2007-2008 HFNHL Resigning Guidelines

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
In the interests of creating a clearer and easier process in re-signing both pending RFA’s and UFA’s, the following option is now available to teams to “auto resign” their players.

Simply reference the particular players salary from www.nhlnumbers.com/ and match the term and salary to what they will be making starting in the 08/09 season and for the length of their remaining NHL deal, and the player will automatically re-sign.

Two examples to better illustrate the auto-signing process:

Let’s say Marek Zidlicky was a pending UFA at the end of this season. The team looking to re-sign him would visit the site, see that he has two years remaining at $3.5 million and could simply match this length with a 2 year x $3.5 million extension and Zidlicky with automatically resign at these terms.

Another example. If Tomas Vokoun were a pending UFA in the HFNHL. His real NHL salary starting next year has him signed for three more years with an average cap hit of $5.7 million (the actual salary year by year is not relevant – the average is, which is the cap hit for the entire length of the deal he signed). The team would tender a 3 year x $5.7 million deal, and Vokoun would automatically re-sign.

WHEN THE PLAYER WILL WANT MORE
If the player in the NHL signed his current deal with an extreme degree of loyalty (i.e. Martin Brodeur) and the team looking to sign Brodeur does not command the same degree of loyalty (i.e. a rental), then the player will demand more.

If accepting what their NHL salary is would amount to taking either a pay cut or taking less than what qualifying offers will give them in the coming years, then they will reserve the right to reject the offer (and only in the rarest of occasions would they accept).

WHEN THE PLAYER WILL TAKE LESS
If the player in the NHL signed their deal as a UFA or pending UFA, but the same player is only going to be a RFA in the HFNHL, they will accept less.

If the player signed an extremely long deal (i.e. 6 to 7 years), given we can only offer a maximum of 4 years, the player may discount their HFNHL deal given they are not getting the same length of deal. This will depend on the age of the player however, as the extra years can sometimes be to the players disadvantage (lost UFA years) versus advantage (much older, and likely past the prime they are in at the beginning of the deal).

So while the fundamental rule means that Scott Gomez would actually ask for more money than Jarome Iginla to resign based on their respective NHL salaries (average cap hits), the fact Gomez signed a much longer term deal means he will take a little less, and unless the team commands the same loyalty the NHL Flames do to Iginla, Jarome will be looking for more if the home town discount is not in play.

As all of you will see, this will quite likely pose some immediate advantages and simplify offers for SOME of your players. For others, it gets a little tougher given their NHL deal. But what it does, is tie together NHL salaries to HFNHL salaries in a simple and easy to calculate way, while eliminating the time required to negotiate every deal (which reached an all-time high last year). It also gives a general basis to begin negotiations for many players, which will also simplify things. Obviously if you want to re-sign a player for 4 years and they are only signed for 2 in the NHL, the same formula won’t apply, but it will give a basis to the negotiations, as the team will know the auto-sign option is always there for them.

Teams should still follow the appropriate format with the additional item of Status (prospect, pending UFA or pending RFA):

Player Name
Status (prospect, RFA, UFA, pending RFA, pending UFA)
Link to player vitals (www.nhlnumbers.com)
Current HFNHL contract (if applicable)
Current NHL contract (if applicable)
Offer: years x salary (i.e. 3 years x $500,000)
Notes: additional notes to his agent for consideration on the deal.

Example:

Wayne Primeau
Pending UFA
http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CGY
HFNHL Salary: $xxx,xxx
NHL Salary: 1,500,000
Offer: 2 years x $1,500,000
Notes: Matching the remaining term on his NHL deal with the Flames.

Hopefully this is clear. If there are any questions on this, feel free to post them here, so all teams can benefit from the ongoing Q&A.

Perhaps a moderator can sticky this post, so it is there going forward.

Last edited:

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
How does these new guidelines work for re-negotiations of pending RFA's/UFA's?

Will it be the current HFNHL salary + the current NHL salary for the remaining years divided by the total years of the contract?

I'll use Marek Zidlicky as an example. He was signed at 1,4m at the start of the 06-07 season in HFNHL and he had three years remaining on his NHL deal at $3.5 million.
Would the Oilers have been able to re-negotiate his deal to a 3 year deal, simply by offering him 1,4m+3,5m+3,5m = 8,4m total or an average of 2,8m per year?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
How does these new guidelines work for re-negotiations of pending RFA's/UFA's?

Will it be the current HFNHL salary + the current NHL salary for the remaining years divided by the total years of the contract?

I'll use Marek Zidlicky as an example. He was signed at 1,4m at the start of the 06-07 season in HFNHL and he had three years remaining on his NHL deal at $3.5 million.
Would the Oilers have been able to re-negotiate his deal to a 3 year deal, simply by offering him 1,4m+3,5m+3,5m = 8,4m total or an average of 2,8m per year?

Assuming the offer came in by the start of HFNHL season, yes. If not, the demands may go up a bit by the pro-rated lost salary increase already paid, but you've captured the spirit of it. For a player willing to sign an extension, getting the same amount but sooner, makes sense.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
One additional note - players will not re-sign for less than what they are currently making in the HFNHL. It is not meant to facilitate players taking a pay cut, nor giving up their rights to when it comes to QO's.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Assuming the offer came in by the start of HFNHL season, yes. If not, the demands may go up a bit by the pro-rated lost salary increase already paid, but you've captured the spirit of it. For a player willing to sign an extension, getting the same amount but sooner, makes sense.

Will this be calculated from the point that the offer was sent in or when the possible answer will come at some point? I sent in an offer before preseason and it has yet to be replied. Will the offer be adjusted to the date it is signed, or do I have to make a new offer for every game to always have the correct remaining salary for the season at any game day?

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Does Reggie still respond to the offers? Sent some in awhile ago and have yet to hear anything.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Reggie does get all the offers and will reply in due course. He has been prioritizing offers for teams to fill out their roster and other offers will be addressed in the next few weeks.

The date of the offer is the main consideration v when it was looked at, in particular when it is a fair offer the player will sign. If it is low-ball, then the delay can have an impact, but this obviously doesn't apply to the auto-resigning guidelines.

PasiK

Jun 11, 2007
Paimio, Finland
where I have been? never saw this thread before ... I need to rework my offers!

Sorry Abbas and Reggie .. I will send new offers soon

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Reggie ---
Does this mean that potential RFAs will not consider anything not in the ballpark of their NHL deals? Even if an unnamed player has 1 great season and cons a desperate GM to making a stupid offer and then said player falls off this season and is on pace for barely half the points?

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
Reggie ---
Does this mean that potential RFAs will not consider anything not in the ballpark of their NHL deals? Even if an unnamed player has 1 great season and cons a desperate GM to making a stupid offer and then said player falls off this season and is on pace for barely half the points?

Not to speak for the agents - but I just campaigned for Michael Ryder (who was an RFA) to be given a much lower salary than his Montreal deal. His Montreal deal is 2.95 and I offered only 2 million for a one year extension. I argued his play and future attributes and that this deal would bring him to UFA status, and he did sign the lower deal.. so it does seem possible in the right scenario.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Think I have a chance to sign Bergeron to less than the $5,000,000 a year he is getting in the NHL due to his concussion? :)

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Reggie ---

Might his initials be.... Thomas Vanek? :sarcasm:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Might his initials be.... Thomas Vanek? :sarcasm:

Not much better than Dustin Penner, who's not having a bad season, but certainly isn't earning anywhere close to his $4+ million...

Reggie/Mickey: my offers were before I understood that we could extend offers other than what the player was currently earning where there's good reason... I'll have to re-examine them and get back to you.

ThrashersGM

Dec 14, 2006
what if they are an RFA in the 08/09 season and don't have a contract amount, but I want to resign the player.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
what if they are an RFA in the 08/09 season and don't have a contract amount, but I want to resign the player.

Then the normal negotiation process applies - you can extend a qualifying offer to keep his rights, and then either wait for the NHL to set his value, or try to negotiate (with the appropriate Mr. Swingstein) an agreeable salary.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
New contracts v Extensions
(also added to this thread for reference purposes)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One element of re-signing players to reiterate to General Managers, is the option to sign a player to a new contract, that will basically mean tearing up the last remaining year of his current deal. I bring this up for two reasons. First, is so everyone understands what it means and that it is a legitimate option when considering re-signing a player. The second, is to ensure teams stop references these "per year" salaries in their references when trying to re-sign their own players.

First off, to clarify what this means, let say a player is in the last year of their contract at $1 million per year. They are currently being paid $5 million in the NHL, so you know you can auto-sign them after this season for $5 million. An option, is to offer to tear up the current last year of the deal, and depending on how much time is left in the season, put the new contract in place at a discount below $5 million so that the player will earn the same amount of money as they would have with a pure extension, but they get some of the money sooner (i.e. it acts like a signing bonus right now).

For the player in question, let's say the season is at the mid-point, so you know the rest of the current year they will earn $500k, and in the next three season they would earn $5 million per with an extension, for a total of $15.5 million. What you could do, is offer to implement a 4 year x $4.5 million contract starting IMMEDIATELY, so they will earn $2.25 for the remainder of this year (basically a bonus of $1.75 million) and then $4.5 for the following three seasons for a total of $15.75 million - more than they would have with a regular extension, and they get some of hte money sooner.

The advantage for the team, is of course a lower per year salary that helps with salary cap issues. The disadvantages is eats up cap room in the current season (you need the cap room to work with), and you also can only sign a player to a maximum of three years beyond the current year, given the maximum contraact length is 4 years.

However, there are obviously circumstances where this works out for both player and team very well.

The second reason we bring this up, is because this has already been used in the past quite a few times by many teams, and other general managers have to be careful referencing some of the per year contracts for these players, because they don't account for the signing bonus the player basically received by tearing up their old deal. In the example above, a different general manager could reference the $4.5 million salary to compare to a similar player they are trying to re-sign (when the player really got better than a $5 million salary equivalent).

We are going to start tracking these types of deals going forward in a better way, but for players like Miller, Bouwmeester, Giguere and Thornton, these types of deals were put in place for all of them, so be sure to be careful not to reference these types of deals when you are offering an extension to your player (it often works against you when you factor in the bonus the player received).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad