junior hockey and they dominate the same way there as the stars in the nhl does. so they might be completely different nhl'ers then they are junior players.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How on earth is vanRiemsdyk being compared to the likes of Mike Knuble? Knuble has made a nice career for himself, but JVR is MUCH more skilled and is a vastly superior skater. JVR compares his game to that if Rick Nash and Eric Staal, much more appropriate IMO.

CapGoodie

Feb 19, 2007
New Scotland
Cherepanov= Frolov

Turris= not enough exposure to know, but I'll use a left coast friends comparison to Lecavallier at that age.

Alzner= Ryan Whitney - should be where Ryan Whitney is now for the Penguins in a couple of years IMO.

Kane= Comrie + probably plays a little more like Briere but I'm not giving him that much credit yet.

Gagner= Ray Whitney

Van Riemsdyk= In between Isbister and Bertuzzi, seriously could be one of those power forwards people spend a decade waiting for a breakout year from. From reports at the 5 Nations I'm more confident he's going to be closer to a Knuble/Bert. Not quite the power of Bert, but probably better upside than Knuble in his hands.

Voracek= M.Satan. (My opinion is changing as he's started to dominate a little more but he has been a very 'now you see me/now you don't' star at times. Wasn't until the last month+ that he stopped being a player that dissappeared for long stretchs only to pop in here and there with a skill clinic.

Couture = B.Morrison/S.Horcoff

Gllies= R.Fata (speed demon with cruddy hands and little idea of what to do with the puck.) It'll be up to him to adapt to a different type of role as a speedy checker in the NHL IMO (unless the experiment of playing d continues).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad