2006 Mock Draft (1st round selection)

C-Saku Koivu MTL

Aug 26, 2004
Montreal
A few suprise pick. I probably won't have them right but I surely expect some at draft day just like previous years. I added a couple of comments.

1- STL: D- E.Johnson - The obvious pick. Best player and potential of the draft. A cornerstone franchise player.

2- PIT: C- J.Toews - The most logical and best fit long term for the organization. Most complete and more intangible to support Crosby/Malkin better than anyone else. A team player and coach dream.

3- CHI: C- J.Staal - The potential and talent is all there. Patience and work will be key.

4- WAS: C- D.Brassard - Somewhat the first suprise. B.Richards written all over him. Speed to follow Ovechkin everywhere on the ice, shows up every game. Vision and unmatche playmaking ability to make Ovechkin dream. The best fit for WAS futur.

5- BOS: C- N.Backstrom - The ability and potential to dominate games. World class talent and ready to make the jump wich is what Boston needs.

6- CLB: C/W- P.Kessel - Well much like in 05, CLB sees the top 2 guy in their eyes fall in their hands. Having a Brule/Kessel duo along with Nash make CLB a team to watch for the future. PIT might just have competition here.

7- NYI: C- P.Mueller - Simply the BPA at that spot. Defence will be a need but they won't pass on Mueller at all.

8- PHO: W- J.Tlusty - BPA and also convering a need. Gamebreaking potential.

9- MIN: W- K.Okposo - The player they wanted all along and a home town boy to booth.

10- FLA: W- M.Frolik - FLA They just can't pass on Frolik at this point. The potential of this pick is priceless.

11- LAK: D- C.Summers - The biggest suprise of the draft so far. A off the board pick that could really pay off for the Kings. Summer is seing has potentially be the 2nd best D-man of the draft after Johnson.

12- ATL: D- B.Sanguinetti - BPA and also covering a tremendus present and futur need: a world class puck-moving offensive D-man. Witht he likes of Coburn/Exelby and Valabik, the addition of a D of the caliber of Sangui was key for ATL's futur.

13- TOR: C- B.Little - BPA with the best potential.

14- VAN: C/W- J.Sheppard - PF top 2 line potential...whats not to like about that.

15- TBL: W- C.Stewart - BPA and also covers a long term need for TB.

16- MTL: D- I.Vishnevski - The most pure talented D-man of the draft, the Habs just can't pass on this guy. Hope for him to turn out like Markov (maybe better). Defensive game will have to upgrade, if not, look for Tverdovsky#2.

17- MIN: D- D.Persson - Possibly an off the board pick for some, not for others. A very talented D-man and doesn't make many mistake. Can control a game.

18- COL: D- D.Fischer - Avs will need defence, Fischer has great potential.

19- ANA: C- P.Berglund - BPA for me. Ducks don't need anything so getting another great center is never too much.

20- SJS: D- N.Williams - SJ goes for the homerun pick here. They lost alot of D depth over the year but are still very solid. Wiliams has all the potential.

21- NYR: W- M.Grabner - BPA and the best fit for NY. A team need is also covert with this pick

22- PHI: D- Y.Alexandrov - Phi is and will be in big need of defence. Yuri is the best one avalaible witht the best potential. We all know why is fall a bit.

23- NJD: D- T.Wishart - NJ lost alot of depth in their defence with the last year. Wishart was highly regard but is now falling. Still he fits well with NJ systeme and can be consider a safe pick. Potential can be question and at 6'5, he needs to get better with his physsical play.

24- CAL: C- O.Fiala - BPA and also a huge need for Calgary. Fiala is a skilled center with good potential. Might not be the N1 C they desperatly need but is still an important pick for the organization.

25- WAS: C- A.Anisimov - Huge potential and a big center. With Brassard beign below average in size, Anisimov is a great pick for WAS here.

26- BUF: D-M.Weber - With BUF depth on offence, Weber is a solid pick for the organization. With McKee set for UFA, BUF might need defence depth in the futur, and Weber is a solid one, not spectacular but effective and reliable.

27- STL: W- C.Giroux - After picking Johnson first, STL is looking for and explosive foward to help the team in their progresse. Giroux is an homerun type pick. 103 PTS in his first year but comes from nowhere, kinda like Pouliot last year. Difference is that Giroux size is the question. Pominville written all over him.

28- DAL: G- R.Helenius - Suprise pick a little, considering also that Bernier is consider the best goalie. With the recent p[lay and domination of finns goalie package with the dark cloud over Turco's head, DAL takes a gamble on Helenius.

29- OTT: W- C.Clutterbuck - Caracter and physsical play his what Ottawa needs and will continue to need until they decide to pick players like him. Potential of being a Morrow/Tucker/Torres type witch is what the sens need. Offensive potential is question.

30- DET: D- C.Sneep - With their defence getting old, Detroit will need some quality ones in the futur. Sneep is just that.

Well thats it. Like I said a couple of suprise pick. Fans don't like when it's thier team that gets the off the board pick but hey that's how it is. ;)

Last edited:

X0ssbar

Love the mock. Full of slips/reaches and surprises. Exactly what most drafts end up being.

That and I would fall over from disbelief if Kessel fell into the CBJ's laps at 6 but stranger things have happend.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
11- LAK: D- C.Summers - The biggest suprise of the draft so far. A off the board pick that could really pay off for the Kings. Summer is seing has potentially be the 2nd best D-man of the draft after Johnson.

I have never seen the Kings go off the board before.....if this does in fact happen.....I hope it doesn't bite the Kings in the arse. :eek:

insider

Nov 14, 2003
Spit the goods. Why you so high on Summers. And Berglund.

Not that I disagree though...

CH Wizard

good mock man...like somebody else said..it's unique cause there are lots of surprises.

The Fischer...to the avs pick MAKES SENSE!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad