2006 WJC bid submission

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
leafssuck said:
I know Halifax was putting in a bid.

Québec is going to get it, David Branch already said that he wants Québec to have it, and the organization did a great job for the Memorial Cup

BCCHL inactive

FSU Seminoles said:
Québec is going to get it, David Branch already said that he wants Québec to have it, and the organization did a great job for the Memorial Cup

Unfortunately David Branch is not Hockey Canada or the IIHF. He has nothing to do with it.

I think the 2006 World U20 Championship will be the first major pre-Olympic event for Vancouver.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Edmonton has submitted a bid, that is being backed by the Edmonton Oilers. According to president Pat Laforge, the Oilers are the only NHL team support a bid. The Oilers will play on the road during the tournament, which will allow Rexall Place and the Agricom to be used for the games. Edmonton's bid he says will be highly regarded, considering the success of Edmonton when hosting other major international events.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
are there any links with any bid confirmations?? i'm not interested in who was going to make a bid, i'm interested in who officially made a bid. i'm also not looking to start another debate about which city will supposedly win.

i did learn that ottawa officially bid (on dec. 31 i think). i'll post the link as soon as i find it again.

thanks in advance.

Pond Hockey

Jun 9, 2002
Tricolore#20 said:
According to president Pat Laforge, the Oilers are the only NHL team support a bid.
Thats wrong, the Senators are supporting Ottawa's bid. You'll see that on the Sens' website.

Do you have a link confirming Edmonton's bid?

BCCHL inactive

The deadline was today. You are not going to find many confirmation news links this evening. Not even Hockey Canada has published who has submitted bids yet.

PEli*

I hope a non NHL city like Saskatoon or London/Kitchener gets it. I know Vancouver is a nice city and is gearing up for the 2010 games but I'd rather see junior towns rewarded.

"Small" towns like Saskatoon, London/Kitchener and Halifax have supported their junior teams without question for as long as I can remember. Winnipeg, Quebec City and Hamilton would also be good choices.

I would be disappointed to see the tournament go to a big city like Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton or Montreal, who already have the pleasure of NHL teams, AHL teams (in some cases) and junior teams.

The WJCs belong in junior cities. Not NHL cities.

YellHockey*

PEli said:
I hope a non NHL city like Saskatoon or London/Kitchener gets it. I know Vancouver is a nice city and is gearing up for the 2010 games but I'd rather see junior towns rewarded.

"Small" towns like Saskatoon, London/Kitchener and Halifax have supported their junior teams without question for as long as I can remember. Winnipeg, Quebec City and Hamilton would also be good choices.

Why would Winnipeg or Hamilton be good choices? They don't even have junior clubs!

There hasn't been a city in Canada that has supported their junior club like Ottawa has.

Ottawa deserves the tournament more then any other bidder. The best CHL attendance. The best pair of venues. Success at holding the Memorial Cup.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Everyone obviously has reasons why their city should win the bid...who ever wins it will be deserving and have a great tournament.

TexSen

Nov 20, 2003
Schaefer..Beer..mmmm
Yep, everyone is a winner with this no matter who gets it.

Ottawa's bid has been accompanied with over 10,000 deposits for seats. Deposit level was $25.00 I think.

Info can be found on the Sens site.

The 67's owner Jeff Hunt was quoted as saying he felt that with launching a seat deposit campaign prior to submitting the bid it would make Ottawa's bid stand out.

I hope he's right, but again, no sour grapes and big congrats to whoever gets it.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I'm biased towards the London/Kitchener bid, but as long as the tournament is awarded to a city that supports junior hockey the rest of the year, I'll be satisfied. That excludes Toronto (400 people at a game doesn't qualify as supporting a team) and Hamilton.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Ottawa obviously has the advantage of a 18,500 seat stadium AND a 10,500 seat stadium, which I don't think too many (if any) other bids can match. We have also hosted the mem-cup and have GREAT junior attendance (2 teams).

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
Pretty sure the Vancouver bid COULD match that....They've got GM Place and the Pacific Colliseum, which current holds 7500...but that doesn't include the upper deck....so if that were to be opened, Vancouver matches that easy

Other than htat though, the only reason I'd want it in Vancouver is due to the fact it's relatively easy to get to....all in all, I'd like to see Saskatoon or Winnipeg get the WJCs

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
TexSen said:
Yep, everyone is a winner with this no matter who gets it.

Ottawa's bid has been accompanied with over 10,000 deposits for seats. Deposit level was $25.00 I think.

Info can be found on the Sens site.

The 67's owner Jeff Hunt was quoted as saying he felt that with launching a seat deposit campaign prior to submitting the bid it would make Ottawa's bid stand out.

I hope he's right, but again, no sour grapes and big congrats to whoever gets it.

The Oiler's came with 12000 deposits at $50.

YellHockey*

slats432 said:
The Oiler's came with 12000 deposits at $50.

Ottawa is now over 12,000 deposits but at only $25.

However, Edmonton is at a disadvantage to Ottawa for the following reasons.

The Corel Centre is a better venue then Rexall Place.

The Civic Centre is a better venue then Edmonton's secondary venue.

Ottawa has done a better job supporting junior hockey then Edmonton.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
BigDaddyMeatWhistle said:
Ottawa has done a better job supporting junior hockey then Edmonton.

That was specifically because of the relationship between the old Oiler ownership and the WHL team.

But I am not saying the Edmonton bid is better than anyone elses. It is competitive though.

YellHockey*

slats432 said:
That was specifically because of the relationship between the old Oiler ownership and the WHL team.

But I am not saying the Edmonton bid is better than anyone elses. It is competitive though.

What was the relationship between the Oiler ownership and the WHL team?

On the surface, the Ottawa bid seems head and shoulders above the other bids. However, who knows when it comes to dollars if some market wants to subsidize their bid with some outlandish dollar amount.

After the Ottawa bid, all the others seem to have their pros and cons. I just don't see the Ottawa bid having any cons.

PEli*

BigDaddyMeatWhistle said:
Why would Winnipeg or Hamilton be good choices? They don't even have junior clubs!

How could you doubt Winnipeg in the first place? So they don't have a junior club. They have proven that they can support the WJCs with no problem at all. There are no other big name teams in town to take the dollars out of the fans' pockets. The same can be said for Hamilton.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
PEli said:
How could you doubt Winnipeg in the first place? So they don't have a junior club. They have proven that they can support the WJCs with no problem at all. There are no other big name teams in town to take the dollars out of the fans' pockets. The same can be said for Hamilton.
Hamilton doesn't throw a lot of support to their AHL franchise until there is a threat to move it. There would be fan support for it from London, Kitchener, Guelph - possibly also Sarnia, Windsor, Owen Sound, Mississauga.

It's a good location, but it grates on me that they don't support junior hockey the rest of the time - so don't come asking when there is money to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad