2005 Draft: Whos Better! (Skille or O'Marra)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Machine

Mar 3, 2002
Calgary, Alberta
Both players are very hard workers, play a two way style, and contain solid but not spectacular offensive instincts. Both are Centers, and are almost exactly the same size (O'Marra 6'1 195, Skille 6'1 200). The only knock these two players have are that they are not as flashy as the likes of a Benoit Pouliot or Ryan Stoa. Who is better right now? Who has more potenitial?

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
If i had the pick...i'd trade one down and pick the latter in the next pick. Both are quite similar..but i think Skille has more potential.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Red Machine said:
Both players are very hard workers, play a two way style, and contain solid but not spectacular offensive instincts. Both are Centers, and are almost exactly the same size (O'Marra 6'1 195, Skille 6'1 200). The only knock these two players have are that they are not as flashy as the likes of a Benoit Pouliot or Ryan Stoa. Who is better right now? Who has more potenitial?

I haven't seen them play, but from what I have heard, O'Marra seems to have more elite skills. He has been rated higher more consistently. He is used to being in the league leaders in scoring. Skille may be underrated. I think both turn into really excellent pros. This is where this draft excels, not in the top end but maybe 10-50 all better than in past years.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
I say O'Marra, I really think SKille is going to have trouble making the adjustment to pro hockey. I really think he isn't going to be what people think he will be. Same as Stoa I don't think he is going to be 1st round material but his size is interesting factor.

VernonForrest

Feb 20, 2003
San Diego
scoutman1 said:
I say O'Marra, I really think SKille is going to have trouble making the adjustment to pro hockey. I really think he isn't going to be what people think he will be. Same as Stoa I don't think he is going to be 1st round material but his size is interesting factor.

Are you joking? How does a guy with a terrific work ethic, good strength and great hockey sense have a tougher time adjusting to a higher level than a kid who is basically just a shooter and makes a lot of bad decisions such as O'Marra.

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
scoutman1 said:

I like Skille, and I belive that he will be a good pro player. He might not put up the points people think that he will, but he will be a good PF down the road and he is worthy a 1st round selection.

Stoa on the other hand is not even close to the first round IMO. I have seen them both in the U-18 tournament in Sweden and Stoa looked like a possible 4th line grinder at best. I was expecting big things from a player with his size and skating ability. He didn´t do anything to prove that he has the potential to be a top-6 forward down the road! I can´t understand all the buzz that he is going to be a 1st rounder! He might be a solid 5th-6th rounder at best!!!

It´s unbelivible when you see some rankings and mockdrafts that have Stoa in the top-20. I don´t know what to do, laugh or cry.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mr. Zzzz said:
I like Skille, and I belive that he will be a good pro player. He might not put up the points people think that he will, but he will be a good PF down the road and he is worthy a 1st round selection.

Stoa on the other hand is not even close to the first round IMO. I have seen them both in the U-18 tournament in Sweden and Stoa looked like a possible 4th line grinder at best. I was expecting big things from a player with his size and skating ability. He didn´t do anything to prove that he has the potential to be a top-6 forward down the road! I can´t understand all the buzz that he is going to be a 1st rounder! He might be a solid 5th-6th rounder at best!!!

It´s unbelivible when you see some rankings and mockdrafts that have Stoa in the top-20. I don´t know what to do, laugh or cry.

I find it unbelievable that people determine a player's potential based on one tournament.

Zoran Manojlovic

Apr 22, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I find it unbelievable that people determine a player's potential based on one tournament.

Well, it doasn´t take much time to spot a good prospect, and I must say that the same goes for a BAD prospect. No offensive potential what so ever! I can also assure you that my opinion wasn´t an isolated case at the tournament...

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
I've only seen Stoa once but from what I saw he wasn't too impressive. He reminded me a bit of present Gopher Barry Tallackson. Tallackson was getting some hype as a potential first rounder in his draft year ('03) and considering his size and mobility that makes sense. Now I can't stand watching him with the Gophers. I hear all the time about his inconsistancy, and how he can dominate in some games but I must be missing all that because I haven't been impressed with him since the end of his sophmore year. I hear good things about Stoa but he also has a tendency to go invisible at certain times. Last summer at the tournament for US '87s USHR felt that he was a "man among boys" in the first game. Then he played so poorly in the rest of the games that they dropped him out of thier top 68 forwards list for the tournament. In other words they felt guys who don't have a prayer of being drafted were better than him at that tournament. Being that inconsistant just plain scares me.

As for Skille, he seems like a good player. He's got good skills for a PF type. I've only seen O'Marra once over a year ago so I can't really coment on his game.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
A bit off topic - Durand was ranked earlier in the season around 10-15 on most lists and seems to be dropping off the end of the earth. Is it this year's production that has seen him freefall or what?

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Mr. Zzzz

If you have the time could you give me some more impressions from the U18 tournament? I'm particularly interested in the US team but I'm curious about who stood out from the other teams as well. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad