2005 Top 30 Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
X-SHARKIE said:
Here is my top 30 for 2005. I had some help from a good friend. I havent seen half of these players.

You'll notice the North American flavor in this draft, mainly Canadian Junior, because I havent really seen any of the top international prospects.

One note: Sharks have been playing to the draft strengths in the past few years, forward in the 1st round, goaltenders rest of the draft in 2004, 2003 alot of forwards. So i'm happy to see such a deep draft in great defensman prospects ready for when the Sharks need to select one. :)

1. F Sidney Crosby
2. F Gilbert Brule
3. F Guillaume Latendresse
4. D Vitaly Anikeenko
5. F Daniel Bertram
6. D Jakub Kindl
7. D Jack Johnson
8. D Teemu Lakkso
9. G Tuukka Rask
10. F Chris Durand
11. F Chris Gawlick
12. F Andrew Cogliano
13. D Risto Korhonen
14. F Bobby Ryan
16. D Jakub Vojta
17. C Devin Setogushi
18. D Marc Staal
19. G Ryan Mior
20. F Marek Zagrapan
21. D Matt Lahoff
22. F Gennady Churilov
23. G JP Levasseur
24. D Vyacheslav Buravchikov
25. F Ryan O'Marra
26. F Alex Bourret
27. F Patrick Davis
28. D Devereaux Hesmatpour
29. D Ryan Wilson
30. D Mike Gauthier

J-P Paquet will be picked ahead of Heshmatpour and Gauthier, Levasseur will go ahead of Mior and Denis Istomin will go before Patrick Davis and O'Marra for sure. I still think that Chris Lawrence could make a run as well for a 1st round spot.

X-SHARKIE

moosefan said:
J-P Paquet will be picked ahead of Heshmatpour and Gauthier, Levasseur will go ahead of Mior and Denis Istomin will go before Patrick Davis and O'Marra for sure. I still think that Chris Lawrence could make a run as well for a 1st round spot.

To be fair, Mior is the only goaltender i've seen, excluding Rask. I was very impressed with Ryan.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a goalie from the Q get alot of pre draft hype and end up being a stud :)

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
X-SHARKIE said:
To be fair, Mior is the only goaltender i've seen, excluding Rask. I was very impressed with Ryan.

Although I wouldn't be surprised to see a goalie from the Q get alot of pre draft hype and end up being a stud :)

on your top 30 I have seen 24 of the guys play a few games live. Little easier for me to make judgement. If you thought Mior was good you should see Levasseur, he has Marc_Andre Fleury quickness but he stays in better position than Fleury, though Fleury has good positioning, he tends to try to make saves look too good at times where as Levasseur isn't like that but he ends up any way making some super nice saves.

X-SHARKIE

moosefan said:
on your top 30 I have seen 24 of the guys play a few games live. Little easier for me to make judgement. If you thought Mior was good you should see Levasseur, he has Marc_Andre Fleury quickness but he stays in better position than Fleury, though Fleury has good positioning, he tends to try to make saves look too good at times where as Levasseur isn't like that but he ends up any way making some super nice saves.

Thanks Moose, you echoed my friend who has seen him. He said he has unreal quickness but isn't the smartest goalie.

Quick reflexes is the #1 thing I look for, but if he makes the simple saves look easy then it's a bigger knock on him then you think, You just can't survive in the NHL if you do that.

Sounds like a goaltender with some coaching and devolopment, could be an absolute stud.

I also heard he's loosey goosey with the puck and some times tries to play it to much and gets in trouble.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
I don't suppose anyone knows the first thing about Anze Kopitar (from Slovenia)? ISS had him 10th in their early 2005 list.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Seachd said:
I don't suppose anyone knows the first thing about Anze Kopitar (from Slovenia)? ISS had him 10th in their early 2005 list.

Never even heard of the name before but its great that you said him Seachd so hopefully i can find some info on him and possibly add him to my list

Kitsune

Feb 20, 2003
Toronto ON CA
www.glidingeagle.com
Nick Foligno(mikes son) has decided not to go the USNTDP route and will instead suite up for the Sudbury Wolves this upcoming season. I believe 2005 is his draft year as well. Needless to say, I cant wait to get a look at this kid.

As well, Kyle Lamb is Staals partner, hes a shoe in for a top second round pick, and I wouldnt be surprised if hes stock rose for the 05 draft considering he played the U17 beutifully, get game MVP honours after the gold medal match.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
A Lone Wolf said:
Nick Foligno(mikes son) has decided not to go the USNTDP route and will instead suite up for the Sudbury Wolves this upcoming season. I believe 2005 is his draft year as well. Needless to say, I cant wait to get a look at this kid.

He's a late '87, 2006 draft eligible.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Seachd said:

All I know is that he's a Center, 6'2 192 and I think he's going to play in Sweden next year, not 100% on it being Sweden though. ISS has him very high for next year, and talks about his impressive offensive abilities.

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Anybody who says Brule #1 over crosby should be shot also saying that anybody who say Anikeenko #2 over brule should aslo give their heads a good shakin ;)

Apr 6, 2004
Jack Johnson....

For those of you who don't know much about him, this kid is going to be a damn good defenseman. I was lucky enough to play with him a 2 summers ago at Red Berenson's summer training camp at U of M. He skates exceptionally well and has the stick skills that can compete with some of the top D-men in the league. But for the 3 weeks i played with him the thing that stood out the most was just his overall knowledge of the game, positioning and what-not. If a comparison is neccessary, it would be a mixture of Gonchar and Leetch. Some responses would be nice no matter your opinion. Enjoy.

**** AO In '04 ****

db23

All the lists have Bertram way too high, and Jack Johnson way too low. According to some scouts at the L.A. Kings development camp, Crosby and Johnson could go 1-2 in the draft. Bertram is undersized and would need to score an awful lot of points in the NCAA to be a top pick.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
db23 said:
All the lists have Bertram way too high, and Jack Johnson way too low. According to some scouts at the L.A. Kings development camp, Crosby and Johnson could go 1-2 in the draft. Bertram is undersized and would need to score an awful lot of points in the NCAA to be a top pick.

Isn't Bertram roughly the same size as Crosy and Brule?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
db23 said:

Ummmm.....Jack Johnson is only 6' 190lbs and that ain't too damn big for a D-man. Bertram at last report was about 5'11 180lbs and if he ups it to 6' or 6'1 then there will be absolutely no questions about his size. Btw, Crosby and Bertram last season were basically the same height and weight.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
HabLover said:
Ummmm.....Jack Johnson is only 6' 190lbs and that ain't too damn big for a D-man. Bertram at last report was about 5'11 180lbs and if he ups it to 6' or 6'1 then there will be absolutely no questions about his size. Btw, Crosby and Bertram last season were basically the same height and weight.

So you can criticize Jack Johnson about size, but not Bertram because he can still grow? Newsflash, so can Jack Johnson. Sometimes, I wonder if even you are amazed at what you spew.

db23

HabLover said:

Johnson was listed at 6-0, 197 pounds when Michigan recurited him over a year ago. I doubt that he has gotten smaller over the past 18 months or so. Bertram is listed at 5-11, 175 on the B.C. website.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
db23 said:
Johnson was listed at 6-0, 197 pounds when Michigan recurited him over a year ago. I doubt that he has gotten smaller over the past 18 months or so. Bertram is listed at 5-11, 175 on the B.C. website.

And we all know that athlete listings are always accurate. :lol:

db23

PuckFan01 said:
And we all know that athlete listings are always accurate. :lol:

Well, O.K., not as accurate as those supplied by some biased poster on a message board..... :shakehead

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
montreal said:
Sigalet was considered a 1st round pick early this year by ISS. I haven't seen Bowling Green yet, as they never show them on directv sports pack, which shows up to around 5 NCAA games on friday nights. Hopefully BG is shown this year, but from what I've read, he is impressive.

Take a closer look at the schedules...

I saw four Bowling Green games on the dish this season- two were on FoxSports Detroit, when they played Michigan and Michigan St. and they were also on College Sports Network twice, playing Northern Michigan and Ohio State.

Sigalet was up and down. Definitely a skill player, but he got knocked around a good bit against Michigan.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Kirk- NEHJ said:
Take a closer look at the schedules...

I saw four Bowling Green games on the dish this season- two were on FoxSports Detroit, when they played Michigan and Michigan St. and they were also on College Sports Network twice, playing Northern Michigan and Ohio State.

Sigalet was up and down. Definitely a skill player, but he got knocked around a good bit against Michigan.

Thanks. Your refering to directv correct? I'm actually more of a ECAC fan, so I look for those games first and foremost. Hopefully the new tv deal with the ECAC and CSTV will result in more games on tv!

db23

Sigalet was rated highly early in the year based on his previous season with the Salmon Arm Silverbacks. He scored a point a game for that team as a 16 year old defenseman. By way of comparison, he had the same number of points in less games than teammate Travis Zajac (who was a year older) had. :eek:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
NucksFan said:
Scott Jackson from Seattle will be a 1st rounder.

there is about a 100 guys in this draft who should all be 1st rounders though. This is going to be better than 2003 IMO by far. The 1st round has alot better talent (not saying that 2003 was bad cause it is a super draft, just saying that through the top 30 in the 1st the talent is all players that could be top 10 in almost any draft year) and the top 5 talent is better than 2003 with Crosby, Brule, Anikeenko, Bertram, Latendresse you reall can't get better than that. The 2nd round is just as good as the middle to late 1st round and the 3rd round has guys who would normally be mid to late 1st round picks. This draft just keeps getting deeper and deeper while time goes on and more players emerge with their talent, it is a very scary draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad